If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 17th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
AUDI BRINGS E-TRON S THREE-MOTOR ELECTRIC SUV TO THE US STARTING AT $84,800
– Audi is bringing the e-tron S and e-tron S Sportback, its three-motor electric SUV, to the US, starting at $84,800.
– The German automaker launched the vehicle last year as “the first electric cars worldwide with three motors in mass production“:
– The three electric motors, two of which are located on the rear axle, together provide 370 kW of boost power and 973 Nm (717.6 lb-ft) of torque. This allows the two purely electrically driven models to accelerate to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 4.5 seconds
– Nearly two inches wider than the e-tron and e-tron Sportback models, the e-tron S is the only Audi “S” model with wider bodywork than the standard model.
– The EPA-estimated range with the standard wheel/tire package is expected to be 208 miles for e-tron S and 212 miles for the e-tron Sportback S. It’s going to start just under $85,000.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/08/17/audi-e-tron-s-three-motor-electric-suv-us-starting-84800
FORT WORTH OFFERS OVER $400 MILLION TAX BREAK TO ATTRACT ELECTRIC VEHICLE MANUFACTURER
– The City of Fort Worth is currently in negotiations to bring Rivian, an American electric vehicle manufacturer, to the city.
– The competitive process to woo Rivian to Fort Worth involves a 2,000-acre site location upon which up to 12 million square feet of buildings will be located. The currently proposed site would be 12 miles from downtown Fort Worth and south of Interstate 20. According to the city, the project would generate 1,875 jobs by the end of 2025 and over 7,500 jobs by the end of 2027 with minimum average annual salaries of $56,000.
– Fort Worth is offering tax abatements and grants that will be capped at $440,000,000. One incentive is a 15-year economic development program agreement grant which would reduce the company’s tax burden by 85 percent of the taxes on real and business personal property.
– the city plans to nominate the project for funding through the Texas Enterprise Zone program, a “state sales and use tax refund program designed to encourage private investment and job creation in economically distressed areas of the state,” according to the Office of the Governor’s website.
Original Source : https://thetexan.news/fort-worth-offers-over-400-million-tax-break-to-attract-electric-vehicle-manufacturer
RIVIAN BATTERY SUPPLIER SAMSUNG SDI IS CONSIDERING ILLINOIS FOR US PLANT
– Rivian battery supplier Samsung SDI is considering a new battery plant near the EV hopeful’s Illinois factory, local NPR affiliate WGLT reported last week.
The report cites United States Senator Dick Durbin, who said Normal, home to Rivian’s ex-Mitsubishi assembly plant, is a “finalist” for a planned Samsung battery factory. Durbin met virtually with Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe recently.
– The project has been discussed for at least six months under the codename “Project Maximus,” according to the report. Normal Mayor Chris Koos told WGLT that a local incentives package was in play, and the media outlet reported that the Illinois Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO) was involved, indicating that state-level incentives might be presented as well.
– Samsung SDI is the sole battery supplier of Rivian’s vehicles at launch, although Rivian hasn’t said that it’s using them exclusively.
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133253_rivian-battery-supplier-samsung-sdi-is-considering-illinois-for-us-plant
ROBOTIC SYSTEM DISMANTLES EV BATTERIES FOR RECYCLING 10X FASTER
– As electric vehicles continue to gain in popularity, one thing we’ll have to deal with down the road is mounting piles of batteries that have reached the end of their lives. Casting their eye toward this future, scientists at Oak Ridge National Laboratory have developed a new robotic system that automatically disassembles spent electric vehicle batteries with great efficiency and safety, making them easier to recycle.
– . Doing so by hand currently involves first discharging the battery, and then taking it apart piece by piece, which exposes workers to toxic chemicals and power levels potentially as high as 900 volts. Looking to build a robotic system that can do the heavy lifting, the team actually turned to one previously developed to extract rare-earth magnets from old hard drives. This was adapted for use on spent electric vehicle batteries, with the new disassembly system able to be configured to tackle any type of battery stack, safely undoing bolts and the housing even if the device has charge remaining.
– the automated system can disassemble the batteries down to the cell level and pull out different materials for recovery, such as the cobalt, lithium or metal foils. Alternatively, it can extract individual battery modules to be refurbished and reused in energy storage systems. According to the team, the system can disassemble 100 or more battery stacks in the time it would take a human worker to disassemble 12.
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/automotive/robot-ev-batteries-recycling-speed
IONIQ 5 BEATS TESLA MODEL 3 IN SAFETY TEST
– Hyundai Motor’s Ioniq 5 is safer than Tesla’s Model 3, according to a government test. The Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport said Tuesday that a safety test conducted by the Korea Transportation Safety Authority compared the two models. The Ioniq 5 EV received a score of 92.1 points out of 100 compared to the Model 3’s 83.3 points.
– The car’s high-voltage electrical system did not catch fire during the collision test and, after a crash, the doors still opened. In testing for possible collisions with pedestrians using dummies and simulations, the materials and design of the bumper was found to absorb shocks, preventing major injuries. Testing for possible head injuries found that the materials used in the vehicle and the design of its hood reduced the possibility of critical injury. Its autonomous emergency braking system received high scores while other accident prevention features such as a lane assist system also received a perfect score.
– As of July, 8,628 Ioniq 5s have been sold and 6,297 Model 3s.
Original Source : https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2021/08/17/business/industry/Ioniq-5-Model-3-Safety/20210817171100401.html
GLENCORE INVESTS IN BRITISHVOLT’S ELECTRIC BATTERY GIGAFACTORY PLANS
– Mining giant Glencore is investing in the battery start-up Britishvolt and its construction of a gigafactory to support the UK’s car industry transition to electrical vehicles. As part of the partnership, Glencore will also supply cobalt, one of the key raw materials used in electric batteries, the Financial Times reported. As the biggest producer of cobalt globally, the FTSE 100 company will provide Britishvolt with 30 per cent of the metal’s supply from 2024 to 2030.
– Britishvolt’s £2.6bn electric car battery plant is currently under construction in Northumberland in the northeast of England. Planning permission was granted in early July. The factory will initially employ 1,000 people, increasing threefold when operating at full capacity. The 235-acre operation will support the production of electric cars at scale domestically by providing infrastructure and battery supplies. It will help to meet the government’s carbon reduction targets and transition to electric cars with the ban on the sale of petrol and diesel vehicles from 2030.
– The gigafactory will be operational by 2023, says the start-up, and produce 300,000 batteries for EVs a year by 2027.
Original Source : https://www.cityam.com/glencore-endorses-britishvolts-electric-battery-gigafactory-plans
TESLA’S GIGA AUSTIN: IDRA SHIPMENT, NEW GIGA PRESS HAS ARRIVED
– A few days ago, Teslarati reported that Tesla had received a shipment that consisted of a massive box from IDRA Group. It would only make sense that the contents of the box could be related to a Giga Press, since we know that’s what IDRA makes, and we also know that Tesla has already purchased and installed some of these large casting machines.
– Tesla is now preparing the foundation for the machine’s installation.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/527181/tesla-texas-new-giga-press
FORD-OWNED SPIN ANNOUNCES GLOBAL INTEGRATION WITH GOOGLE MAPS
– Spin, the micromobility unit of Ford Motor Company, is working with Google Maps to provide e-scooters and e-bikes as a transportation option on the platform in Spin’s markets
Google Maps users are now able to see Spin vehicle availability as they plan their journeys in 84 cities, campuses, and towns in Europe and North America
The integration will bring wider public awareness to Spin’s vehicle availability and point people towards a more sustainable option for short journeys in urban areas
– Google Maps users are able to see, in real-time, the nearest available Spin e-bike or e-scooter, including how long it will take to walk to the vehicle, as well as the estimated battery range and expected arrival time. Users will then be directed to the Spin app to pay for the vehicle, unlock it and take their ride.
– Micromobility is continuing to gain traction to become a mainstream transportation solution for those living in urban areas or campuses. As e-scooters and e-bikes are being increasingly built into journey-planning platforms, residents and visitors can more easily take a multimodal approach to the way they get around cities.
Original Source : https://evobsession.com/ford-owned-spin-announces-global-integration-with-google-maps-helping-users-take-advantage-of-spin-e-bikes-and-e-scooters-as-they-plan-their-journeys
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
It’s back next week after a short break!
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL