If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 1st August. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA LOWERS PRICE OF MODEL 3 SR+ IN CHINA
– Tesla updated its online design studio in China with a new price for the locally produced Model 3 Standard Range Plus version. It’s now noticeably less expensive.
– Model 3 starts at 251,740 yuan ($38,960), which is about 14,000 yuan (2,166) or 5.3% less than in January 2021 (265,740 yuan). After including a subsidy of 15,840 yuan ($2,451) the effective price is 235,900 yuan ($36,508).
– The estimated delivery time of both versions is 4-6 weeks.
The main question is whether Tesla will lower the prices of the Model 3 Standard Range Plus also in other markets, like Europe and the U.S.?
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/523604/tesla-price-model3-srp-china
TESLA FILES PATENT TO RECOVER AND RECYCLE NICKEL AND COBALT IN OLD BATTERIES
– Tesla has filed a patent that aims to recover undamaged and unutilized nickel and cobalt, two crucial raw materials in battery cells. The patent outlines the use of an electrochemical dissolution to recover the Earth metals for recycling purposes, moving toward a more efficient supply chain as some battery materials are becoming hard to obtain due to global supply chain shortages.
– The patent, if granted, would open doors for Tesla to recover some of the most crucial elements of an electric vehicle or energy storage battery.
CREWS BATTLE TESLA BATTERY FIRE IN AUSTRALIA
– A toxic blaze at the site of Australia’s largest Tesla battery project is set to burn throughout the night.
– The fire broke out during testing of a Tesla megapack at the Victorian Big Battery site near Geelong.A 13-tonne lithium battery was engulfed in flames, which then spread to an adjacent battery bank.
– More than 150 people from Fire Rescue Victoria and the Country Fire Authority responded to the blaze, which has been contained and will be closely monitored until it burns itself out.
RENAULT CEO CONFIDENT OF MEETING EMISSIONS TARGETS WITH HIGH EV/HYBRID MIX
– Renault Group expects to meet its 2021 CO2 emissions targets, thanks to a 20 percent mix of “green sales” that includes full-electric, plug-in hybrid and full hybrid hybrid vehicles, CEO Luca de Meo said.
– “We have 11 percent mix of EVs with basically three cars, the Dacia Spring, the Renault Zoe and the Twingo ZE, which is clearly beyond our expectations in terms of orders,” he said.
– “On the hybrid side, we see E-Tech technically replacing the mix of diesel in just six to eight months” since models with the drivetrains were launched, de Meo said. “That’s a huge thing because just a few years ago we were worried about what would replace the loss of diesel.”
– The Zoe, on the market since late 2012, was the third-best-selling EV in western Europe in the first half
– Dacia boss Denis Le Vot said the Chinese-built Spring minicar had 16,000 firm customer orders, even though retail deliveries would not start until September (about 2,000 Springs have been delivered to European fleet customers, mostly for short-term rental programs).
MERCEDES RELEASES TEASER IMAGE OF EQE ELECTRIC MID-SIZE SEDAN
– Mercedes-Benz has confirmed that the EQE will debut at the Munich (formerly Frankfurt) auto show this September, releasing a teaser image of a sedan that looks like a shrunken version of the range-topping EQS sedan.The first EV from the performance-oriented AMG division will also be revealed in Munich and will likely be based on the EQS.
– According to the Mercedes announcement, two of the new EVs are set to be production-spec vehicles.
Original Source : https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a37171959/mercedes-eqe-electric-sedan-teaser/
HYUNDAI IONIQ 5 ARRIVES IN THE UK
– Hyundai has just released a short video teaser with the first shipment of the all-new Ioniq 5 in the UK. According to the company, the Silver Ray vehicle carrier has completed its journey of over 12,000 nautical miles with more than 3,900 cars on board.
– We believe that Hyundai has a significant order backlog for the Ioniq 5 – its first dedicated electric car, based on the all-new E-GMP platform – and that it has the potential for exceeding 10,000 units a month (globally) in the near future.
– The 72.6 kWh battery version combined with RWD is rated at up to 300 miles (483 km) of WLTP range.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/523417/hyundai-ioniq-5-arrives-uk/
RIVIAN IN TALKS WITH MINISTERS OVER UK FACTORY
– Sky News has learnt that Rivian, which is also backed by the Ford Motor Company and many of the biggest investors in Silicon Valley, has been in secret negotiations with the British government for weeks about the construction of a plant near Bristol.
– The talks are not yet at an advanced stage, and Britain is facing competition from rival proposals from Germany and the Netherlands, according to industry sources. Any investment decision is likely to be ultimately worth well over £1bn, they added.
Original Source : https://news.sky.com/story/amazon-backed-electric-vehicle-maker-rivian-in-talks-with-ministers-over-uk-factory-12368739
Careers – Rivian
– Engineers for our advanced concepts, body and lighting teams can be found in Woking, just outside London. They’re focused not only on making sure R1T and R1S exceed customer expectations, but also on future Rivian products
THE BIPARTISAN INFRASTRUCTURE BILL IS GOOD FOR EVS
– If it’s approved, the bipartisan infrastructure deal announced this week will make it easier for Americans to buy and own an electric car. But it won’t help meet President Joe Biden’s ambitious goal to cut carbon emissions in half by 2030.
– Experts in urban policy and electrification told The Verge that the money authorized for a nationwide network of EV chargers would have a measurable impact on Americans’ car-buying choices. The $1 trillion deal ($550 billion of which is new spending) includes $7.5 billion to fund Biden’s plan to build half a million EV chargers across the country
– If this deal passes, though, it will likely entrench — not disrupt — the transportation habits of millions of Americans.
START-UP TO SELL US$300,000 ELECTRIC BOATS
– Arc, a start-up with a deep bench of former SpaceX employees, is entering the fledgling market for electric boats with a US$300,000, 475-horsepower pleasure craft.
– The Los Angeles-based company plans to have its first model, a sleek speed boat called the Arc One, ready for sale by the end of 2021, after which the company hopes to manufacture limited editions of the craft.
– The electric boat market remains small, with only some 15,000 vessels sold last year, according to Cambridge-based researcher IDTechEx, but is starting to take off as the technology improves, battery prices fall and consumers increasingly look for more sustainable options.
LIVING VEHICLE’S SHINY NEW $500K CAMPING TRAILER CAN CHARGE AN EV
– Californian outfit Living Vehicle has rolled out the latest version of its travel trailer designed both for short-term trips and long-term getaways, kitted out with upgraded energy systems to push the boundaries of off-grid living
– Powering the whole operation on the flagship PRO-EV model is an upgraded energy system with new solar panels totaling 3,520 W that feed a 57.6-kWh storage system. This works with a 20-kW hybrid inverter to offer electric vehicle charging capabilities via an integrated 240-V charging station.
Original Source : https://newatlas.com/outdoors/living-vehicle-2022-camping-trailer-charge-ev/
FACT CHECK: POSTS MAKES FALSE CLAIM ABOUT GM, ELECTRIC CARS
– With the rise in electric vehicles and charging stations, some people are questioning if the cars are actually as environmentally friendly as advertised. Social media users are using an outdated and misleading video to claim automaker General Motors said 95% of energy for charging electric cars comes from coal.
– “GM admits the ‘clean’ energy used to charge electric cars comes from COAL. 95% coal, to be exact,” reads a July 13 Facebook post. The claim went viral in April, after a video was shared to YouTube titled, “GM spokesperson admits 95% of ‘clean’ energy to charge electric cars comes from COAL.”
– The video referenced in the claims as evidence is from a 2010 news conference in Lansing, Michigan, regarding the Chevy Volt
– The clip was part of “Planet of the Humans,” a documentary directed by Jeff Gibbs. It was released in 2020 ahead of Earth Day, and climate experts say the film is full of falsehoods and outdated information on renewable energy.
– Per data from the EIA, 60% of electricity generation in the U.S. in 2020 was from fossil fuels: coal (19.3%)
Original Source : https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/07/30/fact-check-posts-makes-false-claim-gm-electric-cars/5428075001/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With 2877 Superchargers globally and 25000 stalls, what do you think about Tesla’s plan to open up the network to everyone?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL