If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 6th August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
BIDEN TIGHTENS POLLUTION RULES
– President Biden on Thursday announced a multistep strategy aimed at rapidly shifting Americans from gasoline-powered cars and trucks toward electric vehicles — a central part of his plan to reduce the pollution that is heating the planet.
– The new rules, which would apply to vehicles in the model year 2023, would cut about one-third of the carbon dioxide produced annually by the United States and prevent the burning of about 200 billion gallons of gasoline over the lifetime of the cars, according to a White House fact sheet.
– The administration next plans to draft even more stringent pollution rules for both passenger vehicles and heavy-duty trucks that are designed to compel automakers to ramp up sales of electric vehicles.
– Mr. Biden, who announced the plan from the South Lawn of the White House before an array of parked electric vehicles, including the Ford F150 Lightning, the Chevrolet Bolt EV and a Jeep Wrangler.
– Mr. Biden wants to retool and expand the domestic supply chain so that the batteries that are essential to electric vehicles are also made in American factories.
– He also signed an executive order that calls for the government to try to ensure that half of all vehicles sold in the United States be electric by 2030.
– The tailpipe emissions regulations enacted by the Obama administration in 2012 required that passenger vehicles sold by automakers achieve an average of roughly 51 miles per gallon by 2025. Mr. Trump loosened the standard in 2020 to about 44 miles per gallon by 2026. The new Biden standard would be 52 miles per gallon by 2026.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/05/climate/biden-tailpipe-emissions-electric-vehicles.html
BIDEN’S DRIVE FOR THE FUTURE
– Sometimes it isn’t what you say but who’ll stand with you when you say it. On Thursday President Biden stood alongside the leaders of the big three U.S. auto makers and the president of the United Auto Workers as he announced his goal that half of all new cars sold by 2030 would produce no tailpipe pollution and directed the Environmental Protection Agency to begin developing new standards for cars, trucks and buses. The Biden administration has unified manufacturers, labor and environmental groups behind a common purpose: to accelerate the manufacturing of zero-emitting vehicles and the economic, health and climate benefits they will provide.
– Mr. Biden is also sending an unmistakable sign that the U.S. intends to lead in developing zero-emitting vehicles—a signal that will provide the long-term certainty that manufacturers need to plan. That will help unlock the next $100 billion in investments and the jobs those investments will create here in the U.S.
Original Source : https://www.wsj.com/articles/bidens-executive-order-electric-vehicles-climate-change-united-auto-workers-11628201478
BIDEN NEEDS TO ACCELERATE EFFORTS ON ZERO-EMISSION CARS
– Here’s the harsh reality: The status quo is unsustainable, and targets and aspirations are no longer sufficient. It should be obvious by now that climate change is creating havoc and destruction across the globe. It will take dramatic action to cut greenhouse gas emissions enough to prevent a climate catastrophe. In the U.S., where gas-powered cars and trucks are the single largest source of greenhouse gas emissions, that means accelerating the transition to clean vehicles.
Original Source : https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-08-06/biden-clean-cars
TESLA JUST GOT SNUBBED BY BIDEN’S ELECTRIC VEHICLE SUMMIT
– President Joe Biden celebrated ambitious electric vehicles goals by automakers at the White House on Thursday. But he did so without the world’s largest maker of EVs: Tesla. Joining Biden were executives from General Motors (GM) and Ford (F), as well as Stellantis, the company formed by the merger earlier this year of Fiat Chrysler and France’s PSA. But electric vehicles are only a sliver of these companies’ US sales — 1.5% for GM and 1.3% for Ford so far this year, and Stellantis doesn’t have any pure EVs for sale on US soil yet.
– One potential reason for the apparent snub: The United Auto Workers union will also be at the ceremony. The UAW represents workers at GM, Ford and Stellantis, but has been battling, so far unsuccessfully, to organize Tesla workers at the EV maker’s plant in Fremont, California.
– Volkswagen (VLKAF), which has surpassed Tesla in EV sales in Europe so far this year, is due to start building an EV for the US market at its Chattanooga, Tennessee, plant in 2022. But the UAW has twice failed to win union representation votes at that plant. The German automaker also will not be represented at the White House event.
Original Source : https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/05/business/tesla-snub-white-house-event/index.html
BIDEN SEEKS TO MAKE HALF OF NEW U.S. AUTO FLEET ELECTRIC BY 2030
– The goals of both Biden and the automakers include battery electric, fuel cell and plug-in hybrid vehicles that also have a gasoline engine.Biden has repeatedly resisted calls from many Democrats to set a binding requirement for EV adoption or to follow California and some countries in setting 2035 as a date to phase out the sale of new gasoline-powered light-duty vehicles in the face of opposition by the United Auto Workers (UAW) union.
– After signing the executive order on the South Lawn of the White House, Biden jumped into a waiting EV Jeep, which he proceeded to drive rapidly around the grounds.
– Hyundai (005380.KS) said it supports the 2030 40-50% EV sales goal, while Nissan said it has a target that more than 40% of its U.S. vehicle sales by 2030 be EVs. Toyota (7203.T) in a statement called the goal “great for the environment” and said it would “do our part.”
– BMW (BMWG.DE), Honda (7267.T), Volkswagen (VOWG_p.DE), Ford and Volvo Cars (0175.HK) – which previously struck the California deal – said in a joint statement they support the administration’s EV goal but the federal government must take “bold action … to build consumer demand.”
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/biden-set-target-50-evs-by-2030-industry-backs-goal-2021-08-05
ALLEGRA STRATTON COMMENTS DRAW CRITICISM
– Electric car experts have rallied to the defence of the vehicles after suggestions from a government spokesperson that they were unsuitable for long journeys.
– Allegra Stratton, spokesperson for the Cop26 climate summit, courted controversy when she told Times Radio on Monday that she continued to use a diesel car because of taking long journeys to Scotland, Wales and Gloucestershire for family visits.
Original Source : https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/aug/03/experts-defend-electric-cars-after-allegra-stratton-comments
VOLKSWAGEN’S HERBERT DIESS CRITICIZES IONITY CHARGING EXPERIENCE
– Volkswagen Group’s boss Herbert Diess has responded to a LinkedIn post, sharing his not too good charging experience at the IONITY fast charging network in Europe.
You may recall that IONITY was founded by BMW Group, Daimler AG, Ford Motor Company and the Volkswagen Group through Porsche AG, with Hyundai Motor Group also joining later.
– It’s not only the size of the network that’s lagging; Herbert Diess points out that the stations are lacking in other areas, including reliability and restrooms.
– Too few charging points on the burner! Only 4 – of course, everyone stops at the shopping center. Occupied. So continued to Trento. Even after the criticism last year: no toilet, no coffee, a column except for operation / defective, sad affair. This is anything but a premium charging experience, IONITY!” – via Google Translate
– It appears that the IONITY network is at the crossroads right now as it will have to secure more investments from the founders to improve and expand. But will they be willing to invest or just seek opportunities elsewhere?
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/524953/volkswagen-herbert-diess-criticizes-ionity/
ELECTRIC VEHICLE SALES OUTPACE DIESEL AGAIN
– More electric vehicles were registered than diesel cars for the second month in a row in July, according to car industry figures.It is the third time battery electric vehicles have overtaken diesel in the past two years.
– The UK plans to ban the sale of new petrol and diesel cars by 2030, and hybrids by 2035.
– In July there was “bumper growth” in the sale of plug-in cars, the SMMT said, with battery electric vehicles taking 9% of sales. Plug-in hybrids reached 8% of sales, and hybrid electric vehicles were at almost 12%.This is compared with a 7.1% market share for diesel, which saw 8,783 registrations.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58100474
TESLA CYBERTRUCK STEEL SUPPLIER’S $1.7-BILLION TX FACILITY IS COMING TO FORM
– It appears that the pieces are starting to come together for the Tesla Cybertruck. Apart from the rapid development of Gigafactory Texas, Steel Dynamics, Tesla’s supplier for the steel that would be used in the vehicle, is also making some great progress in its Sinton, TX mill. Aerial video of Steel Dynamics’ Sinton site shows that the complex is quite large, and a good portion of it has already been fitted with equipment.
– What’s quite interesting is that the Sinton steel plant is only about 167 miles away from Gigafactory Texas. This should make the transportation of steel between the two facilities feasible, which should help Tesla ramp Cybertruck production smoothly.
– The Tesla Cybertruck is expected to enter its Beta phase later this year, with mass production starting next year. This effectively gives Steel Dynamics more time to build out and develop its Sinton, TX plant. And if everything goes well, Tesla may very well find itself with a reliable steel supplier that could keep pace with the company and the potential demand for its uniquely-designed all-electric pickup truck.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-cybertruck-steel-factory-update-video/
RUSSIA PLANS TO SUBSIDISE ELECTRIC CARS TO SPUR DEMAND
– Russia plans to subsidise the purchase of domestically manufactured electric vehicles (EVs) to stimulate demand and production, the country’s economy ministry said on Wednesday.
– Out of an estimated total of 45 million cars driven in Russia last year, only 11,000 were EVs, most of them used cars.
– Through the subsidy, the government plans to cover 25% of the purchase price of any Russian-made electric car, to a maximum of 625,000 roubles ($8,570), possibly starting next year
– Russia is targeting annual EV production of 220,000 units by 2030 and authorities have said that foreign auto makers had shown interest in producing models locally.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/russia-plans-subsidise-electric-cars-spur-demand-2021-08-04/
BOSTON ELECTRIC-VEHICLE PROGRAM GOOD2GO IS ZIPCAR-MEETS-TESLA
– The Boston area already produced the carsharing giant Zipcar. Now a new service is combining that idea with the fast-growing demand for electric vehicles and a mission of helping equality.
– E4TheFuture, a nonprofit with an equity and environmental mission, and the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center, a quasi-public state agency, have jointly funded a new program called Good2Go that provides electric vehicles in Boston.
– The program plans to target neighborhoods where residents might not have cars and can’t easily hop on a bus with arms full of groceries or other goods.
– Good2Go works in a way familiar to anyone who’s used a carsharing service, though with an environmentally friendly focus. People can sign up to rent a car by the hour in one of a group of parking lots, with a basic $10-an-hour rate and a $5-an-hour rate for those who qualify if they’re already enrolled in public-assistance programs.
– Good2Go’s fleet includes two Chevrolet Bolts and four Nissan Leafs, with plans to add two more cars in the next few months. The program could eventually go statewide.
Original Source : https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2021/08/04/boston-good2go-is-zipcar-meets-tesla.html
MAJORITY OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE OWNERS TO MAKE THE SWITCH PERMANENT
– Nine-out-of-10 electric vehicle owners do not see themselves ever switching back to diesel or petrol cars.
According to the latest research by What Car?, when asked why, 65% of owners gave the reason that electric cars are better for the environment, while 62% said the tech and cars will only improve in the future, so they see no reason to switch over.
– For the 10% who said they are considering going back to petrol or diesel cars in the future, having a vehicle with better range was given as the main reason by 51% of respondents.
Original Source : https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/majority-electric-vehicle-owners-make-switch-permanent-says-whatcar-04-08-2021
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the ideal location for a charging port on any EV? Petrol filler caps are usually in the same location and forecourts all the look the same. Is it time we encouraged EV makers and charging suppliers to standardize socket location and charger design?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL