If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 11th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA CHINA SHIPMENTS OF LOCALLY MADE CARS PLUNGE IN JULY
“Tesla Inc. shipments of China-made cars to the local market fell sharply last month following a run of negative publicity and the recall of almost every vehicle the company has sold in the country.”
– Tesla’s domestic sales were the lowest in the last 15 months, Dan Levy, a Credit Suisse analyst, wrote to clients. In addition Europe, Tesla’s China-made cars are being exported to Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Hong Kong. The company has said the Shanghai factory has become its primary export hub.
- Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-10/tesla-china-deliveries-of-locally-made-cars-plunge-69-in-july
Tesla sold 32,968 China-made vehicles in July
– Tesla Inc sold 32,968 China-made vehicles in July, including 24,347 for export, the China Passenger Car Association (CPCA) said on Tuesday.
– Local sales of China-made vehicles plunged 69% to 8,621 cars from 28,138 in June. Tesla’s sales in the first month of each quarter are usually lower than the following two months.
– China’s BYD sold 50,387 electric vehicles last month, while General Motors Co’s China joint venture with SAIC Motor delivered 27,347 units.
Original Source : https://finance.yahoo.com/news/1-tesla-sold-32-968-082047193.html
Tesla sales crash in China as buyers choose domestic models over Elon Musk’s models
– Sales of Tesla cars plunged sharply in China last month, following a string of scandals and concerns over privacy in the world’s most populous country.
– The decline came despite a 164% jump in overall wholesale deliveries of new energy vehicles in China – which includes electric, hybrid and hydrogen fuel cell cars – to 271,000 cars.
– The figures suggested that while Chinese consumers remain eager to buy alternative energy vehicles, they are increasingly opting for local rather than western brands.
Original Source : https://www.standard.co.uk/business/technology-media/tesla-sales-fall-in-china-for-elon-musk-b950175.html
TESLA FILES TO PRODUCE 5 MORE VERSIONS OF MODEL Y AT GIGAFACTORY SHANGHAI
– Five more versions of the Model Y electric SUV at Gigafactory Shanghai. Some of those variants are expected to be exported to other markets that will get the electric SUV for the first time.
– There appears to be 2 Model Y Standard Range versions – one with a domestically produced motor and one with an imported motor.
– The fact that Tesla is applying to produce two versions of the Model Y Standard Range in China could mean that one of them is going to be exported to other markets.
– Among the new Model Y versions that Tesla is applying to produce in China, there are also a new Model Y Long Range RWD, Model Y Long Range Dual Motor, and a new Model Y Performance.
The most surprising is the Model Y Long Range RWD since it’s not something Tesla is currently offering on the online configurator for the electric SUV in China.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/08/11/tesla-files-produce-5-model-y-versions-gigafactory-shanghai-exportations/
XPENG’S P5 ELECTRIC CAR CAN NOW READ TRAFFIC LIGHTS
– Xpeng Motors, which beat Tesla last week in a JD Power survey of electric cars, has been testing its autonomous driving system with a new capability to read traffic conditions, underscoring its push to outsmart the brand that is considered the benchmark in new-energy vehicles.
– Navigation Guided Pilot (NGP) highway solutions, now available on Xpeng’s P7 sedan, will be expanded to cover city-level scenarios for the new P5 sedan, where two of six versions equipped with LIDAR. The NGP includes features that give a real-time readout of traffic lights across China’s urban cities, according to a video circulated on China’s social media.
– the P5 made two automatic lane changes with voice-over assistance and merged into the left lane. The vehicle was then able to recognise the green light at an intersection, passing through it before the light turned red, in a demonstration of the vehicle’s 32 perception sensors in action.
– Xpeng priced P5’s price at between 160,000 yuan and 230,000 yuan (US$35,460) to attract budget-conscious customers last month, soon after Tesla unveiled a cheaper version of its Model Y sports-utility vehicle that was 20 per cent cheaper than its extended-range version.
Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3144695/chinas-ev-war-xpengs-p5-electric-car-can-now-read-traffic-lights
CHINA: WULING HONG GUANG MINI EV CRUISES AT 30,000 SALES A MONTH
– China’s best-selling electric vehicle for nearly a year, the Wuling Hong Guang MINI EV, continues to cruise at around 30,000 sales a month. In July, sales of this entry-level EV amounted to 30,706 according to Chinese media, which probably means that the company is constrained on the production line level.
– The key factor that allows the company to achieve such high sales levels is the price of about $4,700.
– 120 km (75 miles) of range using 9.3 kWh battery 170 km (106 miles) of range using 13.9 kWh battery
– top speed of 100 km/h (62 mph) with electric motor: 20 kW
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/525542/china-wuling-hongguang-sales-july2021
NIO INC. PROVIDES JULY 2021 DELIVERY UPDATE −
– NIO delivered 7,931 vehicles in July 2021, representing a strong 124.5% year-over-year growth. The deliveries consisted of 1,702 NIO ES8s, the Company’s six-seater or seven-seater flagship premium smart electric SUV, 3,669 NIO ES6s, the Company’s five-seater high-performance premium smart electric SUV, and 2,560 NIO EC6s, the Company’s five-seater premium smart electric coupe SUV.
Original Source : https://evobsession.com/nio-inc-provides-july-2021-delivery-update/
MERCEDES-BENZ CONFIRMS THE ELECTRIC EQS WILL COST OVER $100,000
– Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that the EQS sedan, its flagship electric vehicle, will cost at least $100,000, as it began taking orders in Germany on Tuesday. The base model, which has a 90kWh battery pack and uses a single electric motor to power the rear wheels, starts at €106,374.10 — roughly $124,000. The more expensive dual-motor, all-wheel drive variant features a 107.8kWh battery pack and will start at €135,529.10 — or nearly $159,000.
– For €89 per month (after a year free, of course), EQS owners will get the privilege of playing Tetris, Sudoku, and other mini-games on the massive “hyperscreen” in the dashboard, among other features.
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/10/22618661/mercedes-benz-eqs-price-sale-germany-orders-over-the-air
TESLA UPDATES OWNERS REGARDING MODEL S DELIVERY TIMEFRAMES
– Tesla has updated several owners about the potential delivery timeframes of the Model S sedan. Some owners received updates regarding the delivery dates, and others received a memo from Tesla clarifying disappearing delivery timeframes.
– We finally have an updated estimated delivery date for our Long Range Model S.
After briefly showing August twice, our estimate disappeared – now reappearing with a more clear October 31 – November 20 timeline. We’re still hoping to get our car before then but what can you do?
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-delivery-timeframe-update/
LG ENERGY SOLUTION’S ‘BATTERY INNOVATION CONTEST’
– LG Energy Solution is opening up a battery competition to public by hosting an international battery contest. Through the event, LG Energy Solution aims to spur active research within the battery industry. The event is open for entry from August 9th until the end of September.
– Although open to various themes, some of the anticipated topics may evolve around super safe battery, long life cycle, low cost, solid-state electrolyte and next-generation battery.
– Nominated universities and research institutions will be granted with up to USD $150,000 of research and development expenses annually, as well as opportunities to exchange technologies by dispatching researchers from LG Energy Solution for at least a year.
Original Source : https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lg-energy-solution-spurs-growth-in-battery-industry-by-hosting-battery-innovation-contest-301350613.html
UK: THIRD OF DRIVERS UNDECIDED OVER PETROL, DIESEL OR ELECTRIC POWER
– Around a third of British motorists say they don’t know whether to buy a petrol, diesel or electric car when they come to replace their vehicle. That’s according to new research from gap insurance company InsureTheGap.com, which surveyed more than 2,000 UK drivers to reach that conclusion.
– 32 percent of respondents said they do not know whether they would buy a petrol, diesel or electric car if they were buying a new or second-hand vehicle. Younger drivers are most likely to be undecided, with almost half (49 percent) saying they would be unsure of which type of fuel to choose.
– The news comes after the government confirmed it would bring forward the ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars. Originally slated for 2040, Boris Johnson has moved the ban forward to 2030
Original Source : https://uk.motor1.com/news/524664/drivers-undecided-petrol-diesel-electric
GAS STATIONS FACE TOUGH, COSTLY CHOICE ON EV CHARGERS
– American gas-station owners are facing a tough decision over whether to invest in electric-vehicle charging stations, a costly bet that currently makes little financial sense but might help future-proof their businesses.
– Some gas stations, convenience stores and truck stops are adding chargers to test the technology and protect their market share for the long run. Others say they crunched the numbers and decided they can’t justify the cost
– “We don’t see an investable marketplace,” said A.J. Siccardi, president of Metroplex Energy Inc., the fuel-supply subsidiary of RaceTrac Petroleum Inc., which owns more than 750 RaceTrac and RaceWay gas stations, primarily in the Southeastern U.S. “We’re perfectly OK putting capital at risk. The key is we’ve got to have a viable business case,”
Original Source : https://www.wsj.com/articles/gas-stations-face-tough-costly-choice-on-ev-chargers-11628600400
UNITED KINGDOM’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE PLANS COULD BE A BLUEPRINT FOR THE U.S.
– With carbon emissions from transportation currently the largest contributor to U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, a transition to emissions-free EVs is good news. With EV costs falling and gas prices rising, buying an emissions-free electric vehicle is already a sensible choice.
One major obstacle remains: charging EVs.
– As we look to address needs in the U.S., we can take some lessons from “across the pond.” In July, the United Kingdom released the world’s first “greenprint” to decarbonize all modes of domestic transport by 2050. The Transport Decarbonization Plan is the first zero emissions transport plan for a major economy, addressing everything from aviation to maritime transport to roads and rails.
– The greenprint’s focus on electric vehicles deserves attention in the U.S. The U.K.’s plan offers three major lessons:
- Supporting electric vehicle charging will require investment in enabling infrastructure.
– 2. Heavy-duty vehicles will be key to meeting emissions goals and reducing local pollution.
– 3. Policymakers, industry, and communities must work together.
Original Source : https://energynews.us/2021/08/10/commentary-the-united-kingdoms-electric-vehicle-plans-could-be-a-blueprint-for-the-u-s/
LETTER: PUT A HEAVY TAX ON GAS CARS. THEN THE EV MARKET WILL THRIVE
To the editor: Industrial policy is a fool’s errand. Neither politicians, newspapers nor China can pick winners and losers in the marketplace. Tastes, incomes and production costs determine what gets bought and sold. (“Biden needs to put the pedal to the metal on zero-emission cars,” editorial, Aug. 6)
The environmental costs of burning fossil fuels in automobiles are real and significant, and unaccounted for in car prices, but the federal government should not subsidize the purchase and operation of electric vehicles. This would be impossibly complicated, and requires shifting public resources from other purposes.
Instead, tax internal combustion engines at a level that places the estimated cost of the environmental damage they do inside the price of such vehicles, and let the automotive market operate. The electric vehicle market will then thrive.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
On a scale of 1-10, where does ‘environment’ rank for the reason you’re interested in EVs?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL