If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 20th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
1,300 TESLA MODEL YS HAVE ARRIVED IN NORWAY
– A huge shipment of Model Y has arrived in Norway. 1,300 Giga Shanghai-made electric SUVs will soon be delivered to their owners.
– . To deliver Model Y and Model 3, the company dispatched three cargo ships from China.So far, two of the three have already reached the shores of Europe and docked at ports in several countries to deliver the long-awaited vehicles to consumers. Vessel Helios Ray with the first Model Ys for the European market arrived at the port of Zeebrugge, Belgium on August 15, later it headed to Emden, Germany, and now it is in Bremerhaven, Germany. According to Tesla ship tracker @mortenlund89/Twitter, a number of Model Ys were unloaded in Zeebrugge to be transported to Norway in another vessel.
– Glovis Supreme arrived at the port of Zeebrugge, into which the Model Y from Helios Rayl is supposed to have been loaded. After this, according to @mortenlund89, there were 1,300 Model Ys aboard the Glovis Supreme, which was delivered to Norway on August 20. The first shipment has arrived at the port of Oslo and over a thousand happy customers will soon take delivery of the long-awaited Model Y.
Original Source : https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/1-300-tesla-model-ys-has-arrived-in-norway
GM EXPANDS BATTERY-FIRE RECALL TO CHEVY BOLT EUV, EVERY BOLT EV MADE
– General Motors has expanded the recall of Chevrolet Bolt EV models due to battery-related fire concerns—to include 2019-2021 Bolt EV models and new 2022 Bolt EV and EUV models.
GM just earlier this week confirmed that it planned to replace all battery modules on affected 2017-2019 Bolt EV models, subject to be adjusted after an additional investigation. It’s now expecting to do the same with the rest of the Bolt EV population, including models recently delivered and those in dealer inventories.
– The Bolt EV and EUV models use cells made by LG Chem in South Korea through mid 2019, and then Holland, Michigan from mid-2019 on. GM had previously said that the so-called “design level N2.1” made in Michigan were unaffected
– GM now recommends that until customers receive new battery modules, they should set their vehicle to a maximum 90 percent state of charge, charge their vehicle more frequently and not allow it below 70 miles of range, and park the vehicle outside immediately after charging.
– GM could potentially be replacing all the battery modules—or full packs, as it may turn out—in more than 140,000 Bolt EVs in North America, of which more than 110,000 are in the U.S.
– The expanded recall would cost the company $1 billion more than what had been spent on previous Bolt recall efforts, and it stated today that it will seek reimbursement from LG Chem, the cell supplier.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133316_gm-expands-battery-fire-recall-to-chevy-bolt-euv-every-bolt-ev-made
AN ELECTRIC BOAT ISN’T JUST A FLOATING TESLA
– the prospect of electrifying on-board generators that power everything from the sound system to the refrigerators on larger boats and recreational vehicles. These generators are used for longer periods than the propulsion systems but operate at lower power, which makes it easier to replace them with battery-operated versions,
– The company is aiming to replace 15,000 combustion engine generators on boats and RVs with electric-powered versions by 2023.
– Consumers typically don’t spend as much on fuel for their boats as they do for their cars, which complicates the cost-benefit analysis of going electric
– The primary market for electric boats today is smaller lakes and waterways where the distance requirements are limited and speeds are lower. Most of the interest comes from Europe where certain municipalities that are highly dependent on boat traffic
– The market is even more niche in the U.S.; one of the more popular applications is electric dinghies that ferry the well-heeled from the dock to their parked yachts
– about 90% of electric models being sold today operate below 10 horsepower.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2021-08-20/industrial-strength-an-electric-boat-isn-t-just-a-floating-tesla-ksknn3ek
TOP FOUR HIGHLIGHTS OF ELON MUSK’S TESLA AI DAY | TECHCRUNCH
– Tesla AI Day, which started after a rousing 45 minutes of industrial music pulled straight from “The Matrix” soundtrack, featured a series of Tesla engineers explaining various Tesla tech with the clear goal of recruiting the best and brightest to join Tesla’s vision and AI team and help the company go to autonomy and beyond.
– Like both “Battery Day” and “Autonomy Day,” the event on Thursday was streamed live on Tesla’s YouTube channel. There was a lot of super technical jargon, but here are the top four highlights of the day.
– Tesla Bot: A definitely real humanoid robot
– Unveiling of the chip to train Dojo
– To Full Self-Driving and beyond
– Solving computer vision problems
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2021/08/19/top-five-highlights-of-elon-musks-tesla-ai-day
CHIP SHORTAGES MAY BE GETTING WORSE FOR AUTOMAKERS
– Toyota announced that 27 assembly lines in Japan will be impacted by the spread of COVID, lockdowns and chip shortages. BMW, Volkswagen and Daimler also signaled a change in delivery expectations due to the shortage. Earlier in the year, BMW said it had ordered enough semiconductors and expected its suppliers to deliver, but in a recent statement, the Bavarians said that supply would remain tight in the second half of the year. The lost output was around 30,000 units so far this year.
– Toyota will cut production worldwide 40 percent in September. That translates into 80,000 fewer models produced next month than originally planned. The production cuts will affect Europe, China, United States and other markets. In the U.S., just this month alone, Toyota will deliver 60,000 to 90,000 vehicles fewer than originally planned.
– The latest production issues follow news that German chipmaker Infineon was forced to suspend production at one of its plants in Malaysia in June, due to a coronavirus outbreak. A large portion of the worldwide chip production is located in Malaysia
– Most analysts point to a return to normality sometimes in 2022
Original Source : https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/08/19/chip-shortages-may-be-getting-worse-for-automakers
BATTERY POWER CAPACITY IN THE US GREW BIG TIME IN 2020
– Power capacity — a measure of how much power a battery can instantly discharge — for large-scale batteries grew at an unprecedented pace in the US last year, according to an annual report released this week by the US Energy Information Administration (EIA).
– 2020 smashed the previous record set in 2018 for the biggest growth in power capacity in the US with 489MW of large-scale battery storage added. That’s more than twice what was added in 2018.
– Big batteries can also step in when a disaster knocks another power source offline. So on top of cutting down greenhouse gas emissions, they can make the grid more reliable and resilient.
– Electricity is currently responsible for a quarter of greenhouse gas emissions in the US. But a clean grid could tackle emissions from other sectors like transportation and heating as cars, homes, and buildings go all-electric.
– Battery storage costs have tumbled 72 percent since 2015, the EIA found, which helps explain why the vast majority of large-scale battery storage power capacity available today only came online within the past six years.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/19/22632172/large-battery-power-capacity-us-grew-2020
TESLA HARDWARE 4 COMPUTER TO BE INTRODUCED WITH THE CYBERTRUCK NEXT YEAR
– The Tesla Cybertruck will not only debut a revolutionary manufacturing process, it will also be the first vehicle in the company’s lineup to be equipped with Tesla’s Hardware 4 computer.
Hardware 4 is the successor to the custom HW 3.0 computer that’s currently being deployed to the company’s vehicles today. Comments about the Hardware 4 computer were made by Tesla CEO Elon Musk during AI Day, which featured an in-depth discussion on the company’s AI-driven initiatives.
– Musk remarked that a HW 4.0 or FSD Computer 2 would be introduced in the future. This unit would be a step up from the already impressive HW 3.0 both in performance and safety.
– HW 4.0 will be introduced in the Tesla Cybertruck “in a year or so.” Musk later noted that with Hardware 3.0, Tesla’s self-driving systems could perform about 300% safer than a human, but for HW 4.0, this number could increase to 1000%.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-hardware-4-cybertruck-release-date
NIO ET7 WINTER TEST COMPLETED IN NEW ZEALAND
– Since the NIO ET7 was introduced at NIO Day, the Chinese automaker conducted tests in various locations toward mass production. Among these tests was a fundamental and indispensable part, the winter test. This included a systemic and complete collection of dynamic tests on all types of low-adhesion roads to ensure a safe and comfortable driving experience for users in different scenarios.The summer season in China did not provide the environment and low temperatures the test required. However, New Zealand in the Southern Hemisphere allowed NIO to complete the test promptly.
– In July 2021, NIO spent a month testing the NIO ET7 in winter conditions. The renowned Southern Hemisphere Proving Grounds (SHPG) of New Zealand, with about 4.9 million m2, boasts 37 snow flats, ice flats, and handling tracks. Situated in the piedmont area adjacent to the Cardrona Valley near Queenstown, a complex mountainous landscape simulated various test environments close to everyday vehicle-use scenarios.
– The entry level 70kWh unit offers a 310-mile (500 km) range, with a 100kWh version offering 435 miles (700 km). The top model with a ginormous 150kWh battery pack has a claimed range of more than 621 miles (1,000 km). All the figures are calculated using the Chinese NEDC system.
Original Source : https://electriccarsreport.com/2021/08/nio-et7-winter-test-completed-in-new-zealand
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL