If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 26thJuly. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
THE SENATE’S E-BIKE ACT COULD MAKE ELECTRIC BIKES A LOT CHEAPER
– A bill that would offer Americans a refundable tax credit on the purchase of a new electric bicycle was just introduced in the Senate by Ed Markey (D-MA) and Brian Schatz (D-HI). The bill is called the Electric Bicycle Incentive Kickstart for the Environment, or E-BIKE Act for short, and it’s the companion bill to one introduced in the House of Representatives earlier this year.
– More people should be riding e-bikes than just those who can afford them. Driving is already highly subsidized across the country. We build cheap — often free — areas for parking, we invest in highways, drivers don’t pay for congestion or CO2 emissions, and zoning laws and taxes favor sprawl. We need to start accommodating bikes — and especially e-bikes — if we want more people to switch to greener forms of transportation.
– legislation would offer Americans a refundable tax credit worth 30 percent of a new e-bike’s purchase price, capped at $1,500
Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/24/22590792/ebike-act-senate-brian-schatz-tax-credit-infrastructure
TESLA REPORTEDLY RESUMES MODEL S PLAID AND LONG RANGE DELIVERIES
– Tesla has reportedly resumed deliveries of the Model S Plaid and Long Range variants just days after reports of a hold were rumored to be delaying customer deliveries of the automaker’s flagship sedan. Several days ago, numerous Model S reservation holders were told Tesla would deliver their vehicles at a later time.
– Several sources indicate that Tesla has lifted the ban in Fremont, with reports of firmware issues being the culprit for the delayed deliveries. Teslarati contacted Tesla showrooms, and employees were unable to confirm nor deny whether the company did lift the hold, but did indicate there was a hold on the deliveries. The employees just didn’t indicate whether the hold was still active or not.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-s-plaid-long-range-deliveries-resume-hold-lifted/
TESLA SOLAR TEAM SCOUR SOCIAL MEDIA FOR COMPLAINTS ABOUT ELON MUSK
– Tesla’s solar-power unit, Tesla Energy, asks a team of more than 20 employees to scour social media and reviews sites for customer complaints, a former employee told Insider.The person, who left the company this year and asked not to be named, said that as well as solving customers’ issues, the team tried to get customers to delete their posts.
– A separate team of nine people looked specifically for posts aimed at CEO Elon Musk, the ex-employee said. This chimes with a job ad Tesla Energy put out in January for a “Customer Support Specialist” — the advert said applicants would address “social media escalations” aimed at Musk.
– On top of resolving the customer’s issue, both employees said staff were instructed to politely ask customers to delete their social media complaints. Insider verified the identities and employment of both former employees.
Original Source : https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-solar-energy-elon-musk-complaints-social-media-panels-roof-2021-7
VW ID BUZZ GETTING THREE DIFFERENT VERSIONS
– VW wants to make sure there is an ID Buzz for everyone. The aspiring EV automaker explained that there will be three initial versions of the upcoming ID Buzz EV van targeting a host of different markets.
– The VW ID Buzz is first and foremost a spacious people mover. In Europe, VW plans to see a six-seat passenger version of the ID Buzz specifically targeting rideshare services.
– For American customers, the ID Buzz will arrive in 2024. The American ID Buzz will be a more traditional family van with seating for four passengers in the rear. Two of the rear seats will face forward while the other two will face the rear of the vehicle. Hopefully, your children or passengers are not prone to motion sickness.
-VW plans to build an ID Buzz specifically made to deliver all of the packages you keep ordering online.
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/522257/vw-id-buzz-van/
CHINA: PLUG-IN ELECTRIC CAR SALES REACH NEW RECORD IN JUNE 2021
– Plug-in electric car sales surge in China to new record levels as multiple models are selling better than ever In June, some 235,000 passenger plug-in cars were registered (new all-time record), which is probably close to 160% more than a year ago. Moreover, the market share increased to 15% and 12% are BEVs.
– So far this year, about 1.1 million passenger plug-in cars were sold, which is 11% of the total market. BEV share stands at 9%.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/522274/china-plugin-car-sales-june2021/
DETHLEFFS & ZF SET RECORD CROSSING THE ALPS WITH ELECTRIC CARAVAN
– Dethleffs had already presented the prototype of a caravan with its own electric drive in 2018, which was developed together with the Erwin Hymer Group and ZF Friedrichshafen. Now, the project partners have demonstrated the practical readiness of the concept in a challenging caravan tour across the Alps.
– From Isny, the Audi e-tron Sportback pulled the electrically powered caravan E-Home Coco all the way to Lake Garda – without a charging stop. Normally, the additional weight of the trailer and especially the increased air resistance drive up the consumption of the towing vehicle (regardless of the drive technology).
– For this journey at an average speed of 62.4 km/h, the e-tron Sportback consumed 62 kWh of energy (i.e. 21.2 kWh/100km), the e-home Coco 74 kWh (19.2 kWh/100km).
– A towing force sensor is installed in the towing device itself. This is supposed to detect whether the towing vehicle is accelerating, decelerating or rolling.
– The E-Home Coco also has a recuperation system
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/25/dethleffs-zf-set-record-crossing-the-alps-with-electric-caravan
IRISH ‘LEADING THE CHARGE’ IN PUSH FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES
– Ireland is in first place in Europe in providing charging points in service stations for electric vehicles (EVs). A survey of 19 European countries showed Ireland has the highest proportion of filling station forecourts with EV charging points – 7.46pc of the country’s filling stations have charging points installed. Denmark is in second on 5.37pc. The figure for the United Kingdom is 1.76pc, while Germany is at 1.04pc.
Original Source : https://www.independent.ie/life/motoring/car-news/irish-leading-the-charge-in-push-for-electric-vehicles-40687106.html
IN VANCOUVER, EVERY CAR SPACE IN NEW HOTELS MUST HAVE AN EV CHARGER
– The Vancouver City Council has approved new regulations that would require EV charging infrastructure be installed in all new non-residential buildings in an effort to expand access to the ever-growing population of EV drivers.
– Additionally, 100% of new car-share stalls and 100% of parking stalls in new hotels must also have EV charging infrastructure.
– Vancouver City expects the new regulations will have minimal increase on new construction costs while significantly reducing or eliminating future costs of retrofitting buildings for EV charging infrastructure.
Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2021/07/23/in-vancouver-every-car-space-in-new-hotels-must-have-an-ev-charger
TESLA MODEL S PLAID IMPRESSIONS: RE-INVENTING THE WHEEL!
– PLAID Model S is stupid fast. And is better built than ever. But that yoke tho
Original Source : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyKQ7qtTJag
SVOLT LAUNCHES PRODUCTION OF COBALT-FREE BATTERY CELLS – ELECTRIVE.COM
– SVOLT has started series production of its novel cobalt-free nickel-manganese battery cells (NMX) in Jintan, China.
– Cobalt, which is normally used in NCM cells for thermal stabilisation, is not used in the new cells. Instead, the cathode is stabilised by “specially developed doping and coating processes”. Thus, the NMX cells – even without cobalt – are said to offer a “higher thermal stability as well as overall safety than NCM811 cells”.
– From the end of 2023, the novel batteries can also be produced at the planned plant in Saarland for the European market.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/23/svolt-launches-production-of-cobalt-free-battery-cells
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With 2877 Superchargers globally and 25000 stalls, what do you think about Tesla’s plan to open up the network to everyone?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONALCARCHARGING.COM and ALOHACHARGE.COM
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL