If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 14th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
From Jim in Toledo, Ohio
You explained how aerodynamic the boulder teardrop camper is, but I think you failed to mention that it has a bank of batteries to help recharge an EV while on the road. 75kWh battery.
RIMAC NEVERA CLAIMS QUICKEST PRODUCTION CAR WITH NEW QUARTER-MILE TIME
– The Tesla Model S Plaid has a claimed 9.23-second quarter-mile time. But the real king appears to be the Rimac Nevera, which is getting quarter-mile times in the 8-second range.
– The company set its fastest time yet this week at Famoso Raceway. The company brought out Brooks Weiselblat of DragTimes to record and drive the car. As such the company has timing from the drag strip as well as VBox data from onboard the car. The fastest time recorded was 8.582 seconds at 167.51 mph.
– Now, as it was a drag strip, the times were set with a VHT-prepped surface, which is sticky and good for launches. But the car was on production tires — Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires to be specific. The company also noted that it has managed to do an 8.62-second quarter-mile on an un-prepped airstrip.
– Without any sanctioning body to record these runs, this is only an unofficial record.
Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2021/08/13/rimac-nevera-quarter-mile-time-quickest-production-car-unofficial-video/
Watch Rimac Nevera Go Beyond Plaid: Sets New 1/4 Mile World Record
– 0-60 mph (96.5 km/h) – 1.90 seconds
0-100 km/h (62 mph) – 2.00 seconds
0-100 mph (161 km/h) – 3.61 seconds
0-130 mph (209 km/h) – 5.36 seconds
0-150 mph (240 km/h) – 6.88 seconds
60-130 mph – 3.42 seconds
100-150 mph (240 km/h) – 3.27 seconds
100-200 km/h – 2.95 seconds
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/526584/rimac-nevera-dragstrip-world-record
TESLA RIDES THE EV REGISTRATION ROCKET AS AMERICANS BUY MORE THAN EVER
– Americans bought electric cars at a lightning pace in the first half of this year, according to new data from Experian. Registrations for EVs more than doubled, with 214,111 on the books through June, up from 98,351 in the first half of 2020.
– Tesla vehicles made up two-thirds of all new EV registrations, with the closest competitor being Chevrolet.
– newly launched Mustang Mach-E electric SUV helped it move into the top three, with 5.6% of new registrations. That’s an impressive pace, given it’s Ford’s first mainstream EV.
– EVs still only accounted for 2.5% of all new registrations. That’s up 1% from this time last year, but a far cry from the Biden administration’s goal to make half of all new cars sold EVs by the end of this decade.
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-ev-registration-americans-buy-more/
TESLA GIGA BERLIN WILL SAVE COMPANY FROM SHANGHAI EXPORT ‘NIGHTMARE’
– Tesla Giga Berlin will be the electric automaker’s savior in a “logistical nightmare” that requires the company to ship cars from China to Europe, Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said in a note this morning.
– The sooner Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) can get the Berlin factory up and running, the sooner it can free itself of the import of vehicles to Europe from Shanghai, a process that is “not sustainable,” according to Wedbush analyst Dan Ives, a Tesla bul
– Tesla will no longer have to import vehicles from China to Europe. A move that the company intended on never taking, Tesla sent China-made Model 3 units to Europe in January for the first time. The strategy has increased the company’s presence in the EV-savvy region of Europe but has also decreased deliveries in China
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-giga-berlin-shanghai-export-nightmare-wedbush-note
WHY TESLA’S ‘FULL SELF-DRIVING BETA 9’ IS UNSAFE AT ANY SPEED
– right now around 800 Tesla employees and close to 100 Tesla owners are running FSD 9-enabled cars in the USA (a relatively minor v9.1 update dropped at the end of July), across 37 states (the majority in California), feeding data back to Tesla
– Tesla employees running FSD 9 underwent an in-house quality and testing program, and owners were selected on the basis of their outstanding driving records, but they’re not development engineers, and they aren’t necessarily going to do the right thing all the time.
Original Source : https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/why-teslas-full-self-driving-beta-9-is-unsafe-at-any-speed-opinion-84288
WEST COAST ELECTRIC HIGHWAY GETTING NEW CHARGING HARDWARE
– The West Coast Electric Highway—a network of charging stations spanning three states—is now almost 10 years old, and at least some of it is getting an upgrade.
Charging-network operator EV Charging Solutions (EVCS) plans to upgrade Oregon’s 44 charging stations along the route with new hardware, and add three more, with funding from the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT), the company announced Wednesday in a press release.
– 11 will be designated “super stations,” each with one 150-kw fast charger and two 50-kw fast chargers, plus one 7.7-kw Level 2 AC port, EVCS clarified to Green Car Reports. The remainder of the 36 stations will get new hardware but remain at 50 kw
– Upgrades will include replacing CHAdeMO-only DC fast-charging stations with ones that can accommodate both CHAdeMO and the Combined Charging Standard (CCS). A CHAdeMO adapter for Tesla drivers will also be included at each site
Original Source : https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133200_west-coast-electric-highway-10-years-old-new-charging-hardware
DUTCH LEAD CHARGE FOR ELECTRIC CAR STATIONS
– They are best known for bike-riding, but the climate-vulnerable Dutch are leading the way for electric cars with the largest number of charging stations in Europe.Teslas and other vehicles can be seen plugged in on practically every street corner thanks to a network of some 75,000 stations — nearly a third of the entire EU total.
– Around one in every five of the 400,000 new cars sold annually in the Netherlands is now electric, due partly to tax breaks and other incentives during the last decade.But the Dutch government has also ensured that drivers have the infrastructure to support efforts to kick the addiction to fossil fuels.
– The Dutch government wants all new cars to be electric from 2030 in the Netherlands, where road traffic accounts for a fifth of greenhouse gas emissions.
– The Dutch began to encourage electric cars “very early”, in 2012, far sooner than Paris or Berlin
– In addition to the 75,000 public charging stations, around 190,000 Dutch people have their own charging post at home.
– Around 30 percent of Europe’s electric vehicle charging points are in the Netherlands, according to the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association.
– In towns, every electric car user has the right to a charging station within 200 metres of their home; while in the countryside motorists have their own posts, with 75 percent of those generating electricity for them by solar power.
Original Source : https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210813-dutch-lead-charge-for-electric-car-stations
IKEA RECEIVES 30 ELECTRIC VANS
– IKEA has set itself the goal of becoming climate-positive by 2030. The e-mobility specialist Quantron AG supports IKEA in this mission and supplies the IKEA logistics centre near Vienna with 30 environmentally friendly e-vehicles. This changeover will enable around 117,000 deliveries to be made emission-free in the first year alone, reducing CO2 emissions by more than 300 tons.
– With a range of at least 170 km, drive power of 100 kW and maximum charging power of 70 kW, the e-transporters are ideally equipped for routes between IKEA locations and customers’ delivery addresses. Initially, the vehicles will be used for deliveries to all 23 of Vienna’s municipal districts and within a 30 km radius of the logistics centre.
Original Source : https://www.logisticsmiddleeast.com/transport/ikea-receives-30-electric-vans-from-quantron
USED ELECTRIC VEHICLE REBATE PROGRAM EXPANDS IN CALIFORNIA
– Peninsula Clean Energy is expanding its program that offers rebates of up to $4,000 for the purchase of a used electric vehicle (EV).
San Mateo County, Calif., residents, regardless of income, can now receive a rebate starting at $700 for a plug-in hybrid and $1,000 for a fully electric vehicle. Income-qualified county residents can receive a rebate as high as $3,700 for a plug-in hybrid and $4,000 for an EV.
– Qualifying EVs are eight years old or newer with a pre-incentive purchase price of $25,000 or less. Eligible plug-in hybrids must have a minimum range of 25 miles.
– Income-qualified residents can also combine a Peninsula Clean Energy rebate with other regional and state EV incentive programs, amounting to as much as $11,500 in incentives.
Original Source : https://ngtnews.com/used-electric-vehicle-rebate-program-expands-in-california
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
On a scale of 1-10, where does ‘environment’ rank for the reason you’re interested in EVs?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL