If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 14th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
VW LIFTS PROFIT TARGET AS BATTERIES AND SOFTWARE BOOST SALES
– Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess is elaborating further on VW’s plans to phase out combustion engines and equip cars with software systems that enable automated driving and can be updated over the air.
– Although EVs aren’t as profitable as combustion cars now, VW expects overall parity to be reached within two to three years.
– Even as EVs take center stage, Diess has repeatedly said that software and self-driving functions will to bring about an even deeper transformation of the industry with cars becoming sophisticated connected devices
– First-half operating profit rose to 11 billion euros, ahead of pre-pandemic levels
VOLKSWAGEN GROUP PRESENTS NEW AUTO STRATEGY THROUGH 2030
– Individual mobility, based on cars, is expected to still account for 85% of the market and Volkswagen’s business.
– A robust-margin ICE business, generating strong cash-flows will finance and accelerate the shift to BEVs. A disciplined ramp-up driven by synergies from lower battery and factory costs and increasing scale is expected to improve BEV margins.
– Volkswagen has already earmarked €73 billion for future technologies from 2021 through 2025, representing 50% of total investments.
– Synergies are expected to arise in many areas: from a universal BEV product architecture to CARIAD’s global software platform, own cell and battery production at scale, all the way to a mobility platform that bundles a range of services seamlessly.
– From 2026 onwards, the Group plans to start the production of pure electric vehicles on the SSP. This next generation will be all-electric, fully digital and highly scalable. Over its lifetime, more than 40 million vehicles are projected on this basis. Like the MEB today, the SSP will be open to other auto manufacturers. To improve and speed up its mechatronics platform competencies, the Group will invest around €800 million into a new Research & Development facility in Wolfsburg, where the core of the SSP platform and its modules will be designed.
– Volkswagen Group’s automotive software company CARIAD aspires to develop the leading software platform by 2025, as one software backbone for all group cars. Currently, the entity is working on three software platforms: E 1.1 allows for upgrades and over-the-air updates of the MEB product portfolio, such as the Volkswagen ID.4, the Skoda Enyaq or the CUPRA Born. In 2023, CARIAD will release the premium software platform 1.2 (E 1.2): It will enable a variety of functions including a new unified infotainment system and over-the-air updates for Audi and Porsche vehicles. In 2025, CARIAD plans to launch a new unified, scalable software platform and end-to-end electronic architecture:
– Volkswagen Group plans to establish a controlled battery supply chain by setting up new partnerships and tackling all aspects from raw material to recycling. The goal is to create a closed loop in the battery value chain as the most sustainable and cost-effective way to build batteries.In order to reach its goal, Volkswagen Group is advancing battery competence and reducing complexity. To that extent, it is introducing one unified battery cell format with up to 50% cost reduction and up to 80% use cases by 2030. Six giga factories in Europe with a total production capacity of 240 GWh by 2030 will help to secure battery supply.The first location in Skellefteå, Sweden, will be operated by Northvolt AB. Volkswagen Group just invested an additional €500 million in its premium cell partner and works with Northvolt towards starting production in 2023.For the second location in Salzgitter, Volkswagen Group yesterday signed an agreement with Chinese cell specialist Gotion High-Tech as its technological partner for a start of production in 2025. Together, both partners will develop and industrialize the volume segment of the unified cell in the German plant.As a third location, Volkswagen Group intends to make Spain a strategic pillar of its electric campaign and is considering to establish the entire value chain of electric cars in that country.
ELECTRIFY AMERICA ANNOUNCES ITS “BOOST PLAN” TO MORE THAN DOUBLE ITS CURRENT EV CHARGING NETWORK BY END OF 2025
– Electrify America today announced its “Boost Plan” to more than double its current electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure in the United States and Canada, with plans to have more than 1,800 fast charging stations and 10,000 individual chargers installed by the end of 2025. The expansion will increase the deployment of 150 and 350 kilowatt chargers – the fastest speed available today – and help pave the way for more electric vehicles in North America.
– Electrify America will also expand its Electrify Canada charging network which began installations in 2019. Both initiatives are part of a global announcement today by the parent company Volkswagen Group to substantially increase public charging infrastructure in North America, Asia and Europe.
– The company has installed on average four stations per week since its first charging station opened a little over three years ago in May 2018. As part of the expansion, Electrify America will not only multiply its presence in established U.S. regions, but also add the states of Hawaii, North Dakota, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming and Vermont, bringing Electrify America’s network to 49 U.S. states and the District of Columbia. Building upon Electrify America’s current two cross-country and two coastal routes for cross-country travel, part of this expansion will add a new electric vehicle charging highway to the upper Midwest
– Customers will experience easy payment solutions, such as Plug & Charge for capable vehicles, to make charging convenient and simple at every station. Additionally, the company is investing in integrated battery storage solutions that reduce the impact on the grid and allows deployment of charging stations in areas where it would not previously be feasible.
40,000 CHARGING STATIONS FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES PLANNED FOR SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
– Southern California Edison announced on Monday, July 12, that it plans to exponentially increase the number of passenger car chargers installed in Southern California from about 3,000 today to more than 40,000 over the next four years. A Rosemead-based investor-owned utility that serves parts of the Los Angeles, Orange, Riverside, and San Bernardino counties, SCE offers customers to public schools, city halls, libraries, hospitals, and more. Spend $ 436 million to encourage the installation of charging ports. Shopping centers, apartments, town homes, apartments.
– SCE had approximately 5,500 charging ports in its service area at the end of 2020, counting large and medium-sized charging stations for buses, trucks and fleet vehicles, as well as passenger car charging. SCE officials estimate that more than 9,000 will be added annually under the new program.
AUDI LAUNCHES E-TRON GT IN THE US STARTING AT $99,900
– Audi is officially launching the e-tron GT electric car in the US today with a starting price of $99,900 before incentives. Now the vehicle is available in the US market as Audi opens the online configurator today. The electric car starts at $99,900, and it goes up to $139,900 before options for the RS e-tron GT.
Original Source : https://electrek.co/2021/07/13/audi-e-tron-gt-us-launch-price-options/
TESLA ANNOUNCES Q2 EARNINGS DATE
– Tesla has announced the date for their second quarter earnings report: July 26, 2021. In early July, Tesla announced record quarterly deliveries of 201,250 vehicles, up 9% from Q1. Investors will be looking for record earnings as well.
Original Source : https://www.thestreet.com/tesla/news/tesla-announces-q2-earnings-date
TESLA WILL IMPORT MODEL Y FROM CHINA AMID GERMAN PLANT DELAYS
– Tesla is expected to start European deliveries of its China-built Model Y SUVs in a few weeks.
The first vehicles will be handed over to customers in Germany in August, the German news agency dpa reported, citing an official Tesla communication. The vehicles will be exported from Tesla’s factory in Shanghai.
APPLE REPORTEDLY WANTS BATTERIES FOR THE APPLE CAR TO BE PRODUCED IN THE US
– Digitimes says Apple is insistent that battery packs for its electric vehicle will be produced inside the United States. Apple has apparently held preliminary discussions with China’s biggest battery suppliers, CATL and BYD, but it seemingly demands domestic production. Foxconn is in prime position to scoop up orders, as the key iPhone assembler plans to set up battery and EV car factories in the US soon.
TESLA’S RIVAL XPENG LAUNCHES G3I SMART SUV
– Chinese smart electric vehicle company Xpeng on July 9 launched its refreshed G3i smart SUV, equipped with the most powerful intelligent in-car operating system and the strongest autonomous driving assistance system in its class, the company said in a statement.
With delivery scheduled to begin in September this year, the new model is available within a price range of 149,800-185,800 yuan (roughly $23K-29K) post-subsidies – much less costly than the Tesla Model Y in the mainland Chinese market.
In total, XPeng said the latest G3 version has received 15 major firmware OTA upgrades since its launch in 2018, adding 55 various new functions as of March 31, 2021.
Original Source : https://pandaily.com/teslas-rival-xpeng-launches-g3i-smart-suv
FOR STARLING BANK, ELECTRIC CAR CHARGING STATIONS ARE A TACTICAL MEDIA BUY
– Starling Bank will be the first brand to do an advertising takeover of InstaVolt’s electric vehicle (EV) charging stations across the UK. It’s the first time InstaVolt has allowed a brand to advertise on its sites. Chief executive Adrian Keen tells The Drum that it’s been approached numerous times over the past year from brands looking to capitalize on the largely young, affluent and environmentally-minded audience that is using its stations every day.
– In rural locations, there might be just a couple of charging sessions per day, but at larger sites, such as those in retail parks, over 80 cars per day will plug in to a single charger. And the average time spent at a site is 35 minutes.
– Starling Bank will take over 100 chargers for three months, wrapping each charger in its branding as well as running ads on the digital screens and app.
Original Source : https://www.thedrum.com/news/2021/07/13/starling-bank-electric-car-charging-stations-are-tactical-media-buy?utm_source=pocket_mylist
CHINA’S ELECTRIC SUV OFFERING 1000KM OF RANGE
– A new medium-sized SUV is about to enter production in China, potentially offering owners 1000km of range from a single charge. If true, the 2022 GAC Aion LX will lay claim to having the longest all-electric range of any production car on sale
– GAC Motor announced the Aion LX achieved a maximum range of 904km during hot-weather testing, in which the vehicle was driven through 36-degree heat and 90 per cent humidity – suggesting the 1000km range would be possible in locations with more favourable conditions.
Original Source : https://www.drive.com.au/news/chinas-electric-suv-offering-1000km-of-range/?utm_source=pocket_mylist
GAC Aion about to start volume production of 1,000-km range AION LX – Gasgoo
– According to the carmaker, the ultra-long range is thanks to the sponge silica-based anode battery technology, which was unveiled at the 2021 GAC Tech Day in April. Using the proprietary technology, the 150kWh battery assembly onboard the Aion LX is 20% smaller by volume and 14% lighter by mass than the existing 650-km range version. Besides, the energy density of these cells is around 280Wh/kg.
Original Source : http://autonews.gasgoo.com/china_news/70018409.html
VIETNAM’S VINFAST TO LAUNCH ELECTRIC CARS IN US, EUROPE NEXT YEAR
– Vietnam’s first homegrown car manufacturer Vinfast said Monday it will launch two new electric vehicle models early next year in North America and Europe, as it pushes to enter the lucrative but crowded market.
– The company said Monday it had officially begun operations in the US, Canada, France, Germany and the Netherlands and had recruited staff and opened offices in these “key markets”.
– All the vehicles will be made in Vietnam.It aims to launch its two new electric car models — the VF e35 and VF e36 — in March 2022, the company added.
– It sold around 30,000 vehicles last year.The firm introduced its domestic electric car model — the VF e34, costing about $29,000 — in January and has received around 25,000 pre-orders, the company says.
Original Source : https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210712-vietnam-s-vinfast-to-launch-electric-cars-in-us-europe-next-year?utm_source=pocket_mylist
WITH NEW EVS COMING, HYUNDAI CANCELS IONIQ ELECTRIC
– Hyundai will not build its Ioniq electric vehicle (EV) for the 2022 model year. However, hybrid and plug-in hybrid (PHEV) versions of the Ioniq will still be available.
– The Ioniq EV has never made up a significant portion of Hyundai’s sales. The Korean automaker has several longer-range EVs currently in its lineup or set to arrive in dealerships soon.
– The Ioniq EV’s range is just 170 miles and it sells in only 13 states. But, with a full suite of driver assistance features, smooth road manners, and three years of complimentary standard maintenance, it’s a solid commuter car that fits easily into a family’s lifestyle and budget. Its $33,245 starting price, once cut by the $7,500 federal tax incentive for electric cars, makes it one of the most affordable EVs on the market.
Original Source : https://www.kbb.com/car-news/with-new-evs-coming-hyundai-cancels-ioniq-electric/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s your ideal stop time on a long distance road trip? Whether you’re driving an EV or not, how long would you usually be stationary? Let’s find out how far away we are from EVs being a non-issue for extended driving.
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL