If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 20th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
EV ORDERS SURPASS ICE VEHICLES AT ZENITH
– JUNE saw orders for battery electric vehicles (BEVs) overtake internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles for the first time at independent leasing and fleet management company Zenith. The transition to BEV in cars account for 54% of orders in June compared to 32% in the same month last year. Over the Past 12 months, 41% of orders were for BEVs.
– Demand for electric vans also increased in June to account for 69% of van orders compared to 1% in June 2020. Over the last 12 months, demand for fully electric vans has built to account for almost 1 in 3 van orders.
– Zenith says that salary sacrifice is helping company car drivers to transition to BEVs. In one scheme, 85% of orders have been for BEVs, with the remaining 15% for plug-in hybrid electric vehicles. It will lead to an average saving of 372 tonnes of carbon for each year the vehicles are on the road.
Original Source : https://leasingbrokernews.co.uk/ev-orders-surpass-ice-vehicles-at-zenith
TESLA MODEL 3 IS #1 ELECTRIC CAR IN GERMANY IN JUNE, VW E-UP REMAINS 2021 LEADER
– The German plugin vehicle market scored over 64,000 registrations last month, with both plugin powertrains rising fast
– last month’s plugin share ended at 24% (12% BEV), with BEVs outselling PHEVs for the first time this year
– The yearly plugin vehicle market share climbed to 23% (11% BEV). There were 312,287 plugin vehicle registrations in the first half of the year. So, this market is firmly in The Disruption Zone and well ahead of last year’s score of 14% plugin vehicle market share. Will we see the final 2021 market share hit 25% 30%?
– Looking at last month’s best sellers, the Tesla Model 3 was the winner, hitting 4,462 deliveries, a new record for the sports sedan in Germany. The Tesla top seller ended ahead of the two Volkswagen frontrunners, the #2 e-Up and the #3 ID.3, which, by the way, had its best score of 2021 last month (2,448 registrations). Expect the compact Volkswagen to have a stronger second half of 2021.
– we should mention that several new models are in ramp-up mode, like the Korean Hyundai Ioniq 5, an XL retro-hatchback with a unique personality. It scored 514 registrations in only its 2nd month on the market. The Opel Mokka EV, possibly the most attractive model in the whole Opel lineup, hit a record 655 registrations last month and could be another Stellantis model to reach the table soon. There’s also the Opel Corsa EV and Fiat 500e.
Original Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2021/07/18/tesla-model-3-is-1-electric-car-in-germany-in-june-vw-e-up-remains-2021-leader/
NYPD BUYS $47K TESLA MODEL 3 FOR HIGHWAY PATROL DIVISION
– The NYPD has added a new eco-friendly ride to its fleet: a Tesla Model 3, The Post has learned.
– The luxury electric vehicle — which came with a $47,740 price tag — will be used by the department’s highway patrol division, city records show.
– The department, which acquired the ride last month, said the long-range version of the car “is optimized for police highway patrol operations,” according to the procurement papers.
– Other police departments have also bought Teslas and say they expect thousands of dollars in savings on gas.
– In December, when Hastings-On-Hudson unveiled its new electric patrol car, the department just north of the Big Apple told News12 it would save $8,500 in fuel within five years.
Original Source : https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nypd-buys-47k-tesla-model-3-for-highway-patrol-division
MODEL 3 POLICE CRUISER SAVE TENS OF THOUSANDS
– The purchase premium is recouped in one year.
After four years, the savings are enough to pay for another Tesla.
One EV saves 23.5 tons of CO2 emissions annually.
– Using a Tesla Model 3 for police duty was a new idea back in Dec. 2019 when the Westport Police acquired one for use as a fully customized police cruiser, going into service in Feb. 2020. This was the second Model 3 to be acquired by a police force (Bargersville, IN was the first), but according to the Westport Police, this was the first one to be fully tricked out for law enforcement.
– The biggest single item in the customization is the license plate reader, and it is here that there was a savings of $10,000 ($8,000 vs $18,000) due to taking advantage of the technology native to the Tesla. As far as Pilot discounts, there was no charge for added cameras, lights, siren, and the weapons rack. These discounts amounted to just over $14,000.
– There are two items that applied only to the Tesla. One is a spare tire for $800. (The Ford comes with a spare.) The other is a charging station at a cost of $1000 for hardware and installation.
– The department is getting two shifts per day on a single charge and charging the vehicle overnight. This is assumed to be the usage pattern of future Teslas, so the conservative assumption on charging is that the charging equipment expense will be required for each Tesla procured and it is included in the Next vehicle. There could potentially be a savings opportunity in the future with a dual-port charger.
– The costs were calculated based on driving 23,060 miles in a year.
Original Source : https://evclubct.com/tesla-police-vehicle-saves-westport-tens-of-thousands-of-dollars/
ELECTRIC MERCEDES G-CLASS COULD COME TO IAA MUNICH AS EQG CONCEPT
– A new report from German magazine mbpassionblog claims we will get a first taste of the silent G-Class in early September at the IAA in Munich. It is believed an EQG concept will be unveiled at the show to preview the production model arriving either next year or in 2023. Confirmed technical specifications are not available at this point, but it’s safe to assume it will have dual electric motors to enable a four-wheel-drive system everyone expects from a G.
– EQG won’t be a dedicated electric vehicle as it’s the case with the flagship EQS and the upcoming EQE, with both getting SUV versions in 2022. Instead, the EQG is believed to take the shape of an electric adaptation of the combustion-engined G-Class. It’s said to have all the off-road tricks of the conventionally powered model along with a large 108-kWh battery with enough juice for about 311 miles (500 kilometers) of range
Original Source : https://www.motor1.com/news/521003/mercedes-eqg-iaa-munich-2021/
LIGHTYEAR ONE WILL BE MANUFACTURED BY VALMET AUTOMOTIVE
– Valmet Automotive, a manufacturing contractor who also delivered the Fisker Karma, the original Porsche Boxter and Cayman, and multiple Saab and Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Valmet Automotive will now be in charge of producing the Lightyear One, as the two companies announced.
– the Lightyear One, it is the electric car with substantial solar panels over its body that managed to run 710 km with a fully charged 60 kWh battery pack. That will make it one of the most efficient electric vehicles around when deliveries start. Valmet Automotive should start producing it in summer 2022. The first prototypes should be built in January 2022.
– 11.8 km/kWh – or 7.3 mi/kWh,
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/lightyear-one-will-be-manufactured-by-valmet-automotive-from-summer-2022-on-165535.html
REBOOTED SMART TO PREVIEW ELECTRIC CROSSOVER AT 2021 MUNICH AUTO SHOW
– A rejuvenated Smart will use the inaugural international mobility show taking place in Munich, Germany, in September to present a concept car previewing an upcoming electric crossover.
– over the weekend Mercedes-Benz’s design chief, Gorden Wagener, who is leading the design of a future battery-electric Smart lineup, posted new teaser photos to social media.
– Expect the production version of the concept to be a subcompact model similar in size to the Mini Countryman. Smart will also continue to offer a new generation of its traditional minicars.
– The new Munich mobility show, which has replaced Germany’s traditional auto show in Frankfurt, starts Sept. 6.
Original Source : https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1132301_rebooted-smart-to-preview-electric-crossover-2021-munich-auto-show
VW TO MAKE EV BATTERIES WITH CHINA’S GUOXUAN IN GERMANY
– In May 2020, VW announced the acquisition of a 26% stake in Guoxuan, China’s third-largest EV battery maker after Contemporary Amperex Technology and BYD.
– The German auto group will build its second EV battery plant in Salzgitter in a joint effort with Guoxuan High-tech to produce low-cost batteries for economy EVs, the company said in a statement on last Tuesday.
Original Source : https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Automobiles/VW-to-make-EV-batteries-with-China-s-Guoxuan-in-Germany
TESLA’S GROHMANN FACILITY EXPANSION IN GERMANY IS NEARING COMPLETION
– The Tesla Grohmann facility has been undergoing a massive expansion over the past few months. And in true Tesla fashion, the progress of the Prüm site’s buildout has been nothing but quick.
– Recent videos of the Tesla Grohmann Automation site taken this June suggests that the facility is now nearing completion. Based on footage of the facility, the exterior of the new Tesla Grohmann Automation facility is all but finished, with walls and windows already set in place.
– Considering that Tesla Grohmann Automation is responsible for the production of machines that the company uses to manufacture key components of its vehicles, the upcoming facility in the Prüm site would likely be very busy in the near future. This would likely be the case, especially as factories like Gigafactory Berlin and Gigafactory Texas begin their operations.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-grohmann-expansion-germany-completion-update/
ELECTRIFY AMERICA COMPLIMENTARY CHARGING TO VOLVO
– Electrify America today announced an agreement with Volvo to provide drivers of the all-electric XC40 Recharge and upcoming C40 Recharge with 250 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of complimentary charging on the nation’s largest open ultra-fast DC charging network.As the 2022 Volvo XC40 and C40 Recharge arrive at showrooms soon, owners will feel confident knowing they have seamless, ultra-fast charging readily available at more than 635 public Electrify America stations and over 2,700 individual ultra-fast chargers coast-to-coast.
– As part of the collaboration, Volvo and Electrify America engineers worked closely together at Electrify America’s Center of Excellence technology lab to ensure quality charging experiences for Volvo drivers.
Original Source : https://electriccarsreport.com/2021/07/electrify-america-to-provide-complimentary-nationwide-fast-charging-to-volvo-xc40-recharge-and-c40-recharge-owners/
TESLA MODEL 3 LR 82 KWH: NEW RECORD IN BJØRN’S 1,000 KM CHALLENGE
– In the latest 1,000 Km challenge, Bjørn Nyland tested the 2021 Tesla Model 3 Long Range AWD (made in California) with an 82 kWh battery (Panasonic cells), which recently was also range tested and analyzed in terms of fast charging capabilities.
As it turns out, this version is the fastest electric car ever tested by Bjørn Nyland over 1,000 km (622 miles) – better even than the Audi e-tron GT (9 hours and 35 minutes).
– 9 hours and 20 minutes, which is the new record.
– Charging: after 400 km (249 miles) at a Tesla Supercharger (V3)
Charging: after 569 km (354 miles) at a non-Tesla charger (IONITY)
Charging: after 735 km (457 miles) at a non-Tesla charger
Charging: after 868 km (539 miles) at a non-Tesla charger (IONITY)
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/521066/tesla-model3-lr-record-1000km/
BENELUX COUNTRIES TO ENSURE CHARGING ACROSS BORDERS
– To promote cross-border electric driving and charging, Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg (so-called Benelux countries) have established the joint service IDRO (Benelux ID Registration Organisation). IDRO is supposed to help ensure that national borders are not an obstacle to charging.
– IDRO is to issue unique ID codes for charging station operators and mobility service providers in the Benelux countries and subsequently manage them. Based on these codes, operators and providers should be able to determine which card was used when for a specific charging process in order to send the corresponding invoice to the right customer.
– As François Bausch, deputy prime minister of Luxembourg and minister for mobility and public works, says that it is crucial that all charging cards are accepted across Europe.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/18/benelux-countries-to-ensure-charging-across-borders/
SINGAPORE LOOKS TO POWER UP ELECTRIC VEHICLE CHARGING NETWORK
– Singapore is powering up efforts to expand its charging network for electric vehicles (EVs) with offers to co-fund installation costs of such systems in private residences across the island. These grants will offset up to SG$4,000 ($2,959) per charger and for 2,000 EV chargers.
– The EV Common Charger Grant aims to drive the country’s goal of rolling out 60,000 charging points in the next 10 years, including 20,000 in private premises and 40,000 in public carparks.
– Applicants of the grant can be either EV charging operators or owners of the non-landed property, such as the management corporation of a strata-titled development.
– LTA added that only systems with smart charging functions, which facilitated the monitoring of power consumption and reactive adjustments to the rate of charging, would be approved for the grants.
Original Source : https://www.zdnet.com/article/singapore-looks-to-power-up-electric-vehicle-charging-network/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
With chargers still being rolled out, should they automatically stop charging (and should the car release the cable) at 80%?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONALCARCHARGING.COM and ALOHACHARGE.COM
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL