If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 16th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Herbert Diess on Twitter: “.@VWGroup is ready: In 2030, the share of e-cars in our EU new car fleet will be around 60 percent. In Germany, it will probably be as high as 75 percent. By 2030, e-mobility will be dominant in all EU member states! #Fitfor55”
Original Source : https://twitter.com/Herbert_Diess/status/1415336058708013058
VOLKSWAGEN ID.8 LARGER ELECTRIC SUV ANNOUNCED
– Volkswagen has made several big announcements about its future, its strategy and the vehicles it plans to launch. The biggest announcement has to be that the automaker is working on and planning to launch an even larger electric crossover called ID.8, which will be about the size of today’s Atlas model (sold in North America and China). It may also be a three-row vehicle.
– We expect the ID.8 will also get the MEB platform that all other ID-badged models ride on.
HERE’S HOW FORD GOT F-150 LIGHTNING EV PRICING SO CLOSE TO THE GASOLINE TRUCK
– The single most shocking thing about the 2022 Ford F-150 Lightning when it was revealed was the price. A base Pro starts at just $39,974. The XLT starts at $52,974, and a fully-loaded Platinum at $90,474. What’s so surprising about those prices is how close Ford is flirting with gasoline-engine F-150 price equivalents — and that’s before consumers take advantage of federal and state tax incentives.
– The Chicago Auto Show was our first chance at seeing it up close and in-person. While oogling it around the stand, we caught up with Darren Palmer, general manager of Ford’s Battery Electric Vehicles division, to find out how Ford managed its pricing. The answer is largely a simple one — scale.
– the top half of this truck has a scale of 4 million units. That seat, we buy 4 million of. We get the best price in the industry. The front trunk, apart from the unique components, the whole rest of the truck, we get 4 million units.”
– “The frame at the bottom is all-new with all-new suspension, but it’s through the same supplier who makes our other frames,” Palmer says. “And they’ve got the facility, so we work with them to produce the all-new frame, but at a reasonable price point, given the fact they build a million frames for us.”
– “The next-generation of SUVs coming, the larger trucks, and the SK Innovation batteries. So we get great scale, and we share the components and technology in them, which means we get great value in the electric system.”
– He went on to assure us that Ford will indeed be making a profit on the Lightning.
HYUNDAI EV SALES SURGE IN JUNE 2021 THANKS TO IONIQ 5
– Hyundai reports a 4.9% decrease of its global car sales to 141,864 in June (on a manufacturer level), but the plug-in segment accelerated to new record levels.
– The company sold 10,912 plug-ins (up 28% year-over-year), which translated to a new record share of 7.7%. More importantly, all-electric car sales went up 33% to almost 10,000.
– So far this year, Hyundai reports sales of 43,829 plug-in car sales (up 12% year-over-year), which represents 5.2% of the total volume.
Sales by powertrain type year-to-date:
BEVs: 36,108 (up 3.7%)
– The growth in the plug-in segment is directly related to the introduction of the Hyundai Ioniq 5. In June, Hyundai sold 8,122 Ioniq 5, which is 74% of all plug-ins.
– Hyundai Ioniq 5 noted 3,667 units in its home market, while the remaining 4,455 were exported.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/520363/hyundai-ev-sales-june-2021/
U.S. URGES 50,000 CHEVY BOLT OWNERS TO PARK OUTSIDE BECAUSE OF FIRE RISKS
– U.S. auto safety regulators on Wednesday urged about 50,000 owners of General Motors electric Chevrolet Bolt vehicles that were recalled last year to park outside and away from homes and other structures after charging because of fire risks.
– GM made the same recommendation and added owners should not leave vehicles charging overnight. The recommendation was prompted after the largest U.S. automaker said it was investigating reports of two recent fires in vehicles that were recalled in November for fire risks.
– In April, GM also announced a software update and said dealers would use “diagnostic tools to identify potential battery anomalies and replace battery module assemblies as necessary.”
MANY 600 MILE ELECTRIC CARS IN 2025 SAYS IDTECHEX
– Here come 600-mile electric cars and they will grab market share even as city cars. At last, you will be able to buy a car that lets you vacation in it wherever you wish. The detail is in the new IDTechEx report, “Routes to 1000 Mile (1600km) Battery Electric Cars 2021-2041”.
– Raghu Das, CEO of analysts IDTechEx says it is actually a swarm of advances.”We find that better thermal management has a long way to go in improving range and we believe that just improving battery software will boost range by 10%. It is possible to go far beyond the simplification of the die castings coming in the Tesla cars replacing up to 360 parts. Quite separately, in-mold electronics will replace up to 100 parts at a time and in-wheel motors replace gearing, differential, and axles.”
– 600-mile cars will be the antidote to range anxiety and more. For example, IDTechEx finds that it sharply increases resale value and useful life (less battery cycling and fast charging aging the battery). Selling electricity vehicle-to-grid is no longer a silly idea when you have some miles to spare.
– Das concludes, “The UK is a small country yet Ford’s 2021 Go Electric opinion survey showed that UK car buyers are still uncomfortable with the idea of swapping their fossil-fuelled vehicles for an EV. Most severely, from rural areas that was 82%, villages 76%, smaller towns 79%. Overall, a large proportion of drivers said they still think range is a big issue. Ford discovered that the average range that UK consumers think a battery-electric car can travel is 149 miles.
VOLKSWAGEN FIRST AUTOMAKER TO USE MAJORITY LNG CARRIERS FOR OVERSEAS TRANSPORT
– Volkswagen (VW) continue to pioneer international automotive transport by becoming the first automaker to transport the majority of its new vehicles overseas using low emission liquefied natural gas (LNG) ships. By 2023 the group is expecting to see four more LNG-powered ships with dual-fuel engines added to its current fleet of two LNG car carriers, which entered service in 2020. Six of the nine car carriers crossing the North Atlantic for VW are to be powered by LNG.
– As one of the first car manufacturers to subscribe to the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement that aim to limited global warming to significantly less than two degrees by 2050, the use of LNG will enable VW to cut carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions in its fleet by up to 25% (tank-to-wake).
– Following the switching of all rail transport with Deutsche Bahn to green electricity, the Group has caused an 85% reduction in CO2 emissions through its two biofuel-powered car carriers that operate along coastal routes in Europe.
– The new ships will also permit the use of non-fossil fuels in the future, thus reducing CO2 emissions even further
– The ships are being built in China and have a capacity of around 7,000 car equivalent units
– Retrofitting with battery cells will also be possible for two of the new ships, with all four LNG ships being equipped with shore power connections to ensure all local emissions in ports providing this facility can be eliminated.
Original Source : https://www.gasworld.com/volkswagen-first-automaker-to-use-majority-lng-carriers-for-overseas-transport/2021287.article
LUCID MOTORS SUPPORT CALLED LUCID CARE
– More news from Lucid Motors after CEO Peter Rawlinson held a shareholder call on Tuesday after the closing bell. The electric vehicle maker unveiled its Lucid Care program, which will provide drivers with support 24 hours per day, seven days per week, and 365 days per year. Lucid will provide on demand servicing and support no matter where you are, and its trained technicians can come provide routine service to you at your home or office. Like Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA), Lucid is also providing over the air software upgrades to provide the vehicles with the latest security and performance updates.
Original Source : https://www.fxstreet.com/news/cciv-stock-price-lucid-motors-churchill-capital-iv-drops-below-key-moving-averages-202107151117
– In addition to announcing the perks associated with the Lucid Care service program, the company has shared details of its New Vehicle Limited Warranty. Here’s what you future owners can expect:
Basic Vehicle: 4 years/50,000 miles
Powertrain: 8 years/100,000 miles
High-voltage battery: 8 years/100,000 miles to 70% capacity
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/07/14/lucid-motors-introduces-lucid-care-service-program-alongside-vehicle-warranty-details/?utm_source=pocket_mylist
GM’S ALL-NEW BAOJUN KIWI EV DRIVING RANGE ANNOUNCED
– SAIC-GM-Wuling has just officially announced the driving range of the fully electric KiWi EV.
– General Motors’ second joint venture in China stated that the new Baojun KiWi EV includes a state-of-the-art battery pack with multiple enhancements that make daily use easier, offering a class-leading range of 305 kilometers or about 190 miles. As such, the KiWi EV maintains exactly the same range as the Baojun E300 Plus.
– Another new feature of the KiWi EV is a built-in 220V power supply that can not only provide emergency charging and rescue, but also meet the external power demand of kitchens and other electrical equipment.
– rear axle-mounted electric motor producing 54 horsepower (40 kW)
FUTURE CARS: 2024 PORSCHE MACAN EV EXPANDS STUTTGART’S ELECTRIC LINEUP
– The second-generation Macan compact SUV will be a full battery electric vehicle, joining the Taycan in Porsche’s expanding EV lineup.
– The Macan EV will share nothing in common with its conventional-engine counterpart. It will ride on the new Premium Platform Electric (PPE) chassis architecture the company is developing not only for its own vehicles but also for all future Audi and Bentley EVs. This platform separates it from the Scalable System Platform (SSP) developed for use by the broader Volkswagen Group. PPE incorporates 800-volt technology, so the Macan EV will be able to take advantage of 350-kW fast chargers.
– Porsche intends the new EV and the present model to overlap on sales floors for an indeterminate length of time. In other words, the original version will hang around for as long as sufficient demand (and regulations) can justify its continued sale. Interestingly, we’ve heard talk about the electric Macan receiving an entirely new name to avoid potential customer confusion caused by having different vehicles with the same moniker occupying showrooms.
REVEL PLUGS INTO GRIDREWARDS™ TO HELP DECARBONIZE NYC’S ELECTRIC GRID
– The tremendous load growth associated with electric vehicle (EV) adoption coupled with variable generation from renewable power sources is expected to challenge grid stability. To support grid reliability, electric mobility companies can serve as “virtual power plants” by providing valuable real-time services to the grid. These services include “demand response” operations, where charging stations provide immediate relief to the electric grid by shedding load at a moment’s notice.
– Revel is partnering with GridRewards™, a groundbreaking virtual power plant software, to dynamically adjust the charging schedule of its electric moped fleet to enhance the resilience of New York City’s electric grid. In addition to supporting grid resilience, the partnership between Revel and GridRewardsTM is supporting a cleaner grid. The sources of power generation activated at times of highest demand, known as “peaker plants,” emit twice as much carbon dioxide per unit of electricity than regular power plants and 20 times as much nitrogen oxides.
Original Source : https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210714005753/en
MOST GERMANS REMAIN SCEPTICAL ABOUT ELECTRIC CARS
– While a majority of Germans know that climate protection requires a different kind of mobility, most of them have serious reservations about electromobility and are largely sceptical about the digitisation of traffic, according to a survey conducted by the Allensbach Institute (IfD) on behalf of Germany’s National Academy of Science and Engineering (acatech).
– The Mobility Monitor 2021 report found that 24 percent of the population would consider purchasing an electric car and 31 percent a hybrid vehicle.
– Several factors continue to deter a large majority of potential car buyers, however: purchasing costs (69%), range (67%), a perceived lack of charging stations (66%), long charging times (60%)
DUCATI ANNOUNCES FIRST FOLDING MAGNESIUM E-BIKE
– Ducati presents MG-20, the first folding e-bike in magnesium in the Ducati Urban e-Mobility line, developed under license by MT Distribution.
– Frame, forks and rims are made of magnesium, a material that ensures lightness and solidity, thus providing maximum performance without affecting impact resistance.
– The e-bike is equipped with a 250W rear motor capable of recognizing the road conditions, the slope and the force used in pedalling, providing the appropriate level of assistance depending on the riding mode selected. The 36V 10.5Ah 378Wh SAMSUNG battery is integrated into the frame and can be pulled out for more convenient charging. A full charge allows to travel up to 50 km, at a maximum speed of 25km/h, as per regulations.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s your ideal stop time on a long distance road trip? Whether you’re driving an EV or not, how long would you usually be stationary? Let’s find out how far away we are from EVs being a non-issue for extended driving.
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL