If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 10th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HYUNDAI AND UL ALLY TO GIVE EV BATTERIES A SECOND LIFE
– Global safety science leader UL and Hyundai Motor Co. signed a memorandum of understanding to help further the safe deployment and use of second-life battery energy storage systems
– Second-life batteries often consist of electric vehicle batteries that no longer meet the requirements of automotive applications, but are still worthwhile additions as grid-connected energy storage devices.
– In 2018, UL participated in developing UL 1974, the Standard for Evaluation for Repurposing Batteries, a bi-national standard of the United States and Canada.
– Improvements in lithium extraction, battery efficiency upgrades, lithium battery recycling, and battery reuse all present market opportunities as the world shifts the way it uses energy.
TESLA MAKES HEPA FILTER STANDARD ON MODEL Y ELECTRIC SUV
– Tesla has made its Hepa filter with “bioweapon defense mode” standard on new Model Y electric SUVs produced at Fremont Factory.
– the filter in the Model X is about 10 times larger than a normal car filter, and it is “100 times more effective than premium automotive filters,” as it removes “at least 99.97% of fine particulate matter and gaseous pollutants, as well as bacteria, viruses, pollen and mold spores.”
– Over the last month, Tesla has transitioned the Model Y produced in Fremont Factory to the new bigger filter.
TESLA SAYS FIRES ARE 11X LESS LIKELY COMPARED TO THE AVERAGE
– While articles covering a fire involving a Tesla Inc TSLA vehicle seem to be common, news of non-electric vehicles burning is rare, although there were an estimated 212,500 vehicle fires in 2018 alone, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
– Tesla is releasing new data in its 2020 impact report, showing fires in its vehicles are 11x less likely than other vehicles in the U.S. Tesla points out that while vehicle fires in the media often point to EVs, the reasoning may be the rarity of an electric vehicle fire, rather than the prevalence.
– Tesla’s data shows there was one Tesla fire every 205 million miles from 2012 to 2020. This is compared with data from the NFPA showing on average there is a vehicle fire every 19 million miles.
TESLA CEO ELON MUSK EARNED $11BN LAST YEAR
– Elon Musk is the most highly compensated chief executive in the world, according to Forbes’ calculations. The platform calculates that he was paid $11 billion in 2020 all in Tesla stock options awarded to him as part of the compensation plan he signed with the electric carmaker in 2018.
– Musk is entitled to options that will allow him to buy a total of 101.2 million Tesla shares at a split-adjusted price of $70 per share. What is more, the compensation is divided into 12 tranches.
– The first four tranches of Musk’s options awards vested in 2020, as Tesla hit various market capitalization and operational milestones and its stock increased sevenfold, boosting Musk’s fortune astronomically
– Musk must hold the newly awarded Tesla shares for five years, according to filings. So while he has the right to exercise a total of 33.77 million options from his 2020 awards, he can’t immediately turn around and sell those shares
MIAMI’S $120 MILLION ‘FUTURE-PROOF’ CAR DEALERSHIP REFINES THE LUXURY BUYING EXPERIENCE
– Warren Henry Auto Group is betting big on its future, having constructed a $120 million dealership in North Miami, Florida.
– The company’s story stretches back to 1976 when Larry Zinn’s father Warren opened his first car dealership.
– The new North Dade dealership site is the equivalent of 19 acres of concrete across seven stories. It allows for more of the company’s inventory to be kept in a climate controlled environmen
– Zinn calls the new space “future proof” saying that it’s been wired for 400 electric vehicle chargers across multiple floors.
– Today, 90 percent of buyers shop online before arriving at the Group’s retail outlets.
KIA SOUL EV BOARDMASTERS EDITION IS A SURFER’S DREAM MACHINE
– Automakers often destroy pre-production prototypes after they’ve reached the end of the development process, but Kia’s U.K. division recently saved a Kia Soul EV prototype that was destined for the crusher. After it avoided an untimely death, this Soul was transformed into this custom, lifted surf-mobile for Boardmasters 2021, a surfing and music festival on the Cornish Coast in England.
– the Boardmasters Edition retains the production car’s powertrain, with a 64.0-kWh battery
– sits on new 16-inch white steel wheels shod in 265/75 R16 Maxxis Bighorn tires, which required redesigned wheel arches.
– Along with off-road tires, the Boardmasters Edition gains a modified suspension with a 3.0-inch lift, as well as a 4.3-inch wider track at the front and 4.5-inch wider track at the rear. There is also steel roof rack that holds a pair of Tahe Bic Malibu surfboards
– The Soul EV Boardmasters Edition will be on display throughout the festival from August 11 to 15.
FORD TAKES CHARGE OF ITS BATTERY SUPPLY CHAIN
– Today China, South Korea and Japan dominate battery cell manufacturing, while raw minerals are sourced from several primary locations including Chile, China, Africa, as well as the US, Canada and Australia for some materials.
– According to the Ultima Media report, there are surges in demand for lithium batteries around the world; along with regional spikes that are hard to forecast, there is the threat of demand outstripping the supply of crucial minerals, such as nickel, cobalt and lithium.
– Ford recognises that recent raw material price increases are an indication of demand outpacing supply and it calls on government and private enterprise support to secure the battery chain.
MAGNA’S PROPRIETARY ‘EBEAM’ AXLE TECH
– automotive technology company Magna International developed a proprietary electric axle technology it claims is the quickest way to electrify the millions of gas-powered pickup trucks that are already on the road. Magna developed a drop-in solid axle replacement which can be swapped out for traditional beam axles. It’s called an “eBeam” and it has been designed to retrofit and electrify light commercial vehicles and help new electrified trucks reach the market faster.
– The transmission and electric motor of the eBeam are directly installed on the solid axle assembly. With the help of this technology, automakers can electrify their existing models without making any major modifications to the vehicle’s architecture.
– The eBeam uses the existing packaging space of the vehicle platform. The technology also helps retain the factory payload and towing capacity of the pickup truck.
NHS DEVELOPS ELECTRIC AMBULANCES WITH FORD
– The British National Health Service (NHS) is planning to purchase a fleet of fully electric ambulances. For this purpose, the NHS will cooperate with Ford and the Venari Group to develop a corresponding vehicle based on the Ford Transit.
– the electric ambulance will be unveiled next month at the Emergency Services Show in Birmingham. According to the report, the ambulance will be designed for a two-person crew and offer a range of 250 miles, or about 400 kilometres. Production is scheduled to start in 2022.
– The vehicle will be able to do more than enough miles on a single charge to meet the demands of a typical shift
– it will be deployed most often in an urban environment, where it may do as few as 70 miles a day, with a lot of stopping and starting in traffic and at junctions. It has more immediate acceleration than a diesel and will give a smoother ride.
– The jointly developed ambulance, based on the Ford Transit, is to be assembled at Ford’s Dagenham facility
ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGEPOINTS SET TO BECOME NEXT GREAT BRITISH EMBLEM
– the red post box or black cab, following the appointment of the Royal College of Art (RCA) and PA Consulting to deliver an iconic British chargepoint design, Transport Secretary Grant Shapps has announced today
– The design will be unveiled at COP26 in Glasgow this November and could be seen on streets across the country from 2022. The chargepoints will be functional and accessible for all users with sustainability at the heart of the design.
– there are now over 25,000 public charging devices across the UK – a major milestone, which means that electric vehicle drivers are never more than 25 miles from a chargepoint on UK roads. This comes as recent statistics from the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT) show that over one in 6 cars sold in July 2021 had a plug.
– The rollout will allow chargepoints to be more recognisable for drivers, helping to create awareness around the transition to EVs – and linking them to the iconic British designs of old that are recognised the world over.
WOLFEBORO PD ADDS TESLA TO ITS FLEET OF CRUISERS
– Wolfeboro police have added an unusual squad car to its fleet of cruisers.A 2021 Model Y Tesla was bought with money given by a family that wishes to remain anonymous.
– It’s the first Tesla police cruiser in New Hampshire. Other police departments with Tesla cruisers include those in Westport, Conn., and Fremont, Calif.
– The car had to be customized with 20-inch tires, and the police radio and siren switches are on a remote control-type device instead of in the console.
WHY BYD BLADE BATTERY IS AHEAD OF COMPETITION
– Currently the LFP (LiFePO4) cobalt-free chemistry allows to build EV batteries that are extremely safe, durable, simple, affordable and with good performance.
Since – unlike NCM or NCA – LFP battery cells are extremely safe and won’t burn or explode even if punctured, the battery packs don’t require much safety equipment and can adopt a simple CTP (cell-to-pack) format becoming module-less.
– Everbright Securities analyzed the cost of several battery packs made with LFP cells from different companies and you’ll see why BYD is ahead of competition.
– Cost of LFP (LiFePO4) battery packs
Average with modules: 650 yuan (85 euros) per kWh
CATL with CTP: 570 yuan (75 euros) per kWh
BYD with CTP: 420 yuan (55 euros) per kWh
– Everbright Securities estimates that SIBs (sodium-ion batteries) are 30 % cheaper to produce than LIBs (lithium-ion batteries), dropping the cost per kWh below 40 euros.
– Remember when the auto industry told us that when the kWh cost of battery packs reached 100 USD (85 euros) electric cars would achieve price parity with their gas-counterparts?
Automakers that don’t plan to soon start using cobalt-free battery cells in CTP packs aren’t serious about mass producing affordable electric cars. The technology is right there in front of them.
– With a good 60 kWh LFP battery costing around 3.300 euros today there is no good reason why we still allow automakers to profit from ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) cars that poison our air.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
On a scale of 1-10, where does ‘environment’ rank for the reason you’re interested in EVs?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL