If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 15th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
EU PROPOSES EFFECTIVE BAN ON NEW FOSSIL-FUEL CAR SALES FROM 2035
– The European Union on Wednesday proposed an effective ban on the sale of new petrol and diesel cars as of 2035 which, as part of a broad climate package, will accelerate a switch to zero-emission electric vehicles (EVs).
– The EU executive, the European Commission, proposed a 55% cut in CO2 emissions from cars by 2030 versus 2021 levels, much higher than the existing target of a 37.5% reduction in CO2 emissions by that time. The Commission also proposed a 100% cut in CO2 emissions by 2035, which would make it impossible to sell new fossil-fuel-powered vehicles in the 27-country bloc.
– In order to boost sales EV sales, Brussels also proposed legislation that would require countries to install public charging points along major roads with a maximum distance of 60 kilometres (37.3 miles) between them by 2025.
EU ENTERS BATTLE OVER ITS GREEN REVOLUTION
– The myriad proposals include an effective ban on the sale of new petrol-driven cars from 2035, one of the boldest moves against gas-guzzlers ever, and one that has already raised concerns in Paris and Berlin.
– The laws will now snake their way through the EU’s legislative system amid high-stakes horse-trading in the European Parliament and among the bloc’s 27 member states, egged on by industry lobbyists and green activists.
– Environmentalists swiftly denounced the laws as not going far enough — with the European Environmental Bureau decrying a plan that was “unfit and unfair” to fight climate change effectively. One major fear is resistance from the motoring public in a continent-wide replay of the “yellow vests” protests that erupted in France when the government imposed a new fuel tax in the name of defending the environment.
EU SETS 40% RENEWABLES GOAL FOR 2030
– All Member States will contribute to this goal, and specific targets are proposed for renewable energy use in transport, heating and cooling, buildings and industry.
– President of the European Commission Ursula von der Leyen (pictured) said: “The fossil fuel economy has reached its limits. We want to leave the next generation a healthy planet as well as good jobs and growth that does not hurt our nature. The European Green Deal is our growth strategy that is moving towards a decarbonised economy. Europe was the first continent to declare to be climate neutral in 2050, and now we are the very first ones to put a concrete roadmap on the table.”
Original Source : https://renews.biz/70981/eu-sets-40-renewables-goal-for-2030
AUDI Q6 E-TRON SPOTTED TRYING OUT PORSCHE’S LATEST PLATFORM
– Audi will be launching the all-electric SUV dubbed the Q6 e-tron next year, which will slot in in between the Q4 e-tron and the large e-tron model, based on the PPE architecture of the latest Porsche Macan.
– the camouflage is as thick as ever, the lower front grille is missing altogether, and the rear end sports obviously fake taillights. Even so, it should be obvious that the Q6 takes strongly after the original e-tron. The switch to the PPE platform will enable the new SUV to have a rather long wheelbase and support charging terminals rated above 270 kW. Such features as torque vectoring, 4WS and air suspension will also be supported.
Original Source : https://www.formacar.com/en/news/view/36925.html
LG CHEM TO INVEST 10 TLN WON BY 2025 IN BATTERY MATERIALS, RENEWABLES
– LG Chem Ltd., South Korea’s leading chemical firm, said Wednesday it will invest 10 trillion won (US$8.7 billion) by 2025 to expand its battery material, renewable and bio businesses.
The chemical unit under LG Group said it will speed up its transition to an eco-friendly business portfolio by expanding partnership with major industry players through mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic investments, saying over 30 projects are currently under review.
– LG Energy Solution Ltd. said it will pour 6 trillion won into the e-mobility sector to ramp up the production capacity for major lithium-ion battery materials, including cathodes, anodes and separators, to establish a stable battery supply chain.
– LG Energy, the world’s No. 2 battery supplier, is a major supplier of batteries for nearly all major global carmakers, including Tesla, General Motors, Ford, Renault, Volvo and Volkswagen, as well as South Korea’s two largest automakers — Hyundai Motor and Kia Corp.
Original Source : https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20210714002951320
USPS SUED OVER ELECTRIC VEHICLE CONTRACT FOR DELIVERY TRUCKS
– An electric vehicle manufacturer is suing the U.S. Postal Service for what it alleges was bias in picking a company to make its latest fleet of delivery trucks. Congressional Democrats are skeptical of the contract, too. Though USPS has cast the new vehicles as a “major step forward” toward a greener future, some Democrats are saying the plan doesn’t go far enough.
– Postmaster General Louis DeJoy announced plans to finally replace the U.S. Postal Service’s fleet of gas guzzling, unairconditioned and fire-prone delivery trucks in February with great fanfare.
– According to a lawsuit filed by electric vehicle maker Workhorse, which lost the contract — worth as much as $3.1 billion — Oshkosh has never made a electric delivery vehicle.
GM CONFIRMS HIRING SUPPLIER TO BUILD FIRST ELECTRIC VANS FOR BRIGHTDROP
– General Motors will use a German parts supplier to initially build its new electric commercial van for its BrightDrop startup. The move will keep GM’s BrightDrop, a commercial van and software business, on schedule to deliver the EV600 vans to its initial customer, Fedex.
– GM plans to make the EV600s at its CAMI Assembly in Ontario, Canada, starting around November 2022. At that time, the plant will have been converted to a dedicated EV plant for “long-term large-scale BrightDrop EV600 production,” Katz said.
SECOND-HAND TESLAS CATCH ON AMONG CHINA’S YOUNG MOTORISTS
– Second-hand Teslas have emerged as a much sought after commodity in China, thanks to young drivers hoping to own a premium electric vehicle (EV) at a lower price. Motorists can save at least 50,000 yuan (US$7,731) on a made-in-Shanghai standard range Model 3 if they choose to buy a pre-owned car.
– Second-hand EVs have not always been popular among mainland Chinese consumers, but the increasing use of such cars has encouraged a growing number to seek their next vehicle in the pre-owned market.
WHY DOES THE TESLA MODEL Y EUROPEAN RELEASE EXCITE SO MANY PEOPLE?
– Tesla has updated the European calculator for the Tesla Model Y, which now indicates viable prices and anticipated delivery times in multiple countries. Tesla Model Y deliveries for Europe are expected to start in the third quarter, as Tesla has already sent out emails to reservation holders. Those European customers who previously placed an order to receive a car in 2021 will be asked to submit a refresh to stay in the queue for the current made-in-China Model Y.
– Prices vary by country, but the Model Y has a listed price of €56,990 ($67,592) for the Long Range variant in Germany, while the Performance version starts at €63,990 ($75,884).
RISING OIL PRICE MAY SPEED SHIFT TO EVS
– Rising oil prices could help speed climate action by accelerating the shift to electric vehicles, but would come at the expense of the economic recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic, according to the global energy watchdog.
– US drivers are already facing record high prices to fill up their tanks due to rising oil market prices. The price per gallon reached an all-time high of $3.14 on Monday, and analysts have warned that the price could climb to $5 a gallon. As a result, the cheaper price of running an electric vehicle may encourage more motorists to make the switch sooner than planned, boosting efforts to cut emissions from transport.
TESLA USES LFP BATTERIES FOR CHINA-MADE MODEL Y SR
– Tesla’s Standard Range Model Y has finally been approved for sales and production in China, just days after the automaker started allowing orders of the all-electric crossover in one of the company’s most important markets. The documents reveal some of the more detailed specifications of the all-electric crossover, including Tesla’s use of LFP batteries in the vehicle, the battery chemistry the automaker planned to transition its Standard Range vehicles to.
TESLA 4680 BATTERY CELL: LG & SAMSUNG PRODUCE SAMPLES
– LG Energy Solutions and Samsung SDI have both reportedly completed the first sample cells of Tesla’s 4680 battery cell as they eye a big contract from the automaker.
– Tesla’s new 4680 battery cells have the potential to be cheaper, more efficient, and, therefore, enable a longer range or smaller battery packs.
– Tesla is also partnering with current battery suppliers to deploy their own production of the new 4680 cell. Four of the world’s biggest battery suppliers, Panasonic, LG Energy Solutions, CATL, and Samsun SDI, have all announced plans to build those 4680 cells for Tesla.
– “Samsung SDI and LG Energy Solution have developed samples of cylindrical 4680 cells and are currently conducting various tests at their facilities to verify their structural integrity. Also, they have provided specifications of their 4680 cells to their vendors,”
ELON MUSK SAYS TESLA POWERWALL PRODUCTION LAGGING DUE TO CHIP SHORTAGE
– Tesla CEO Elon Musk revealed in court on Monday that demand for Tesla Powerwalls stands around 80,000 units, but the company won’t be able to make even half of that many this quarter.In the “best case,” Musk said, Tesla will produce 30,000 to 35,000 of its home backup batteries in the current quarter. He blamed the expected shortfall on chip shortages.
UNITED AIRLINES TO BUY 100, 19-SEAT ELECTRIC PLANES FROM HEART AEROSPACE | REUTERS
– United Airlines (UAL.O) said on Tuesday it would buy 100 19-seat ES-19 electric planes from Swedish start-up Heart Aerospace, as the U.S. carrier eyes battery-powered aircraft for regional routes.It is the latest in a series of such “innovation-related” announcements by United as major airlines come under pressure to cut emissions.
– Mesa would buy an additional 100 ES-19s, subject to similar requirements, which can fly customers up to 250 miles. The plane will enter service as soon as 2026.
– “With a lower cost profile you can bring back more smaller markets than were possible with the higher cost of a jet-fueled aircraft,” Mike Leskinen, president of United Airlines Ventures, said in an interview.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s your ideal stop time on a long distance road trip? Whether you’re driving an EV or not, how long would you usually be stationary? Let’s find out how far away we are from EVs being a non-issue for extended driving.
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL