If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 5th July. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
VOLKSWAGEN SHEDS BUGATTI, MAKER OF OVER-THE-TOP SPORTS CARS
– Volkswagen said Monday that it was giving up control of Bugatti, the storied automaker whose absurdly expensive hypercars are worshiped by aficionados but seemed incongruous at a company better known for economical Golfs and Passats. Bugatti, whose Chiron model starts at close to $3 million, will become part of a joint venture between Volkswagen’s Porsche unit and Rimac, a young Croatian company that has made a name for itself doing design and engineering projects for large carmakers.
– The deal undoes a major legacy of Ferdinand Piëch, who dominated Volkswagen for two decades and built the company into a global empire. Volkswagen’s purchase of Bugatti out of bankruptcy in 1998, long before it owned Porsche, was widely seen as an indulgence by Mr. Piëch with questionable business logic
– Oliver Blume, the chief executive of Porsche, acknowledged Monday that the deal removes a distraction for Volkswagen and allows the company to focus on more important tasks.
Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/05/business/volkswagen-bugatti.html
VW OFFLOADS BUGATTI TO RIMAC TO FORM NEW EV COMPANY BUGATTI-RIMAC
– The company recently unveiled the Nevera, a hypercar powered by a 120kWh battery pack and four motors to achieve a staggering 1.4MW of power, which is about 1,914 horsepower. It can go from 0 to 60 mph in 1.85 seconds and has a top speed of 258 mph. The Nevera is expected to be the fastest sports car, a spot previously held by the Bugatti Chiron’s.
– Rimac’s meteoric rise from bootstrapping in a garage in 2009 to building supercars with one of the most desirable and well-known car brands demonstrates how electric vehicles are beginning to take over the luxury and sports car market. It’s not just about doing what’s right for the environment – it’s about pioneering speed in the future of automobiles. Along with this announcement, Rimac said it would separate the development, production and supply of battery systems, drivetrains and other EV components into a new entity owned by Rimac Group called Rimac Technology, which will work independently with other global car manufacturers.
– Mate Rimac will continue to hold his 37% share in Rimac Group, with Hyundai Motor Group holding the same 12% and other investors at 27%, according to a statement from the company. Porsche recently upped its stake in Rimac from 15% to 24%, but its total ownership doesn’t give It a controlling interest in the new EV company, the companies told FT.
Original Source : https://techcrunch.com/2021/07/05/vw-offloads-bugatti-to-rimac-to-form-new-ev-company-bugatti-rimac/
TESLA MODEL 3 IS OUTRIGHT BESTSELLING VEHICLE IN UK
– The UK saw plugin electric vehicles take 17.2% share of the auto market in June 2021, up from 9.5% in June 2020. The Tesla Model 3 was the UK’s overall best selling vehicle (of any powertrain) in the month, with 5,468 units sold. Overall auto market volume stood at 186,000 units in June, down around 16% from long term seasonal norms.
– 10.7% full battery electrics (BEVs) and 6.5% plugin hybrids (PHEVs), which is a swing towards BEVs from recent weightings
– Full battery electric vehicles outsold old-school (non electric assist) diesel vehicles for the first time ever, selling 32% more volume. Old school diesels took just 8.1% of the market, their lowest score in decades.
– combustion vehicles (petrol plus diesel) were also at a new record low of 54.5% share, from 76.3% a year ago. They are on track to drop below 50% within the next couple of months.
VW DROPS I.D. PRICES IN THE UK
– In the UK, Volkswagen`s ID.3 and ID.4 models are now offered with configurable trim levels and a range of option packs across all derivatives. Under the new pricing, two more variants have become eligible for the Government’s Plug-in Vehicle Grant. The new pricing strategy significantly affects the ID.3. Under the new pricing, two more variants have become eligible for the Government’s Plug-in Vehicle Grant, which brings the total to six. The ID.3 Family Pro and Family Pro Performance are now both priced just under the £35,000 threshold for the £2,500 grant. These models, now priced at £33,640 and £34,960 respectively. Of course now with their new grant eligibility, these prices fall to £31,140 and £32,460 OTR.
– the highly-equipped Max and range-topping Tour have been reduced by £3,800. The Tour boasts a 77 kWh battery and 340-mile range (WLTP, combined) and is priced from £38,800.
Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/07/05/vw-drops-i-d-prices-in-the-uk/
ID.3 AND ID.4 RECEIVE WIDE RANGE OF CHANGES AS MODEL YEAR 2022 VEHICLES OPEN FOR ORDER
– This new structure considerably increases the flexibility of the ID.3 and ID.4 in the customer’s ordering process. For example, previously it was not possible to configure an Augmented Reality Head-up display on any ID.3 model other than the Max and Tour. Now, a customer can choose any trim level and add the Infotainment Package Plus to receive the AR HUD, alongside the additional speakers that are part of the pack. Just as before, the different trim levels will still feature pre-determined packs as standard equipment, but now customers can choose to add additional packs to cater to their individual needs.
Original Source : https://www.vwpress.co.uk/en-gb/releases/4561
THE STELLANTIS EV DAY IS COMING. HERE’S WHAT TO KNOW
– Stellantis, the world’s fourth-largest car maker, will host its EV Day on Thursday and unveil more details around its electrification strategy. The company, formed earlier this year through the merger between Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot, already has an electric-vehicle strategy, which it set out in April.
– The group has grown market share in Europe so far in 2021, accounting for 16.8% of new BEV registrations in the region from January to May, according to automotive analyst Matthias Schmidt. That puts it second behind Volkswagen — 25.7% — and ahead of the Renault-Nissan alliance with 12.3% and Tesla with 11.5%.
– BoA analysts expected Stellantis to deliver a “bullish message” on Thursday to make it clear to investors the company wouldn’t be left behind in the electric revolution. “In our view, the only thing that Stellantis has to do is to put the various puzzle pieces together and explain some more details on essential strategy items (i.e. on battery chemistries, cell technology, cost assumptions for the EV line up, differences in planning between North America and Europe, capex requirements, etc.),” they said.
– Stellantis is also reportedly set to announce plans to produce electric vans at its Ellesmere Port factory in northwest England.
VOLVO, DAIMLER, TRATON TO DEVELOP CHARGING NETWORK FOR HEAVY-DUTY TRUCKS IN EUROPE
– Volvo Group, Daimler Truck and Traton Group have signed a non-binding agreement to install and operate a high-performance public charging network for battery electric heavy-duty long-haul trucks and coaches in Europe. With plans to start operations in 2022, the partners intend to invest together 500 million Euros to install and operate at least 1,700 high-performance green energy charging points close to highways as well as at logistic and destination points, within five years from the establishment of the joint venture (JV).
– The future JV is planned to operate under its own corporate identity based in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
– Battery electric vehicle fleet operators will be able to leverage both fast charging tailored to the 45-minute mandatory rest period in Europe focusing on long-distance transport—the highest priority of the future JV—and also charge overnight.
TESLA MODEL Y STANDARD RANGE FOR HONG KONG MAY CONFIRM LFP USE RUMORS
– CNEVPost published in June that the deal Tesla made with CATL to extend their LFP contract up to 2025 would include sourcing these cells to the Model Y. Deliveries for the electric crossover with these batteries would start in July.
When we check Tesla’s website about the Model Y Standard Range for Hong Kong, the company says that deliveries will start in September. The estimated range for the vehicle is higher than that for the Model 3 Standard Range Plus, which would achieve 448 km (278 mi).
– That’s a 10% increase compared to the Model 3 SR+ value.
– Although the Model Y Standard Range for Hong Kong could confirm the LFP rumors, the price and range differences suggest that Model Y Standard Range may have 2170 cells. However, if that is the case, Tesla could also offer this derivative in the US.
– Another feasible explanation for the disparities is that Tesla developed a larger LFP battery pack for the Model Y.
NEW CITROËN Ë-SPACETOURER GETS £14K DROP
– New Citroën ë-SpaceTourer range announced for the UK, with entry-level model now attracting £2,500 Plug-In Car Grant (PICG).
– Changes to lead-in version see MRR OTR price reduce by over £14,000
– Offering seating for up to nine people, Citroën ë-SpaceTourer delivers up to 143 miles of range from a single charge (WLTP). With exceptionally low total cost of ownership (TCO), the new ë-SpaceTourer range is priced from just £31,995 (after £2,500 Government PICG deduction).
– The introduction of the new ‘Business Edition’ trim means ë-SpaceTourer now complies with the new pricing threshold to benefit from the Government’s Plug-In Car Grant.
– In addition, the new lead-in ‘Business Edition’ also enjoys air conditioning, cruise control, Apple CarPlay™, Android Auto, a 7-inch touchscreen and a driver attention alert system.
– powered by a 50kWh battery, connected to a 100kW (136hp) electric motor.
– Supporting up to 100kW rapid charging, an 80% re-charge will take just 30 minutes.
WILL THE AUDI E-TRON GT FACE THE SAME RECALL ISSUES AS THE PORSCHE TAYCAN?
– By now, it’s almost universally known among car enthusiasts that the Audi e-tron GT and Porsche Taycan are mechanical siblings. They have different exteriors, different interiors, and different tuning; powertrain, suspension, etc. However, the main powertrain bits are almost exactly the same. If the software for such powertrain bits are also the same, the Audi e-tron GT could be in the same trouble as the Taycan. Though, to date, there don’t seem to be any reports of such issues. Thankfully.
– According to the NHTSA, the issue with the Taycan occurs when the 12-volt battery loses charge, which then supposedly shuts down the whole system and isn’t supposed to happen. It also happens regardless of which battery pack is equipped with the car; be it the 71 kWh or 83 kWh. While only nine cases of this happening were reported, up to 43,000 Taycans could face this issue. Because of this, Porsche is recalling all potentially affected models, with only a software update needed to fix the issue.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you had to buy one electric car today and it was the only car you were allowed to drive for the next three years, what would you choose? And why. I’ll go first. VW ID.4 GTX
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL