If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 25thJuly. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
RIVIAN RAISES ANOTHER $2.5B, PUSHING ITS EV WAR CHEST UP TO $10.5B
– Rivian announced Friday that it has closed a $2.5 billion private funding round led by Amazon’s Climate Pledge Fund, D1 Capital Partners, Ford Motor and funds and accounts advised by T. Rowe Price Associates Inc.
– “As we near the start of vehicle production, it’s vital that we keep looking forward and pushing through to Rivian’s next phase of growth,” Rivian CEO RJ Scaringe said in a statement. “This infusion of funds from trusted partners allows Rivian to scale new vehicle programs, expand our domestic facility footprint, and fuel international product rollout.”
– Rivian has raised roughly $10.5 billion to date. The company did not share a post-money valuation.
RIVIAN RAISES $2.5 BILLION IN NEW FUNDING ROUND LED BY AMAZON, FORD
– The company said it has raised about $10.5 billion to date. Rivian closed a $2.65 billion investment round in January and another $2.5 billion round last July. It raised $1.3 billion in December 2019 and at least $1.5 billion before that.
– The funding announcement comes after Rivian on Thursday said it plans to open a second manufacturing plant in the U.S. Multiple U.S. states have submitted bids for the facility, referred to internally as “Project Tera.” Rivian is slated to announce the plant in the coming months and break ground early next year, Reuters reported, citing sources familiar with the situation.
VOLKSWAGEN EXPECTS CHINA EV SALES TO SOAR IN H2
– Volkswagen expects sales of its ID series of electric vehicles in China — the world’s largest car market — to pick up significantly in the second half of the year, Chief Executive Herbert Diess said on Thursday.
– Volkswagen wants to sell between 80,000 and 100,000 of the series in China,
– In the first half, deliveries of battery electric vehicles (BEV) in China more than doubled to 18,285
TESLA POWERWALL OWNERS IN CA CAN FEED ENERGY BACK INTO GRID
– Tesla will let Californian owners of its Powerwall battery feed electricity back into the power grid during periods of high energy demand to prevent blackouts in the state.
– Tesla announced its plan to create a “virtual power plant” last week, and on Thursday launched a support page for the beta test telling Californians how it would work and where they can sign up.
– participants who opt in will receive a push notification on their phone a few hours before a period of high demand. They’ll receive another notification as it begins, but won’t need to do anything.
– Tesla Virtual Power Plant is a public good program to support the California grid, and there is no compensation for Tesla or customers,” the company said, although it added that customers getting paid for their energy was a “possibility in the future.”
TESLA MODEL S STEERING YOKE IS MANDATORY
– Tesla CEO Elon Musk tweeted Friday, which was reported on by Electrek. That’s right; there will be no option for a regular wheel,
– We also suspect that retrofitting one from an earlier S or X will be difficult, if not impossible.
– either deal with the weird and nonsensical steering wheel or go and buy a Porsche Taycan
Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-model-s-steering-yoke-mandatory
MOBILE ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING ROLLS OUT IN MOSCOW
– Electric vehicles (EV) charger manufactuer L-Charge has rolled out a mobile service on the streets of Moscow to provide on-demand charging.
There are also plans to deploy similar mobile units in Paris, Berlin, New York, Amsterdam and London.
– The company said there are already a number of companies in the world offering the opportunity to summon an electric car charger, but the chargers all operate on the power bank principle and themselves need to be recharged. It claims its service differs in that it is a mobile mini power station which itself generates energy, stores it and enables other vehicles to recharge without needing to be connected to the grid.
– The energy is generated from liquefied natural gas
– Moscow has already implemented the list of measures aimed at supporting EV development, making parking for EVs free-of-charge, as well as providing free charging at public chargers.
A THOUSAND CHARGING STATIONS TO BE INSTALLED AT UBS ARENA
– Charging stations for electric vehicles are set to arrive in Elmont this fall with the opening of the UBS Arena at Belmont Park
– In March, UBS Arena developers partnered with Boston, Mass.-based XL Fleet to build 1,000 electric vehicle charging stations at the site and deploy fleets of electric vehicles for use by New York Islanders fans and concert-goers attending events at the new 19,000-seat arena. It will be one of the largest electric vehicle stations in the United States, and will help meet New York’s growing demand for electric vehicle charging stations.
THE FIRST BATCH OF NIO ES8 REACHES NORWAY
– NIO announced that the first batch of NIO ES8 cars were shipped from Shanghai to Norway on July 20, which opens a new chapter in the company’s history. Customer deliveries of the ES8 SUVs are expected to commence in September.
– NIO’s electric cars in Norway will be accompanied by the entire package of services, including NIO House, the chargeable, swappable and upgradable NIO Power system, NIO Service and Delivery Center, as well as NIO App and NIO Life.
– BYD will start sales of its electric cars (BYD Tang EV) in Norway, while the Xpeng and SAIC’s MG are already there.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/521823/first-nio-es8-reached-norway/
NEW AUDI RS Q E-TRON IS 671BHP RANGE-EXTENDER DAKAR WEAPON
– Audi will enter the notorious Dakar Rally in January 2022 with its all-new RS Q E-tron rally-raider, which it refers to as an “electrifying high-tech test laboratory”.
– With up to 500 miles to cover every day for two weeks, the RS Q E-tron needs to have an onboard charging solution, for which Audi has chosen the 2.0-litre turbocharged petrol engine used in its now-retired RS5 DTM racer, which is unconnected to the wheels and serves as a generator for a 50kWh, 370kg battery pack, developed with an unnamed technical partner.
– The petrol engine will spin at “particularly efficient” speeds of between 4500-6000rpm
– An electric motor taken from Audi’s 2021 Formula E car, features on each axle, while a third unit serves as an energy converter between the battery and combustion engine.
GM ISSUES 2ND BOLT RECALL
– General Motors is recalling some older Chevrolet Bolts for a second time to fix persistent battery problems that can set the electric cars ablaze.
– Until repairs are done, GM says owners should park the cars outdoors, limit charging to 90% of battery capacity, and not deplete batteries below 70 miles of range.
– The second recall comes after two Bolts that had been fixed under a previous recall caught fire, one in Vermont and the other in New Jersey It covers about 69,000 Bolts worldwide from 2017, 2018 and part of the 2019 model year. All have batteries made by LG Chem in South Korea
– GM says in a statement Friday that the faulty Bolt batteries can have two rare manufacturing defects in the same cell at the same time. So GM will now replace any defective battery modules and possibly the whole battery pack.
– Spokesman Dan Flores says engineers are still working around the clock on how to find the battery defect and what the repairs will be.
– 2019 Bolts and those from the 2020 and 2021 model years are not affected. Their batteries were made by LG in Holland, Michigan.
LOOKING TO BUY A TESLA CAR? YOU MAY WANT TO PRICE INSURANCE FIRST
– When drivers upgrade their cars, they often forget that insurance costs may also rise. Insurance on luxury vehicles often costs more than less expensive counterparts. However, the safety features on these cars may help offset some of the factors that drive up insurance prices, including the vehicles’ higher prices and increased repair costs.
– If you’re contemplating an electric vehicle, you will save money on gas and can also qualify for federal income tax credits plus rebates of up to $7,500, according to FuelEconomy.gov.
– BMWs cost slightly less to insure, with the exception of the Tesla Model 3 Performance model. The Tesla Model 3 Performance edges out the BMW M340i and the BMW 330e plug-in hybrid on insurance costs. The Model 3 Performance costs $2,307 annually to insure, compared to $2,749 for the BMW M3.
– As we get into the higher-end models from these manufacturers, however, BMW beats out Tesla on insurance costs.
– Also, many factors go into calculating insurance, including the driver’s claims and driving records, the driver’s credit history and the safety features on the vehicle.
Original Source : https://finance.yahoo.com/news/looking-buy-tesla-car-may-163254052.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With chargers still being rolled out, should they automatically stop charging (and should the car release the cable) at 80%?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL