If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 23rd July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
MERCEDES PLANS TO GO ALL-ELECTRIC BY THE END OF THE DECADE
– Daimler said Thursday that its Mercedes-Benz brand would “be ready to go all electric at the end of the decade, where market conditions allow.”
– from 2025 all of Mercedes-Benz’ “newly launched vehicle architectures will be electric-only.”
– Daimler explained how it planned to launch three pure-electric architectures that year: MB.EA, which will relate to medium and large passenger cars; AMG.EA, which will focus on performance vehicles; and VAN.EA, for light commercial vehicles and vans. Models based on these platforms will be electric only.
– From 2025 onward, consumers will also have the option of purchasing an “all-electric alternative for every model the company makes.”
– “In total, investments into battery electric vehicles between 2022 and 2030 will amount to over 40 billion euros.”
Original Source : https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/22/mercedes-plans-to-go-all-electric-by-the-end-of-the-decade.html
MERCEDES ACCELERATES ELECTRIC SHIFT WITH $47 BILLION PUSH
– Mercedes is betting the luxury segment will shift faster toward battery cars than the mass market because of customers’ greater purchasing power.
– The company didn’t give a concrete date for when it will phase out combustion engines, saying the pace of the shift toward EVs will vary widely across regions. It pledged to be ready to go all-electric by the end of the decade where conditions allow.
– It’s flanking the EQS with models including the compact EQA and plans to unveil the electric version of its bestselling E-Class sedan at the Munich auto show in September.
– Mercedes said it expects plug-in hybrid and fully electric cars to account for more than half of global car sales by 2025, five years sooner than the company forecast months ago. By 2039, it aims to turn its new-car fleet carbon-neutral.
Original Source : https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-22/mercedes-vows-to-be-ready-for-car-markets-going-electric-only
MERCEDES-BENZ TO BUILD EIGHT BATTERY FACTORIES
– “We have a very clear plan to rapidly scale BEVs; we want to get on this journey to a BEV (battery electric) only world,” Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz AG CEO Ola Källenius said during a media call after the announcement. “We want to be the people that make that happen, not just let it happen for us and go with the flow, but really taking initiative. And we believe also that the luxury segment, where we belong, has all the hallmarks of being a leading segment for this transition.”
– Thursday it acquired U.K.-based electric motor company YASA, and has determined it will need battery capacity of more than 200 gigawatt hours. To hit meet those needs, Mercedes plans to set up eight battery factories with existing partners and one new partner to produce cells.
– The new plants, which includes one in the United States, four in Europe and three in China, is on top of the company’s already planned network of nine factories that will be dedicated to building battery systems.
– The company said it will team up with new European partners to develop and efficiently produce future cells and modules.
– Mercedes said it has partnered with Sila Nano, the Silicon Valley battery materials startup that raised $590 million earlier this year, to help it improve its next generation of batteries. Specifically, Sila Nano is helping Mercedes increase energy density by using silicon-carbon composite in the anode, which should boost range and allow for shorter charging times. Mercedes is also looking into solid-state battery technology.
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/22/mercedes-benz-to-build-eight-battery-factories-in-push-to-become-electric-only-automaker-by-2030
ELECTRIC MERCEDES-BENZ G-CLASS LAUNCHES IN 2024
– Mercedes-Benz will launch a battery-electric version of the iconic G-Class in 2024, the automaker said on Thursday. Confirmation of the electric G-Class, which could go by the name EQG, was made during a presentation outlining Mercedes’ plans to transition to a full-electric brand by 2030.
– The big and blocky G-Class will require a substantial kilowatt-hour rating and Mercedes may want to wait until battery technology improves. It isn’t clear whether Mercedes will electrify the G-Class platform, or install the G-Class body on one of its electric platforms.
– if you want an electric G-Class today, there’s a company in Austria by the name of Kreisel that offers an electric conversion,
Original Source : https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1125923_electric-mercedes-benz-g-class-launches-in-2024
CHINA FRICTIONS STEER ELECTRIC AUTOMAKERS AWAY FROM RARE EARTH MAGNETS
– As tensions mount between China and the United States, automakers in the West are trying to reduce their reliance on a key driver of the electric vehicle revolution – permanent magnets, sometimes smaller than a pack of cards, that power electric engines.Most are made of rare earth metals from China.
– Now manufacturers amounting to nearly half global sales say they are limiting their use, a Reuters analysis found.
– Because some can generate a constant magnetic force, the magnets they make are known as permanent magnets.
– BMW says it has redesigned its EV technology to make up for a lack of rare earths; Renault SA (RENA.PA) has slotted its rare-earth-free Zoe model into a growing niche of small urban cars that do not need extended driving ranges.
– Over the past two decades, Western countries largely withdrew from producing rare earth metals, which involves complex processing and often noxious byproducts. Today, China’s dominance runs through the entire production chain.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/china-frictions-steer-electric-automakers-away-rare-earth-magnets-2021-07-19/
NEW YORK CITY DOT TO INSTALL 120 CURBSIDE LEVEL 2 CHARGERS
– New York City plans to install its first curbside charging stations by this October. According to The Wall Street Journal, the city’s Department of Transportation will install 100 Level 2 charging ports for public use and 20 for the city’s vehicle fleet. Public charging will reportedly cost $2.50 per hour during the day and $1 per hour overnight.
– The first of the city’s new charging stations has been installed in the Norwood section of the Bronx. The DOT has picked network operator FLO to manage the network under contract with local utility Consolidated Edison.
Original Source : https://chargedevs.com/newswire/new-york-city-dot-to-install-120-curbside-level-2-chargers/
SHELL RECHARGE IS COMING TO WAITROSE
– Shell Recharge has announced plans to build hundreds of electric vehicle charging points at Waitrose stores over the next few years. The supermarket chain specifically plans to host up to 800 charging stations at up to 100 Waitrose stores across the UK by 2025.
– the deal will see Shell Recharge equipping roughly a third of Waitrose locations with EV charging. Each location is expected to have six 22 kW and two 50 kW chargers, making a total 6,400 chargers.
– This will represent the first move from Shell Recharge into destination charging, with customers able to charge their vehicle while shopping.
Original Source : https://www.zap-map.com/shell-recharge-coming-to-waitrose/
TESLA DROPS DOWN THE RANKINGS TO ‘BELOW AVERAGE QUALITY’
– Tesla has dropped to ‘below average quality’ while three leading Chinese electric vehicle start-ups are now making ‘top-quality cars’ in their respective segments, according to a new survey, ratcheting up pressure on the global leader in the world’s largest automotive market.
– Tesla’s Model 3 ranked third in the midsize battery electric vehicle (BEV) segment, falling behind BYD Co’s Han BEV and Xpeng’s P7, according to the JD Power 2021 China New Energy Vehicle Initial Quality Study released on Thursday
– NIO’s ES6 now ranks highest in China’s luxury BEV segment, the Xpeng’s G3 is the best compact BEV while Li Auto’s Li One secured the top spot in the plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV)
Original Source : https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3142148/tesla-drops-down-rankings-below-average-quality-mainland-auto
TESLA RAISES PRICES ON MODEL 3 AND MODEL Y
– Tesla today raised prices in the US on both the Model 3 and Model Y
– Model 3 Long Range version increased by $1,000 to a new price of $49,990. The vehicle started the year at $46,990.
– Model Y Long Range version also increased by $1,000 to a new price of $53,990. The vehicle started the year at $49,990.
– Tesla increased the price of the Long Rang Model S by $5,000 in the first week of July.
– it remains to be seen if Tesla’s price adjustments have been in response to rising costs, rising demand, or some combination of both.
Original Source : https://www.thestreet.com/tesla/news/tesla-raises-prices-on-model-3-and-model-y-jul-22
TESLA PUTS NEW MODEL S DELIVERIES ON HOLD, AND IT’S UNCLEAR WHY
– Tesla Model S buyers are complaining that they can’t take delivery of their new electric vehicles as they are told that deliveries are on hold. At this point, it’s unclear why.
– Buyers who have been waiting for months for their new vehicles were told that they finally arrived at their local delivery centers, but Tesla wasn’t able to deliver them. They are being told a bunch of different excuses for them not being able to complete the delivery, but the common thread appears to be that there’s a “hold” on new Model S. Several buyers are being told that the delay is due to “new inspection standards”
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/07/23/tesla-puts-new-model-s-deliveries-on-hold/
MERCEDES CHARGING $575 PER YEAR IN GERMANY FOR 10-DEGREE REAR STEERING ON EQS
– Rear-wheel steering isn’t a new technology as it has been around for decades, with the Nissan R31 Skyline pioneering the system back in 1985. That said, Mercedes has managed to take it to a whole new level with its flagship combustion and electric cars, as the latest S-Class and EQS boast the most advanced version ever fitted to a production vehicle.
– On the EQS, the rear wheels have a standard steering angle of up to 4.5 degrees, but in other markets, it comes with an optional feature increasing the angle to 10 degrees – this advanced tech is actually standard on the US-market car, however. In the case of the EV, the turning circle drops to 10.9 meters (35.7 feet), which is mighty impressive for such a large car
– owners can activate the 10-degree rear-wheel steering post-purchase courtesy of an OTA update. It effectively means the vehicle has this feature from the get-go, but it’s blocked by the software. Unlocking it costs €489 (about $575) annually, but if you get a three-year subscription, you’ll get a €300 ($353) discount by paying only €1,169 ($1,376).
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/521960/mercedes-eqs-rear-wheel-steering
- KOREA ACCOUNTS FOR ONE-THIRD OF GLOBAL EV BATTERY MARKET IN JAN.-MAY
– Three South Korean electric vehicle battery makers accounted for a third of the global market in the first five months of the year, but their share has slightly slipped since last year in the face of toughening competition with Chinese rivals, a market research firm said.
– LG Energy Solution, Samsung SDI and SK Innovation – supplied a combined 88.4 gigawatt-hour equivalents of EV batteries in the January-May period, up from 33.6 GWh a year earlier, according to the data by SNE Research.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210721000939
100 DAYS TO SAVE THE NEXT 100 YEARS WITH CLIMATE, JOHN KERRY SAYS
– US climate envoy John Kerry has said there are 100 days to save the next 100 years as he called on China to increase the speed of its efforts to cut carbon emissions.
– In a speech at Kew Gardens in London, Mr Kerry said meeting the 1.5C limit will be impossible without China taking action, adding that the US and China had to work together to tackle the issue.
– “My friends, there is still time to put a 1.5C future back in reach but only if every major economy commits to meaningful reductions by 2030, that’s the only way to put the world on a credible track to global net zero by mid-century.“At or before Cop26 we need to see the major economies of the world not just set ambitious targets but we need to have clear plans over the next decade. We’re already seeing dramatic consequences with 1.2C of warming,” he warned, pointing to recent floods in Germany, Nigeria and Uganda, and wildfires in Australia, western US and Siberia.
Original Source : https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/climate-change-100-days-john-kerry-b946792.html
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With chargers still being rolled out, should they automatically stop charging (and should the car release the cable) at 80%?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONALCARCHARGING.COM and ALOHACHARGE.COM
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL