If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 24th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
OPEL ROCKS-E TINY EV REVEALED AS REBADGED CITROEN AMI
– the Opel Rocks-e is essentially a rebadged Citroën Ami, meaning it’s not a car per se, but rather a quadricycle based on the European Union classification.
– Speaking of which, it inherits the tiny 5.5-kWh pack from its French equivalent, giving it a maximum WLTP range of 47 miles (75 kilometres).
– As it’s the case with the Citroën Ami, the doors open in opposite directions and the Rocks-e has several interchangeable body parts. The diminutive two-seater EV gets Opel’s Vizor front-end treatment, although it’s not much different when compared to the donor car.
– Opel Rocks-e is powered by an electric motor producing just eight horsepower (six kilowatts) for a top speed of 45 km/h (28 mph). It can be legally driven in Europe from the age of 15
– In its home market Deutschland, the little EV will be sold in base, Klub, and TeKno trim levels.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/528670/2022-opel-rocks-e-revealed
MAZDA MX-30 EV TO START AT $34,645, OFFER 100 MILES OF RANGE
– Mazda’s first attempt at an electric vehicle is a quirky small SUV with RX-8–style doors, and we now know how much it will cost. Starting at $34,645, the 2022 MX-30 is slated to go on sale in California starting in October.
– 143-hp electric motor powering the front wheels and a small battery pack—we estimate a net capacity of around 32.0 kWh—that Mazda says will provide a paltry 100 miles of EPA-estimated range.
– The 2022 Chevy Bolt EV, for instance, starts at $31,995 and offers more than double the Mazda’s range—259 miles according to the EPA.
– Nissan Leaf, which just received a price cut, starts well under $30,000 and offers an estimated 149 miles of range in its base form.
– Mazda is including a loaner program for MX-30 buyers that allows them to borrow a gas-powered Mazda from a dealership for up to 10 days per year
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37383713/2022-mazda-mx-30-ev-price/
RAM PROMASTER COMMERCIAL VAN GETS 2022 REFRESH, ELECTRIC BATTERY IN 2023
– Ram will offer an all-electric ProMaster commercial van in 2023 in response to consumer demand, Stellantis NV said Tuesday, making it one of the first EVs to be offered by the automaker’s U.S.-based brands.
– A timeline shared earlier this month did not include an all-electric Ram launch through the first half of 2023, suggesting an electric ProMaster could debut in the latter half of the year. A Jeep EV is pegged for early 2023.
PORSCHE UPDATES TAYCAN AND TAYCAN CROSS TURISMO FOR 2022 MY
– Paint to Sample option which adds 65 additional colors to the 17 already in the standard palette.
– the Taycan can now be equipped with optional Remote Park Assist, that does exactly what it says: it allows the user to control the vehicle’s movement via smartphone app and park it remotely without having to be in the driver’s seat.
– Android Auto (wired) is now directly integrated into the Porsche Communications Management infotainment system,
– Porsche also mentioned that the revised Taycan’s range has been improved, but it doesn’t specify by how much.
– The thermal management and charging functions have also been further improved as part of a series of technological developments to further optimize the Taycan’s drivetrain. With the Turbo Charging Planner, the high-voltage battery can now be heated to a slightly higher temperature than before. This means that fast charging is possible earlier and at a higher charge level, further reducing the time it takes to charge. In addition, the excess heat from the electrical components is used to an even greater extent for battery temperature regulation.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/528646/porsche-taycan-update-2022-modelyear
RIVIAN SETTING ITS GLOBAL PRESENCE BEFORE ITS FIRST DELIVERIES
– Four job opportunities from Rivian in Europe were observed. Which include four job opportunities in the Netherlands and one in Germany. Next month Rivian is set to start with R1T deliveries, possibly the first electric pickups in the market to be launched for the public.
– The job postings in the Netherlands state one in delivery and field operations, and the other three in service. All jobs are located in North Holland, Amsterdam. Here the service position says it as compliance, field service planning, and collision repair. And the delivery and field operations positions are stated as Enterprise Launch Program Manager
– In Germany, the job position is for a technician who can help with pre-production vehicles.
WAYMO IS NOW PICKING UP RIDERS IN ITS SELF-DRIVING ROBOTAXIS
– Alphabet’s autonomous driving division Waymo, which spun out of Google’s self-driving car project, has launched its commercial robotaxi service in San Francisco for a select group of early testers. The company was approved to begin picking up passengers in its driverless vehicles for the first time in the city after extensively testing its technology using safety drivers behind the wheel.
– The experience of riding in one of Waymo’s autonomous vehicles is just like taking a trip with Uber. Riders can summon one of Waymo’s fully-electric Jaguar I-Pace SUVs using the Waymo One app. Once seated and bucked up, riders press the trip start button to begin their trip.
– A monitor in the backseat of each vehicle shows the vehicle’s perception systems in real time and riders get an expanded look at what the self-driving vehicle “sees” as it navigates autonomously in the city.
XPENG EXPORTS FLAGSHIP P7 MODEL TO NORWAY
– Xpeng on Tuesday said it exported the first batch of its flagship P7 cars to Norway, giving a boost to the company’s plans to go global.
– Xpeng said the P7 saloon cars will be delivered to customers in the Nordic country, and it comes eight months after it exported its G3 SUVs to the European nation.
– The export batch of P7s is fitted with features tailored for local conditions, including a combined charging system port to meet European standards and an English interface and voice assistant.
– The company launched its third production model, P5, in April, which is among the world’s first batch of intelligent vehicles to be fitted with lidar sensors.
TEXAS CITY APPROVES $440 MILLION INCENTIVE PACKAGE TO LAND RIVIAN’S SECOND PLANT
– City leaders in Fort Worth, Texas have finalized their incentive package for Rivian Automotive to build a 5 billion electric vehicle plant in their community, which would be in addition to Rivian’s factory in Normal.
– The Fort Worth City Council on Tuesday voted unanimously to approve up to $440 million in tax breaks contingent on Rivian meeting various goals, including hiring at least 7,500 full-time workers by the end of 2027. The average annual salary for those jobs must be at least $56,000, according to the city’s development agreement.
CADILLAC’S ALL-ELECTRIC LYRIQ CROSSOVER IS NOT WIRED FOR COMPROMISE
– The crossover is wide and low, with giant, 22-inch wheels pushed out to the corners and a short dash-to-axle configuration, courtesy of the electric motor in the rear that allows for more cabin space. Vertical lighting on the front daytime running lights and rear lamps recall the design language on previous Cadillac models, but in a more subtle, refined way.
– Front and center is an expansive 33-inch LED touchscreen that stretches from the front of the driver to the center stack, a single-piece display that offers visibility for all functions without feeling overwhelming. A floating center console is fit with a jewellike rotary knob, and wood trim juts out above a spacious lower storage area. As for comfort, the contoured seats are slim without sacrificing cushion.
– The Lyriq will also be equipped with the latest edition of GM’s Super Cruise
– With a starting price of about $60,000, the Lyriq undercuts most competitors, making it a compelling choice for commuters or small families looking for a practical but elegant, everyday EV.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL