If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 28th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
AMAZON ROLLS OUT ITS FIRST ELECTRIC DELIVERY VEHICLES IN METRO DETROIT
– The new Amazon electric delivery vehicle started making runs out of the Pontiac hub this week. There are currently three of them and staffers are getting trained on how to use them and the new in-vehicle systems on the roads of Oakland, Macomb and Genesee counties. The vehicles are Rivian pre-production electric trucks built at the Rivian Engineering Center in Plymouth.
REVEL TO LAUNCH TESLA TAXIS IN NYC AFTER ROW WITH CITY REGULATORS
– Controversial scooter startup Revel plans to launch its fleet of Tesla taxis in Manhattan next week after a heated battle with New York City regulators. The service will launch next Monday and provide rides in 50 Model Y Teslas in Manhattan south of 42nd Street.
– Revel — whose ubiquitous blue scooters drew controversy last year after a trio of fatal accidents in New York — is able to launch the service due to an apparent change of heart by New York’s Taxi and Limousine Commission.
– On June 22, however, the TLC threw a wrench into the company’s plans when it issued an emergency rule change eliminating that exemption, a move that baffled observers including Tesla CEO Elon Musk.
But because Revel had initially sent its Tesla taxi paperwork for TLC approval in March — months before the rule change — the TLC ultimately decided to approve the company’s plan, a Revel spokesperson told The Post.
– Demand for Revel’s service has soared amid sky-high ride-share fares and a dire shortage of taxis, with 50,000 New Yorkers on a waitlist to use the service, the company said.
– Revel expects at least 15 Teslas to be in service next Monday and all 50 to be on the streets within three weeks. The company says its Tesla taxi service, which uses full time workers rather than contractors, is intended to be an ethical and eco-friendly competitor to Uber and Lyft
TROUBLED EV COMPANY LORDSTOWN MOTORS GETS $400M LIFELINE
– Five weeks after Lordstown Motors issued a warning that it might not have enough funds to bring its electric pickup truck to market, a hedge fund managed by investment firm Yorkville Advisors has agreed to buy $400 million worth of shares over a three-year period
– The tumult within Lordstown Motors, which has resulted in the resignation of its CEO and CTO, has put the company at risk of failing. This new agreement could allow Lordstown to continue by providing the much-needed capital required to produce its first electric vehicle.
– Lordstown execs dug themselves into a deeper hole by attempting to calm investors a day after its CEO and CTO resigned with statements that they had binding orders from customers that would fund limited production of its electric pickup truck through May 2022. The company retracted those statements within days.
TESLA BANKS ON SHANGHAI GIGAFACTORY 3, ITS ‘PRIMARY VEHICLE EXPORT HUB’
– Tesla is relying on its Shanghai factory to meet global demand for its vehicles, as its other plants grapple with shortages of automotive chips and other car components.
– it had completed the transition of its US$2 billion Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai into a plant for deliveries around the world, 20 months after its inauguration in December 2019.
– Carmakers based in China have avoided the worst of the global shortage of semiconductors by virtue of an early recovery in production and sales after Beijing successfully contained its Covid-19 pandemic. This allowed them to secure supply of car components earlier than their global peers.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/IcGGv/
- Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3142666/tesla-banks-shanghai-gigafactory-3-its-primary-vehicle-export?utm_source=pocket_mylist
EXELON JOINS ELECTRIC HIGHWAY COALITION; ENCOURAGES EV ADOPTION
– Exelon, a Fortune 100 energy company, announced today a commitment to join the Electric Highway Coalition, a partnership among 14 U.S. utilities to create a seamless network of rapid electric vehicle charging stations connecting major highway systems, stretching from the Atlantic Coast through the Midwest, South and into the Gulf and Central Plains regions.
– The members of the EHC have agreed to work together to ensure efficient and effective fast charging deployment plans that enable long distance EV travel, avoid duplication and complement existing corridor fast charging sites. Sites initially will be located less than 100 miles apart on major roadways. Additionally, each site will have at least two charging stations with universal vehicle compatibility and at least 100 kilowatts of output per station
SAMSUNG SDI CONFIRMS 1ST BATTERY CELL PLANT IN US
– Samsung SDI forecast the automotive chip shortage issue won’t disrupt its scheduled electric vehicle (EV) battery production, as carmakers are aggressively shifting their business strategies to sell more EVs to meet stricter environmental regulations, the battery-making arm of Samsung Group said Tuesday.
– The shortages come as chipmakers have given priority to chips for IT devices and home appliances, which have been in robust demand due to the pandemic.
– The chip shortage issue will have a limited impact on our performance as carmakers prioritize EV production to meet environmental regulations
– Son Michael, senior vice president of the company, also confirmed that it will establish a battery manufacturing plant in the United States as battery cell makers are urged to set up factories there to take advantage of tax benefits. Under the United States―Mexico―Canada Agreement (USMCA) that took effect in 2020, cars that have 75 percent North American components can avoid tariffs starting from 2025.
Original Source : https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2021/07/129_312881.html
BLINK CHARGING WILL INSTALL DOZENS OF EV CHARGERS ALONG FLORIDA HIGHWAYS
– Blink Charging Co. will create 25 electrical vehicle charging sites on major Florida highways designed to provide quick-charging opportunities along evacuation routes in the event of natural disasters.
The Miami Beach-based company (Nasdaq: BLNK) on Tuesday announced it was awarded a $12.5 million grant from the state Department of Environmental Protection to deploy those stations, which will feature a total of 52 direct current fast chargers.
– Routes 95, 75, 10 and 4. The state made $16 million available for a total of 32 proposed sites and awarded nearly 80% of those locations to Blink.
Original Source : https://www.bizjournals.com/southflorida/inno/stories/fundings/2021/07/27/blink-charging-electric-vehicle-chargers-florida.html
MERCEDES-BENZ EQS CHARGING ANALYSIS REVEALS IT’S FASTER THAN PLAID
– According to the chart, the peak charging power is almost 207 kW, which is a little bit more than in the specs (up to 200 kW).
Starting at around 4-5% SOC, power very quickly increases to the peak level and remains flat at up to over 25% SOC. Then the power decreases gently to about 115 kW at 80% SOC, which is really a very nice charging curve.
– The average power in the very important range from 20% to 80% SOC is 155 kW, which is 75% of the peak value.
Those are very good numbers, but the best thing is how consistent the charging is over the entire session:
– The net battery capacity of 107.8 kWh stands for about 94% of the total battery capacity (if our guess about 115 kWh is correct).
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/522577/mercedes-eqs-fast-charging-analysis/
EQA 250 CAUSES HEADACHES FOR MERCEDES-BENZ KOREA
– Mercedes-Benz Korea is having a major headache with its new electric vehicle (EV) called the New EQA 250, because the Korean government has yet to categorize the automobile as an EV, thus excluding prospective buyers from receiving a reduction in acquisition taxes.
– According to industry sources, the Mercedes Benz EQA EV, which was released in mid-July, has yet to be included in the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Energy’s designated EV category which was updated last month. The exclusion exempts buyers of the EQA from receiving a 1.4 million won eco-friendly vehicle tax benefit.
– To be categorized as an EV by the ministry, a vehicle needs to have a minimum 5.0km/kWh energy consumption rate for a small sedan and over 5.0km/kWh for mid to large sedans with a minimum driving range of 150km on a single charge.
Original Source : https://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2021/07/129_312739.html
ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING PRICES ‘MUST BE FAIR’ SAY MPS
– People must be protected from excessive pricing for public electric car charging, MPs have said. Charging an electric car at home is much cheaper than using public charge points.
– The government also needs to make charging infrastructure accessible and reliable, and make sure people in rural areas have equal access, the MPs added.
– Property developers should also be required to provide public charging points, and councils should make sure charging infrastructure is built, the MPs added.
– Graeme Cooper, head of future markets at National Grid, said that the energy network operator was “working with government to map out where critical grid capacity is needed to enable the faster roll out of charging points”.
Original Source : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57963912
MER PARTNERS WITH OCTOPUS ENERGY FOR NEW ROAMING PARTNERSHIP
– Electric Vehicle (EV) charging just got a little bit easier thanks to a new roaming agreement between EV charging experts Mer and green energy provider Octopus Energy.
– EV users signed up to Octopus Energy’s Electric Juice Network (EJN) can now charge at any of Mer’s 160+ nationwide rapid, ultra-rapid and fast chargers.
– The cost of the charge then goes on their monthly home energy bill, keeping all charging costs in one place.
– Mer is focused on installing EV charging points into high-usage, high-footfall locations like workplaces, public places, car parks and residential areas where people don’t have access to their own garages or driveways.
BMW INSTALLED 4,350 CHARGING POINTS TO DATE
– The BMW Group has already exceeded its 2019 target of installing around 4,100 charging points at its German locations by the end of 2021. Together with its partner Eon, around 4,350 charging points have been installed to date.
– BMW expects this number to rise to around 5,000 by the end of 2021, of which more than 1,000 will be eRoaming-capable.
– Primarily intended for employees, around half of the charging points are also accessible to the public.
– The majority of the charging points erected consist of AC wall boxes delivering up to 11kW. In addition, more than 60 DC fast-charging stations
VW-BACKED QUANTUMSCAPE TESTING A 10-LAYER SOLID-STATE BATTERY CELL
– QuantumScape Corp., an electric-vehicle battery company that went public last fall, said Tuesday it has advanced to testing 10-layer cells, a sign it’s on track in efforts to develop a commercially viable solid-state battery.
– QuantumScape, which counts Volkswagen AG as its biggest shareholder, is among a group of companies developing solid-state batteries, which could dramatically speed up EV adoption by providing a safer, cheaper alternative to current lithium-ion batteries.
– In the steps toward commercialization, QuantumScape will also have to show testing on larger battery formats, which is closer to what automakers use for mass assembly of vehicles.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/ddk7V/
- Original Source : https://www.autoblog.com/2021/07/28/quantumscape-solid-state-ev-battery-cell/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With 2877 Superchargers globally and 25000 stalls, what do you think about Tesla’s plan to open up the network to everyone?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL