If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 22nd July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NEW 2021 KIA EV6 BOASTS UP TO 328 MILES OF RANGE
– Kia has confirmed more specifications for its new EV6 electric crossover, with the bespoke electric car to offer a maximum of up to 328 miles of range from a full charge. Kia EV6 prices start from £40,895, with first deliveries expected to arrive in October, while the range will consist of three trim levels of two drivetrains. Every UK model also comes as standard with the company’s long-range 77.4kWh battery, rather than the entry-level 58kWh unit offered in other markets.
– Thanks to the new E-GMP underpinnings, which features the latest 800-volt electrical architecture, the EV6 can charge from 10 to 80 per cent in just 18 minutes, while maximum DC rapid charging capability stands at 239kW. As a world first, the EV6 also has the capability to transform a power feed from a more common 400-volt rapid charger to 800 volts thanks to a clever motor and inverter set-up, allowing the EV6 to charge at its maximum capacity.
– To help boost range the EV6 features six different regenerative braking settings. This includes completely off, modes 1 to 3, ‘i-Pedal’ – which allows maximum energy harvesting and brings the car to a stop without touching the brakes, allowing one-pedal driving – and an auto setting.
– The Kia EV6’s wheelbase is 2,900mm long despite the EV6’s relatively compact dimensions, pushing the wheels close to the model’s extremities to maximise space inside.
– Boot space stands at 520 litres, rising to 1,300 litres with the rear seats folded down. There are also an additional 52 litres of storage space at the front in rear-drive models
– Kia claims that with more than 35 percent charge left in the battery, the EV6 can also tow loads weighing up to 1,600kg, which is strong for an electric car.
Original Source : https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/kia/ev6
Matthias Schmidt on Twitter:
– .@Daimler unveils details from its CO2 compliance busting new Mercedes S-Class PHEV.
EV only range ~100km
leading to lower BiK tax rate (just 7% pa in UK compared to ~37% for ICE)
CO2 average of 22-14g/km (WLTP) with a curb weight of ~2.4t
= CO2 compliance golden ticket
Original Source : https://twitter.com/auto_schmidt/status/1417819155416424452
TESLA PLANS TO OPEN ITS CHARGING NETWORK TO OTHER EVS LATER THIS YEAR
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) plans to open its network of superchargers to other electric vehicles later this year, Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk said on Twitter.The electric-car maker’s fast charging network, with over 25,000 superchargers globally, has given it a competitive edge. Meanwhile, other carmakers have formed alliances or invested in startups for networks as they rush new electric vehicle entrants to market.
– “We’re making our Supercharger network open to other EVs later this year,”
– Germany’s transport minister said last month he was trying to convince Tesla to open its charging network to other carmakers to make it easier for drivers of electric vehicles to charge.
– President Joe Biden’s administration late last month embraced a bipartisan Senate deal to spend $1.2 trillion on infrastructure projects, including $7.5 billion on electric vehicle infrastructure, including charging stations.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/tesla-plans-open-up-its-charging-network-other-evs-later-this-year-2021-07-20/
ELON MUSK: TESLA TO OPEN UP GLOBAL CHARGING NETWORK TO OTHER EVS LATER THIS YEAR
– Until now, there have never been any details about how or when the company would open up its Supercharger network of 25,000 chargers. Details are still slim. For instance, it’s unclear where it would initially open up, which automakers have reached agreements with Tesla and whether Tesla owners would get priority. However, Musk did finally attach a timeline of sorts by noting this would kick off before the end of 2021.
– Way back in 2014, Musk said he’d be willing to open up the designs in order to build a standard that can be used interchangeably across the industry.
– Tesla has its own connector, which means automakers would have to provide or sell an adapter to owners of its EVs to access the Supercharger network. It’s a different story in Europe. Tesla uses the CCS direct current connector in Europe, making this the most likely region for Tesla to open up first.
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/20/elon-musk-tesla-to-open-up-global-charging-network-to-other-evs-later-this-year/
2022 TESLA MODEL Y BEGINS RHD PRODUCTION
– Tesla has commenced right-hand drive production of the 2022 Model Y, with initial examples destined for Hong Kong.
The Model Y – which is currently produced in the United States and China – will be sourced from the company’s Shanghai plant for the Hong Kong market, where it went on sale earlier in July ahead of planned deliveries in September. With the heavily-related Model 3 now manufactured in China for the Australian market, it is likely versions of the electric SUV destined for Australia will also be sourced from China.
Original Source : https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/2022-tesla-model-y-right-hand-drive-production-hong-kong
TESLA LOWERS THE PRICE OF ITS ‘FULL SELF-DRIVING’ COMPUTER UPGRADE
– After criticism from owners, Tesla has reduced the price of a computer update required for its new “Full Self-Driving” (FSD) feature, Electrek has reported. The hardware HW 3.0 update will now cost $1,000 rather than $1,500, a 33 percent drop in price. To get the feature, owners will have to pay a monthly subscription fee of up to $199 on top of that, or $10,000 all in one shot.
– Tesla famously said in 2016 that all its EVs produced going forward would have full self-driving hardware
Original Source : https://www.engadget.com/tesla-reduces-the-price-of-its-full-self-driving-computer-upgrade-by-500-091157676.html
STELLANTIS HAS 5 YEARS TO ABSORB 40% EV COST HIKE
– The maker of Jeep and Ram has five years to absorb the roughly 40% increase in costs that electrified vehicles represent before Stellantis NV could face restructuring and job cuts, CEO Carlos Tavares said Wednesday.
– It requires billions of dollars in capital investment and new talent: Stellantis said earlier this month it will spend about $35.5 billion by 2025 on electrification.
– Tavares didn’t provide a figure for where the automaker stands on achieving the $5.9 billion in annual cost savings it projected from the merger. He, however, did say the company is ahead of its plans and could perhaps increase its expected cost savings in 2022.
– In China, it also has signed a deal with an unnamed partner to manufacture vehicles. Stellantis on Tuesday also validated an investment for solid state batteries, which it says will come to market in 2026, with an unnamed supplier.
Original Source : https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/chrysler/2021/07/21/stellantis-ceo-carlos-tavares-five-years-absorb-electric-vehicle-costs-before-job-cuts/8038712002/
LUCID MOTORS PLANS TO LAUNCH IN GERMANY IN 2022
– Lucid Motors plans to begin delivering its cars in Germany next year, as the new Country Manager Roberto Russo, confirmed to electrive. Also in 2022, the Air sedan is to arrive in other European countries too.
– Russo himself had announced on LinkedIn that he would become Lucid Motors’ Country Manager Germany with immediate effect.
– Russo, an e-mobility specialist, did not yet want to confirm exactly which versions of the Air will be offered in Europe. In 2012, he joined Tesla as sales manager for the European launch of the Model S
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/21/lucid-motors-plans-to-launch-in-germany-in-2022/
41 PERCENT OF CONSUMERS SAY THEIR NEXT CAR WILL BE ELECTRIC
– According to a new survey conducted by EY, 41 percent of consumers planning to buy a car say their next vehicle will be a plug-in. And they’re mainly making that decision because of the environmental impact.
– EY surveyed 9,000 consumers across 13 countries
– The last time the firm conducted this survey, in September 2020, just 30 percent said their next car would be either a battery EV or plug-in hybrid EV.
– . In China, for example, 48 percent say their next car will be an EV, and only 43 percent say it will have an internal combustion engine
– In South Korea, 51 percent indicate that an EV will be their next vehicle. In Singapore, 53 percent want an EV, and in Italy, a whopping 63 percent said their next vehicle would be a plug-in.
Original Source : https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/07/41-percent-of-consumers-say-their-next-car-will-be-electric
TENNESSEE TO ADD ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING IN STATE PARKS
– Tennessee officials say they are partnering on an initiative to add electric vehicle charging stations at state parks.
– The Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation says it will team up with electric vehicle automaker and automotive technology company Rivian on the project that seeks to add charging stations at all 56 state parks.
– Charging will initially be free for drivers. Any future costs for drivers will depend on systemwide use to recover electricity costs.
Original Source : https://apnews.com/article/technology-business-tennessee-b91d55b6b42704cdf6ca85b1e696d1cb
ASTON MARTIN DB11 AND VANTAGE REPLACEMENTS WILL BE ELECTRIC
– Aston Martin has flip-flopped for ages on electric cars, with promises the Rapide-E would arrive as a four-door electric Aston, and that Lagonda would be resurrected as a luxury electric brand.
– with former AMG boss Tobias Moers holding the reins, all those plans went out of the window,
– Now Moers has been talking to Automotive News Europe again, and this time he’s offering up information on Aston’s traditional sports car range – the Vantage, DB11 and DBS – and says the replacements for these cars will be full-electric models, completely bypassing any hybrid versions.
Original Source : https://www.carsuk.net/aston-martin-db11-and-vantage-replacements-will-be-electric-says-aml-boss
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With chargers still being rolled out, should they automatically stop charging (and should the car release the cable) at 80%?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONALCARCHARGING.COM and ALOHACHARGE.COM
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL