If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 23rd August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
GM IDLES BOLT EV PLANT FOR LACK OF CHIPS
– Operations at the General Motors assembly plant in Orion Township, Michigan ground to a halt today and will remained idled until at least Aug. 30.
– The factory produces GM’s two battery-electric vehicles, the Bolt EV and EUV. It’s the first time the facility has been shutdown since the semiconductor shortage began.
– Virtually every automaker has been impacted by the chip crisis … and few models have escaped without production cuts. But analysts note battery-electric vehicles could be particularly vulnerable going forward.
– Silicon chip suppliers were only too happy to provide consumer electronics manufacturers with what they needed because the auto industry slashed semiconductor orders when the pandemic struck. When the massive plunge in car sales didn’t last as long as predicted automakers tried to increase their orders, but they had to go to the back of the line and wait.
RIVIAN IS READY FOR R1T ELECTRIC PICKUP PRODUCTION, WAITING FOR GOVERNMENT APPROVAL
– Rivian says that its R1T electric pickup is basically ready for production and it is now waiting for government approval to start deliveries.
– CEO RJ Scaringe says that the latest R1T production units satisfy Rivian’s standards of quality and now they are waiting for regulatory approval to start deliveries
– “Over the last several months we have been focused on not only ramping our production rate, but also dialing in our quality across each of the five areas of our plant: stamping, body, paint, assembly and propulsion (battery and drive units). This challenging process involves multiple build phases – many of the vehicles from these non-customer build phases have been seen out testing across a range of environments during the last year. These validation, tooling tryout and pilot build vehicles are critical for our ongoing mileage accumulation program that has helped us drive refinements to the product. With all of this, I am excited to report we have started producing vehicles that reflect all of our quality iterations and design refinements. We are currently working with various governing agencies on the final approvals needed for us to make the first deliveries to preorder customers in September”.
GM WANTS LG TO PAY $1 BILLION BATTERY FIX AFTER $800M RECALL
– Bloomberg has a new report on how the optimistic relationship between GM and LG (which supplies GM with its batteries for the Bolt and also did the Volt batteries for it) has soured amid a rash of Bolt fires. GM is trying to get LG to pay for a fix, as Bloomberg explains:
– Four years later, the long-distance relationship between GM and its battery partner, LG Energy Solution, is being tested like never before. At issue: who will pick up a roughly $1 billion tab.GM last week recalled Bolt EVs for the third time in nine months because of risk their batteries could catch fire. The Detroit-based company will replace modules in more than 73,000 additional vehicles and said it’s trying to get LG to pay for the fix. LG, headquartered some 6,600 miles away in Seoul, said the expense will be divvied up depending on the results from a joint investigation into the root cause of the problem.
S.KOREA’S LG CHEM SHARES DIVE ON GM ELECTRIC CAR RECALL
– LG Chem Ltd (051910.KS) shares closed down 11.1% on Monday after General Motors Co (GM.N) said it would recall an extra 73,000 Chevrolet Bolt cars that use the South Korean firm’s batteries, months after a similar recall by Hyundai Motor Co
– LG Chem, which is preparing an initial public offering (IPO) for battery unit LG Energy Solution (LGES), lost more than $6 billion in market value, marking its biggest intraday percentage loss since March 2020.
KIA REVEALS NEW £32,445 SOUL EV MAXX
– Kia has announced changes to the Soul EV electric SUV range that see the existing First Edition model replaced with the new Maxx version. Priced from £32,445 once the government’s Plug-In Car Grant (PICG) has been applied, the new model will be the sole option for Soul EV customers.
– 17-inch aluminium alloy wheels, black leather upholstery and heated front seats. The car also comes with LED headlights, a heated steering wheel and a 10.25-inch touchscreen infotainment system with the Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration systems.
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/527928/kia-soul-ev-maxx-pricing
FORD DOUBLES LIGHTNING PRODUCTION TARGET ON STRONG PRE-LAUNCH DEMAND -SOURCES
– Ford Motor Co(F.N) has doubled its production target for the F-150 Lightning because of strong early demand for the full-sized electric pickup truck ahead of its 2022 launch, and the company plans to spend an additional $850 million to meet that target, several people and suppliers familiar with the plans said.
– The No. 2 U.S. automaker is targeting annual production of more than 80,000 in 2024, up from its prior target of more than 40,000
– Industry observers have questioned whether individual buyers will give up their gas-powered pickups for electric models, but commercial customers are pushing for electric trucks and vans to reduce their carbon footprints.
– Following the launch of the second generation Lightning in late 2025, the annual target is just shy of 160,000.
FORD MUSTANG MACH-E PRODUCTION CAPACITY COULD BE 175,000 VEHICLES A YEAR
– LG Energy Solution is now producing ~5000 Ford Mustang Mach-E battery modules a day. That’s enough for 500 battery packs a day (there are 10 modules in a pack).
– 500 battery packs a day across 350 days a year (leaving 15 days of break due to various factors that can stop production for a while) would mean enough battery packs for 175,000 Mustang Mach-Es a year!
– It’s possible that battery production could be planned in spurts over the long term. Battery production could be getting ahead of vehicle production for a while due to potential disruptions later in the year or in 2022.
CUSTOMER TRIALS OF FORD E-TRANSIT BEGIN
– Ford has commenced customer trials of its all-electric Transit ahead of the van’s official sales launch in spring 2022.
A total of ten E-Transit prototypes are currently being used across a variety of intensive real-world operating scenarios in the postal, municipal and utilities, last mile and grocery delivery sectors in the UK, Germany and Norway.
– The trials fleet features a range of E-Transit variants including van, double-cab-in-van and chassis cab derivatives with gross vehicle masses from 3.5 to 4.25 tonnes, as well as a variety of specialised vehicle conversions.
Original Source : https://theenergyst.com/customer-trials-of-ford-e-transit-begin/
NEW DUAL-MOTOR SKODA ENYAQ IV 80X SPORTLINE REVEALED WITH 261BHP
– The Skoda Enyaq iV SUV is the firm’s first bespoke electric car, and a new, range-topping version has been unveiled as the most powerful model to date. Called the 80x SportLine, it brings more performance and four-wheel drive to the Enyaq line-up, with prices starting from £46,610.
– Until now, the Enyaq iV has been exclusively available with a single motor set-up, but the 80x Sportline gains a motor on the front axle as well. The new dual-motor arrangement produces a combined 261bhp
– The 80x SportLine is fitted with the same 77kWh (usable) battery found elsewhere in the Enyaq iV range, and Skoda claims a WLTP range figure of 303 miles. All 80x SportLine models receive 125kW DC rapid charging
VINFAST PARTNERS WITH GOTION HIGH-TECH ON LFP BATTERY CELL R&D
– Vietnam-based electric vehicle manufacturer VinFast and China-based Gotion High-Tech will jointly carry out R&D and production of lithium iron phosphate (LFP) batteries. LFP batteries, which offer high safety and long life, can be produced without using expensive and rare materials such as cobalt and manganese.
– VinFast currently produces several models of electric scooters and buses in Vietnam
– Gotion High-Tech is a leading developer and manufacturer of LFP batteries for electric vehicles, energy storage systems, and other applications in China and across the world.
Original Source : https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/08/20210824-vinfast/comments/
FISKER TO RAISE $625 MILLION TO FUND SECOND EV MODEL
– Fisker Inc. is lining up capital to start production on a second electric vehicle in late 2023 after unveiling a debt offering of $625 million.The startup automaker is expected to launch its Ocean SUV in late 2022. The model will be manufactured by Magna International Inc. at Magna’s plant in Graz, Austria. In June, Fisker inked a revised deal to extend its production of the Ocean through 2029.
– Fisker could sell an additional $100 million in notes to institutional buyers during a window that extends through the end of August.
– In February, Fisker and Foxconn Technology Group signed a memorandum of understanding to jointly develop what Fisker has labeled a “breakthrough electric vehicle,” codenamed Project PEAR, or Personal Electric Automotive Revolution.
THE ACURA NSX WILL RETURN FOR A THIRD GENERATION
– he recently unveiled Acura NSX Type S may serve as the last hurrah for this generation but it doesn’t sound like it’ll be the final chapter for the nameplate as a whole. One company exec recently confirmed to The Drive at Monterey Car Week that the Acura supercar will eventually return for a third generation.
– Vice President and Brand Officer Jon Ikeda said, “If you notice, we make an NSX when there’s something we want to say. The first-gen was gas. Second-gen was a hybrid. There’s gonna be another one.”
– While the original NSX made a splash in the ’90s with a mid-mounted, naturally-aspirated V6, its successor that went into production in 2016 not only gained two turbochargers but also three hybrid-electric motors
E-MOBILITY: SIXT IS INVESTING 50 MILLION EUROS IN CHARGING STATIONS – MARKET RESEARCH TELECAST
– The car rental company Sixt wants to set up its own charging station network for electric cars. “We decided four weeks ago that we would invest over 50 million euros in expanding the charging infrastructure,” said co-boss Alexander Sixt of the daily newspaper The world on Monday. Some of the charging stations should be publicly accessible.
– “So far, most customers have filled up shortly before handing over the vehicle, which is no longer conceivable in the age of electromobility”, Sixt told the newspaper. “You can’t wait at the charging station for an hour and a half at the airport and only then hand in the car.”
MER TO INSTALL ULTRA-RAPID CHARGING STATIONS AT MCDONALD’S AUSTRIA
– McDonald’s Austria has commissioned Statkraft’s e-mobility outlet Mer to build fast-charging stations. By the end of 2023, the partners want to equip all McDonald’s Austria branches that have a parking lot with ultra-rapid chargers delivering 150 or up to 300 kW.
– McDonald’s Austria left open whether this will be the standard configuration or whether Mer will install two CCS cables
– It is not the first time McDonald’s is looking into installing charging infrastructure for electric cars. The chain is working with InstaVolt in the UK at a similar model to the plans in Austria. McDonald’s branches in Italy have also seen the installation of charge points, this time with Enel X
TESLA MODEL Y PRODUCTION IN GIGA SHANGHAI HITS 1K PER DAY, OUTPACING MODEL 3
– Tesla Giga Shanghai is reportedly producing 1,000 Model Y units per day, officially exceeding its Model 3 output of 800 units per day. Tesla was reportedly able to accomplish this feat following a four-day shutdown of its Model Y lines in Giga Shanghai last week, which paved the way for updates to the facility.
– “After four days of overhaul at Tesla’s Shanghai plant last week, the production capacity of Phase 2 Model Y has reached 1,000 units per day. This daily capacity has exceeded the number of Model 3s (at) 800 units per day. It can be said that the Y-type production has entered high-yield stage. As previously planned by Tesla, the main production of Q3 is for export,” noted drone operator Wu Wa in his latest video of Gigafactory Shanghai.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-giga-shanghai-production-update
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL