If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 9th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
GERMAN REGION TO FINE TESLA FOR ILLEGAL CONSTRUCTION
– A German regional authority said it was preparing to fine Tesla for illegal building activity on the site of its planned new car factory near Berlin. The environment ministry for Brandenburg, the state that surrounds Berlin and in which the factory will be located, had found that Tesla had constructed tanks on the territory for which it had no authorisation, wrote Tagesspiegel newspaper, which first reported the fine. The company was banned from using the tanks it had already built, the newspaper added.
EU FINES VW AND BMW £750M FOR COLLUDING WITH DAIMLER ON FUMES
– The EU has fined Volkswagen and BMW €875m (£750m) after finding that the German carmakers colluded with another rival, the Mercedes-Benz owner Daimler, to delay emissions-cleaning technology. The European Commission said that the carmakers had “breached EU antitrust rules by colluding on technical development in the area of nitrogen oxide cleaning”.
– Volkswagen, the world’s largest manufacturer of cars, will pay €502m, a reduction of more than half the original fine because it cooperated with the investigation. BMW will pay €372m
– Daimler escaped without a fine because it had revealed the cartel to the commission.
– Daimler, BMW and Volkswagen, plus VW’s Audi and Porsche brands, exchanged information on AdBlue tank sizes, meaning they did not have to worry about competing with each other on having cleaner engines, the commission said.
TESLA MODEL Y SR MIC WITH LFP BATTERY IS NOW AVAILABLE TO ORDER
– Chinese customers can now order the Tesla Model Y Standard Range MIC (Made in China) with a starting price of 291.840 yuan (37.995 euros) before governmental incentives.
After subsidies the price drops to 276.000 yuan (35.932 euros), only 10 % higher than Tesla’s most-basic Model 3 sedan made in China.
– Considering that this should be exactly the same SR version that was recently introduced in Hong Kong, the WLTP range is 455 km.
– CATL is now supplying LFP (LiFePO4) battery cells to the two most popular Tesla models.
US: MOST OF EV BATTERY CELLS AND PACKS ARE PRODUCED DOMESTICALLY
– Over the last three years, 70% of battery cells in plug-in electric cars were produced domestically in the U.S., and this number is expected to increase significantly with multiple very large investments in new battery gigafactories (including GM-LG Chem and Ford-SK Innovation joint ventures).
In the case of battery packs, things were different, as vehicle manufacturers right from the start tried to build their own packs, or even modules. We can see foreign packs basically only in imported cars. Over the last three years, the share of domestically produced packs amounted 87%.
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/518627/us-battery-cells-packs-domestic
ENERGICA’S GIANT LEAP: NEW EMCE MOTOR PROMISES GREATER POWER AND RANGE
– Energica have announced a new electric motor, which they say offers a considerable improvement in all areas.
– The result is a claimed peak power increase to 168bhp from 134bhp, a reduction in weight of 10kg and a range increase of up to 10%. The motor is also now liquid cooled, rather than oil cooled, which Energica says delivers more consistent performance as well a subtle improvement to the handling.
Interestingly Energica say that they brought the introduction of the EMCE motor forward because of pandemic-related supply chain issues, having completed development work in just six months.
– The result is that the motor will now be standard fitment on all Energicas currently in production
USED TESLA CARS ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN BRAND NEW ONES
– A global shortage of microchips since last year has forced automakers to cut back on new car production, therefore causing prices of used cars to surge to a point where some popular models are fetching higher prices on second-hand markets than their brand new counterparts.
– A lightly used Tesla Model 3 sedan, for example, now costs an average $1,300, or 2.9 percent, more than the brand new version sold on Tesla website
– Avoiding a seven- to 11-week wait is the main motivator for people to pay a little extra on a second-hand Tesla.
NIO SUPERCHARGERS AND BATTERY SWAP STATIONS BEGIN JOURNEY TO NORWAY
– NIO’s expansion overseas has officially begun as superchargers and swap stations have begun their journey to Norway and are expected to arrive next month. According to the Chinese automaker, home chargers and superchargers will be officially available to Norwegian customers beginning in September, while the first rollout of four battery swap stations will become available before year’s end.
– In a report from CnEVPost, the first superchargers and battery swap stations from NIO have begun their journey overseas to Norway. While the superchargers and home charging ports should be available to Norwegians as early as September, the battery swap stations will take a bit longer to implement. NIO has previously explained that these swap stations have been specifically adapted to meet local climate regulations in Norway. Furthermore, NIO has already worked with the Scandinavian country to ensure its incoming battery swap stations are certified to meet the requirements for electrical and mechanical safety, structural load-bearing, and fire ratings in Norway.
PANASONIC BOSS SAYS TESLA RELATIONSHIP UNAFFECTED BY SHARE SALE
– Panasonic Corp’s new CEO on Thursday said the Japanese company’s battery supply relationship with Tesla Inc remains strong even after it sold all its shares in the U.S. electric carmaker.”The sale has not hurt the relationship with Tesla,” Yuki Kusumi said at a press roundtable, when asked whether the sale indicated that their partnership was weakening.
– Kusumi took over from Kazuhiro Tsuga in April and leads the conglomerate as it begins to profit from a decade-old partnership with Tesla that accounts for about 40% of earnings at Panasonic’s automotive business. The Japanese company this year established a test line in Japan to make a new battery cell that Tesla says will halve battery costs and help with a ramp-up in battery production.
RENAULT MEGANE ELECTRIC CONFIRMED FOR SEPTEMBER DEBUT IN MUNICH
– Less than a year after its debut as a show car, the Renault Megane eVision Concept will morph into a production model. This will happen during the 2021 IAA Munich Motor Show
– The all-electric hatchback/crossover will be the star at Renault’s stand from 6 to 12 September.
Unfortunately, the French automaker doesn’t want to go deep into details regarding the new Megane, which will actually be called the Megane E-Tech Electric.
– Renault promised it will be capable of running for about 280 miles (450 kilometers)
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you had to buy one electric car today and it was the only car you were allowed to drive for the next three years, what would you choose? And why. I’ll go first. VW ID.4 GTX
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL