If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 18th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TATA MOTORS UNVEILS TIGOR EV; TO ACCEPT BOOKINGS FROM TODAY
– Tata Motors has unveiled its second offering in electric vehicles segment — Tata Tigor EV, following its Nexon EV. Tata Motors will accept bookings for its upcoming EV from today at a price of Rs 21,000 across select dealerships
– The Tata Tigor EV is powered by a 26 kWh high energy density Lithium-ion battery pack which can be charged from 0 per cent to 80 per cent within an hour using fast charging.
– It can go from 0 kmph to 60 kmph in 5.7 seconds and churns out a peak power of 55 kW
– Tata Tigor EV comprises height adjustable driver seat, portable charging cable
– “The last few years belonged to the early adopters of EV in India but now it is the time of early majority to move to EV. With an immensely successful experience with the Nexon EV, we can confidently state that EVs are rapidly becoming mainstream. The EV market has reached an inflection point and we need to cater to diverse customer needs and democratize the EV market further with another accessible and contemporary EV product. We are ecstatic to unveil our second electric car in the personal segment. With the all-new Tigor EV we want to lead this evolution to mainstream EVs in India with a message to all automotive enthusiasts to Evolve to Electric,” Vivek Srivatsa, Head-Marketing, Passenger and Electric Vehicles Business Unit, Tata Motors said.
CHINESE TESLA RIVAL XPENG EXPANDS PRODUCTION CAPACITY AT KEY PLANT
– Chinese electric carmaker Xpeng is doubling the production capacity at one of its key plants as competition heats up. Xpeng said it will increase the planned production capacity of its Zhaoqing manufacturing site from 100,000 cars a year to 200,000. The Zhaoqing plant opened last year, and is located in the southern Chinese province of Guangdong.
– Xpeng has looked to boost production capacity by building its own factories. Earlier this year, Xpeng announced a cooperation with the city of Wuhan to build a new manufacturing base there.
– Xpeng is looking to expand production for its range of models — the G3 SUV, the P7 sedan and its recently-launched P5.
HYUNDAI IONIQ 6 ELECTRIC SEDAN CAPTURED IN BEST SPY SHOTS TO DATE
– the Ioniq 6 coming next year will be the first sedan to ride on these underpinnings.
A near-production prototype was spotted the other day in the United States with less camouflage than ever before. The car looks just about ready to lose the disguise and show how the final version has changed compared to the Prophecy concept introduced about a year and a half ago.
– The Ioniq 6 is scheduled to go on sale next year and will be followed in 2024 by the Ioniq 7 serving as a larger electric SUV. Meanwhile, Kia and Genesis are also working on a generous array of E-GMP-based vehicles as everything from performance cars to minivans will be underpinned by the EV-only architecture.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/527313/2023-hyundai-ioniq-6-spy-photos
CADILLAC LYRIQ: FIRST LOOK AT LUXURY ELECTRIC SUV
– From the inside out, designers took advantage of GM’s new flexible Ultium battery to craft the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq, Cadillac’s first all-electric SUV.
– The new battery with lithium-ion cells that stack vertically and horizontally meant the luxury car could be as big, as wide, and as low as designers craved. It set the stage for the Lyriq’s knockout 22-inch wheels, massive 33-inch driver display, and other interior details like ample legroom in the back and even the design of the HVAC vents.
– The Lyriq, which has an estimated 300 miles of range and starts at $59,990, is the first of many electric cars GM plans to release with its Ultium battery.
– The 100 kwh battery in the Lyriq can add 76 miles of range in about 10 minutes with DC Fast Charging
– When you approach the car with the key, you’ll get a light show on the grille. The car handles are flush against the body and don’t pop out. Instead you press them and the door shoots open a few inches
– The Lyriq is on track to go into production in the first quarter of 2022 at GM’s new Spring Hill, Tennessee factory still under construction. Cadillac plans to have Lyriq on sales lots within the first half of next year. Reservations for the 2023 Cadillac Lyriq open on Sept. 18, 2021.
Original Source : https://mashable.com/article/2023-cadillac-lyriq-photos
VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 GETS 3 YEARS FREE CHARGING ON ELECTRIFY CANADA
– Volkswagen Canada announced that it will provide three years of unlimited, complimentary ultra-fast charging from the date of purchase for new owners of the all-electric 2021 VW ID.4, on the Electrify Canada network.The news comes just weeks after Electrify Canada announced plans to expand its network of ultra-fast chargers from 27 stations with 108 chargers to more than 100 charging stations comprising over 500 individual chargers across Canada by the end of 2025. The expansion also builds the network coverage from four to nine provinces, facilitating travel from Halifax, Nova Scotia in the east to Victoria, British Columbia in the west.
BASE VOLKSWAGEN ID.3 PURE PULLED DUE TO GLOBAL CHIP SHORTAGE
– The cheapest version of the ID.3 with the smallest battery pack is no longer available in the configurator. After introducing the more affordable ID.3 Pure version in January of this year, Volkswagen has now made it unavailable. There is a reason behind it, according to the automaker, and that reason is the world wide semiconductor chip shortage that ha has affected most manufacturers.
– The ID.3 Pure, which in Germany starts at just under €32,000 (before local incentives), has a 45 kWh battery pack, and the weakest motor available, putting out just 93 kW or 125 horsepower. It has a claimed WLTP range of 205 miles or 330 km and it can be charged at a maximum 50 kW.
– those interested can only order the ID.3 with either the 58 kWh or 77 kWh battery pack and thus, the cheapest you can no get one of these vehicles new is €35,460
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/527439/volkswagen-id3pure-no-onl-sale
INSTAVOLT ROLLS OUT 120 KW BYD CHARGERS
– InstaVolt has a number of high-profile corporate partners. UK drivers can use the company’s charging stations at KFC, Starbucks, McDonalds and other chains.
– InstaVolt has begun installing its fastest charging points yet. The new BYD chargers deliver power levels up to 120 kW—a substantial boost compared to the company’s existing 50 kW chargers. Each unit has one CCS and one CHAdeMO connector, allowing two cars to be charged at once.
– The new rapid chargers will be deployed across all future installations, including InstaVolt’s McDonalds and Costa Coffee sites across the UK. Ten of the new chargers are already live on InstaVolt’s network.
– Instavolt says this is the first time that a BYD charger has been imported into Europe.
InstaVolt intends to bring even faster chargers—over 150 kW—to the market within the next year
OLA S1 IS A 70-PLUS MPH ELECTRIC SCOOTER THAT’S PRICED LIKE A BICYCLE
– hat if you want a scooter that’s also an EV? Piaggio has you covered there too, with the Vespa Elettrica, but the issue is that, at around $7,500, it’s kind of expensive — but maybe there’s another option.
– That option comes from a company called Ola and its S1 electric scooter, which the company debuted on Monday
– Ola claims the S1 scooter will do 55 mph, or 71 mph if you go for the more powerful S1 Pro version. That’s a ton of performance, especially when you consider the 75-mile range of the base version or 112-mile range of the Pro version.
– The S1 also has some cool tech on board, like a 7-inch digital dash and its own in-house operating system, MoveOS, which provides all the basic dash functions you’d expect, plus navigation and music controls.
– The base S1 will retail for just the equivalent of $1,350, and the Pro comes in at $1,748.
HERO MOTOCORP AND ATHER ENERGY TO RIVAL OLA’S ELECTRIC SCOOTER
– By the start of next year, Hero MotoCorp—the world’s largest two-wheeler manufacturer for the last 20 years—is set to debut its electric two-wheeler model. The incumbent will not only rely on fixed charging but also use battery swapping tech, courtesy of its partnership with renowned Taiwanese EV manufacturer Gogoro.
– Founded in 1984, Hero MotoCorp (formerly Hero Honda) now has six plants across India with a total annual production capacity of 11.6 million units.
– It also has over 6,000 dealerships, giving it a large existing customer base to start off with.In comparison, Ola has been loss-making since its inception in December 2010
SUPER SOCO CPX 55 MPH ELECTRIC SCOOTER ENTERING NORTH AMERICAN MARKET
– Australia-based Vmoto’s Super Soco brand has become a popular two-wheeled electric vehicle option on several continents, and now the company’s largest and most powerful electric scooter is coming to North America.
– While Super Soco has slightly faster electric motorcycle models in its lineup, the company’s CPx maxiscooter tops the list of Vmoto’s high-powered utility scooters.
The scooter boasts a top speed of 90 km/h (55.9 mph), making it capable of traveling on both urban and suburban roads. Particularly brave riders might even saunter onto small highways for short jaunts.
– Canadians will be the first North Americans to get a taste of the new scooter when it is imported and sold in the country by Motorino Electric Cycles.
– The scooter with a single 2.7 kWh battery fetches a price tag of CAD $6,900 (US $5,470) while the dual battery model is priced at CAD $8,700 (US $6,890). Prices will include a two-year warranty on the vehicle and three-year warranty on the battery and motor.
With 5.4 kWh of battery capacity, the dual battery model is rated for 150 km (93 miles) of range per charge.
– It also has a fairly large seat designed to comfortably fit two riders.
– The scooter can be programmed to fit Limited Speed Motorcycle laws that reduce the speed to 70 km/h (43.5 mph) and require only a standard driver’s license to operate – no motorcycle license required.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL