If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 2nd August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
VW TO UPGRADE EMDEN FACTORY OVER SUMMER BREAK
– Volkswagen has announced that it will be pushing ahead with a number of construction projects at the Emden site during the upcoming plant holiday. More than 1,000 employees and external workers are to work on around 300 construction sites between 2 and 27 August for the transformation to an EV production site.
– the transformation is to be completed in the first half of 2022 and volume production of e-vehicles will start. This will initially involve the ID.4, which will then be built at two locations in Germany in addition to Zwickau. In addition, two plants in China will produce the ID.4 X and ID.4 Crozz versions there, and later the ID.4 will also be built at the US plant in Chattanooga.
– In addition to the ID.4, the fully electric production versions of the ID.Vizzion and ID.Space Vizzion show cars are also scheduled to come off the production line in Emden from 2023 onwards. These are a sedan and the accompanying estate car the size of a Passat
THE AUDI A6 E-TRON CONCEPT WILL GO INTO PRODUCTION IN 2022
– Audi is doing everything it can to make concept cars more than just something to dream about.
The German marque plans to put its well-received A6 e-tron concept into production, just as it did with the e-tron GT before it, CNET Roadshow reports. Even more exciting, the car could make its debut as soon as next year, with a release expected to follow in 2023.
– the car will be able to go 450 miles on a single charge, which is further than any EV currently on the market. New 800-volt charging tech will allow drivers to add 186 miles of range in just 10 minutes and go from 10- to 80-percent battery capacity in a half hour.
NEW PORSCHE 911 TURBO HYBRID SPIED AT THE NURBURGRING
– Porsche is preparing to electrify the 911 with the first ever plug-in hybrid version of its iconic sports car, and our spy photographers have captured the car testing at the Nurburgring Nordschleife.
– Porsche engineered the 992-series platform to accommodate a hybrid powertrain, confirmed to Auto Express in March 2020
– The marque is aiming to lose none of the 911s trademark usability with the hybrid model, which will likely retain the standard car’s 2+2 layout.
– Specific powertrain details are yet to be confirmed, but the 911 hybrid is expected to have similar performance to the Panamera S E-Hybrid, which uses a 4.0-litre twin-turbocharged V8 paired to an electric motor
LUCID MOTORS AIMS FOR 500-MILE RANGE
– To do a truly affordable electric car, the company would have to grow. It would represent a huge investment for us if my investors wanted to do that.So I think if you’re talking about (a starting price of) $25,000-$30,000. We’re about seven or eight years out from that, realistically. Nine years on from Model S, Tesla still hasn’t done a $25,000-$30,000 car.I don’t think we’ve got the company maturity and infrastructure (yet) and the amount of capital it would take.
– I believe that we need to create a technological tour de force. Not many people need 500-mile range, but it is a way of dismissing range anxiety once and for all, isn’t it?You can replace range anxiety with range confidence. Great products do extraordinary things.
– Who are your competitors?
Rawlinson: The gasoline luxury market. And that’s really dominated by Mercedes, BMWs, Porsches, and to some extent, Lexus and Jaguar as well.The media likes a comparison with Tesla. Tesla is the undisputed leader in technology. Tesla is the benchmark against which everyone will be judged, particularly for EV efficiency powertrain prowess
TESLA MODEL Y ARRIVES AT SHOWROOM IN AMSTERDAM
– The European market is eagerly awaiting the delivery of the first Model Ys, which should begin in August. In the meantime, Tesla began placing the compact SUV in showrooms and the first Model Y was to appear at Tesla Amsterdam South-East showroom, Netherlands today.
– On July 29, a Tesla customer in the Netherlands received an email from the company informing them that the first Model Y would appear in the Amsterdam showroom on July 31.
TESLA SETTLES CLASS-ACTION LAWSUIT OVER MODEL S RANGE REDUCTION
– Way, way back in 2019, we reported on an investigation by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) into some issues that customers were having with their Tesla Model S batteries. Specifically, Tesla sent out an over-the-air software update that was meant to address a problem with the Model S’ battery pack, but it ended up reducing the range of the affected vehicles.
– Tesla has agreed to pay out $1.5 million to owners of affected vehicles, which works out to around $625 per owner.
– t’s barely a drop in the bucket. Still, it is likely satisfying to those affected owners who — according to Tesla — had their cars’ range restored beginning in March of 2020.
SANDY MUNRO IS IMPRESSED BY THE FORD F-150 LIGHTNING
– According to Sandy Munro, Ford has a real winner. The vehicle has tons of great, usable features, starting with the massive front trunk (frunk) that looks bigger in person. Another thing is the power export feature. And a smart range estimator for trailers.
– Munro Live’s team checked also the undercarriage, noting that the rear suspension looks very solid and has a unique geometry.
– Another element that caught the attention of the team is the “isolated” battery pack, which also appears to be unique according to the video. Not only that, from separate reports we know that the 300 miles (483 km) of range might be a conservative approach (see specs here).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/523642/sandy-munro-ford-f150-lightning
BHP SAYS ELECTRIC CAR ERA IS DAWNING EARLIER THAN EXPECTED
– Australia’s largest miner BHP has described 2020 as an “inflection point” for the rapidly approaching electric vehicle revolution as Elon Musk’s Tesla sold more than half a million battery-powered cars and sales in Europe more than doubled.
– The ASX-listed mining giant, whose main commodities are iron ore, copper and coal, is seeking to expand its exposure to the minerals that will be increasingly required to power the clean energy age such as nickel and copper, which are two of the ingredients in lithium-ion batteries.
– BHP’s nickel division now sold 85 per cent of its volumes to the electric vehicle market rather than the stainless steel industry.
– Robyn Denholm, Tesla’s Australian-born chairwoman, in June declared Tesla was on track to spend more than $1 billion a year on Australian-mined lithium, nickel and other metals needed to make batteries and vehicles, but warned the country was missing out on a far more valuable role in the global supply chain.
KUWAIT PORTS PLANS REGION’S FIRST CITY FOR ELECTRIC CAR MAKERS
– Kuwait Ports Authority (KPA) has approved a proposal to build the Middle East’s first city to serve electric vehicle manufacturers, the authority said in a statement on Sunday.
– The statement does not make clear where the project, called EV City, will be located.
– electric car makers do not use local distributors or dealers and sell their vehicles directly to consumers, adding that it was common for ports to provide certain infrastructure to manufacturers.
– The Public Investment Fund, the sovereign wealth fund of neighbouring Saudi Arabia, has made huge gains after it invested more than $1 billion in electric carmaker Lucid in 2018.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT BRINGING AN ELECTRIC CAR TO UNIVERSAL ORLANDO
– There are charging stations for electric vehicles in the main parking area if you are visiting Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure, Universal’s Volcano Bay, or CityWalk. However, there are only four stations total — two for Teslas and two for other manufacturers — and they are located at Valet Parking.
– In addition to the four stations in the primary garage, there are electric vehicle charging stations at each of the hotels. Each hotel has at least two charging stations in their parking areas.
– You can find locations of chargers, along with reviews, throughout Orlando at PlugShare and Drive Electric Orlando.
Original Source : https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/electriccar-universalorlando/
RENAULT MASTER E-TECH DELIVERS FIRST EVS FOR LYRECO
– The Renault Master E-Tech has been chosen by Europe’s leading distributor of workplace products and services to spearhead the transition of its UK business to an all-electric delivery fleet.
– Lyreco, which has a presence in 25 countries in Europe and Asia, has introduced 17 all-electric Renault Master E-Tech panel vans to its London operation, which will work out of its Greenford, Tottenham and Dartford distribution depots.
– hile its London-based vans will not cover a great deal of miles completing delivery routes, they will carry a significant amount of customer orders. With an average order weighing circa 40kg
– Lyreco will charge its new vans via 7kW charge points that it has recently installed across its London distribution depots. With an 80 per cent charge being achievable in only 4.5 hours, it’s straightforward for Lyreco to keep its vans ‘topped-up’ between deliveries. To ensure its operatives also get the most enjoyment and convenience from its new Master E-Tech fleet, Lyreco has also invested in electric vehicle driver training.
– With a 33kWh battery, it provides an all-electric range of up to 75 miles (WLTP).
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the ideal location for a charging port on any EV? Petrol filler caps are usually in the same location and forecourts all the look the same. Is it time we encouraged EV makers and charging suppliers to standardize socket location and charger design?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONAL CAR CHARGING ON THE US MAINLAND AND ALOHA CHARGE IN HAWAII
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOU