If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 30th June. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
RENAULT EV ELECTRIC BATTERY COSTS TO REDUCE IN ELECTRIC-CAR PUSH
– Renault SA aims to cut the cost of its batteries by 60% this decade as the struggling French carmaker seeks to accelerate a push into electric vehicles. Renault also plans to lower the cost of its electric motors by 30%, make them more compact and extend their range, it said Wednesday. It plans to roll out several EVs in the coming years, including a revival of the iconic and affordable ‘4L’ model.
– In deciding to revive the 4L model that dates back to the 1960s after also announcing plans to remake the Renault 5 into an EV, de Meo is taking his penchant for vintage a step further. The latter will cost a third less than its compact Zoe EV, the company said.
– Part of Renault’s push into affordable EVs is a pledge to lower battery-pack costs to less than $100 per kilowatt-hour in 2025, and below $80 per kilowatt-hour in 2030
ELECTRIC RENAULT 5 HEADING FOR PRODUCTION – AND IT’LL COST UNDER £20K
– The Renault 5 EV Prototype is heading for production, although not until 2024, with a new platform and a target price under £20k. When Renault revealed the new electric Renault 5 Prototype at the start of the year, it was hard to believe it was just a punt at a future EV, rather than a car with production intent, as it seemed to hit a rich vein of retro-modern style and promised much.
– To no one’s great surprise, Renault has now announced that the Electric 5 will go into production as part of its plans to deliver 14 new models by 2025 – seven of which will be EVs – and arrive in 2024. So a bit of a wait then.
When it does arrive, the Electric 5 will use new nickel, manganese and cobalt (NCM) batteries which, say Renault, will drastically reduce the overall battery cost and deliver a range of around 250 miles, 134bhp from its electric motor and be underpinned by a new CMF-BEV Platform designed for compact EVs.
RENAULT 4EVER: BRAND TEASES ADDITIONAL SMALL EV
– Renault has confirmed it’s developing a second B-segment EV, currently named the ‘4ever’.
The brand revealed the first details and a reductive teaser image of the front end of the new car, showing a rectangular ‘grille’ and headlights complete with Renault’s new badge front and centre. It’s designed to invoke the classic Renault 4 – one of the brand’s most iconic models – and reimagine it for the electric age.
– The new 4ever will use the brand’s new CMF-BEV platform – an electric version of the platform used on the Clio and Captur – which claims around 248 miles of range on a charge.
NEW RENAULT PLATFORM MAKES ELECTRIC VEHICLES ‘MORE AFFORDABLE’
– It says it will also strengthen its presence in the all-electric C-segment, firstly with the All-New MéganE in 2022, while the Alpine ‘dream garage’ unveiled in January will become a reality, starting in 2024.
The Group aims at providing the greenest mix in the European market in 2025, with more than 65% of vehicles in the sales mix electric and electrified, and up to 90% BEVs in the Renault brand mix by 2030.
– With CMF-EV and CMF-BEV platforms, the Group says it can capitalise on its 10 years’ of EV experience making dedicated EV platforms along with its highly efficient CMF-B platform.
For the C- and D-segment, the CMF-EV platform will represent 700,000 units at Alliance level by 2025. CMF-EV offers a range up to 360 miles (580km, WLTP).
– This performance, it says, comes from the Group and Nissan’s engineers working on reduced friction, weight reduction and a state-of-the-art thermal management system.
– On top of these new technologies, the Group is also working on a more compact, all-in-one e-powertrain.
This e-powertrain integrates the e-motor, the reducer and the power electronics (One Box Project) in a single package: enabling 45% less volume in total (equivalent to the volume of the current-generation Clio fuel tank), 30% reduction in cost of the overall powertrain (this value saving being the equivalent of the e-motor cost), and 45% reduction of wasted energy on WLTP allowing an extra EV range of up to 12 miles (20km).
GM AND SHELL WILL GIVE YOU FREE ELECTRICITY FOR YOUR ELECTRIC CAR
– While many companies and even countries have committed to going full-zero-emissions by a certain date, GM and Shell are going a step or two beyond that, offering to pay for the electricity to charge your electric car.
– “Coming this summer, owners of electric vehicles from GM brands will have the opportunity to select home energy plans that include the option for free overnight hours of EV charging1,” GM said in a release.
– You just have to own a GM EV, in Texas, and charge overnight. You can easily program your car to start and stop charging at certain times of the day or night, so it won’t be that hard.
– “Owners of eligible Chevrolet electric vehicles (EV) will have the opportunity to schedule their EV to charge during the free overnight hours, from midnight to 5 a.m.”
REVEL VOWS TO LAUNCH TESLA E-CAB SERVICE THIS SUMMER
– Brooklyn e-scooter-sharing company Revel is ploughing ahead with its plans roll out an all-electric cab fleet later this summer, despite the city’s Taxi and Limousine Commission blocking the move last week.
“We’ll be launching a little later this summer,” said Revel co-founder and chief executive officer Frank Reig at the opening of the company’s electric vehicle charging ‘superhub’ in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, on Tuesday, June 29.
– Revel originally wanted debut a fleet of 50 Teslas colored in the company’s signature blue onto the streets of Downtown Manhattan. In order to bypass the the city’s cap on new for-hire vehicles, the firm planned to use an exemption for electric vehicles, but TLC threw up a roadblock last week when commissioners voted to close that loophole.
– On Tuesday, the company cut the ribbon on its new electric vehicle charging hub at the old Pfizer factory on Flushing and Marcy avenues in Bedford-Stuyvesant, which will be open to the public to juice up their electric cars 24/7 starting Tuesday, with free charging for the first seven days
– the power center was supposed to support Revel’s fleet of Tesla Model Y’s, as well as charge EV’s owned by the public at the rate of 39 cents per kilowatt-hour
CRASHES INVOLVING TESLA AUTOPILOT AND OTHER DRIVER-ASSISTANCE SYSTEMS GET NEW SCRUTINY
– A federal safety agency told automakers on Tuesday to begin reporting and tracking crashes involving cars and trucks that use advanced driver-assistance technology such as Tesla’s Autopilot
– Automakers must report serious crashes within one day of learning about them, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said. Serious accidents include those in which a person is killed or taken to a hospital, a vehicle has to be towed away, or airbags are deployed.
– Under the agency’s order on Tuesday, automakers must provide more complete information on serious crashes involving advanced driver-assistance systems within 10 days. And companies must submit a report on all crashes involving such systems every month.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/ZhCpw/
- Original Source : https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/29/business/tesla-autopilot-safety.html
TESLA WINS AGAINST GREEN ACTIVISTS WHO SOUGHT TO DELAY EUROPEAN PLANT
– Tesla moved one step closer to opening its European plant after a German court rejected a bid by two environmental groups that would have prevented important tests from being carried out by the automaker. The injunction, filed by the nature conservation associations Gruene Liga and NABU, sought to prevent preliminary functional testing of parts of the plant, which is under construction in Gruenheide just outside of Berlin.
– The conservationists can appeal against the decision to the Higher Administrative Court of Berlin-Brandenburg (OVG).
TESLA MODEL Y LAUNCH DATE AND PRICING IN HONG KONG REVEALED
– Tesla will launch the Model Y electric SUV in Hong Kong in coming days, marking the first right-hand drive market to receive what CEO and co-founder Elon Musk believes will be the EV maker’s most popular electric vehicle and giving hints at Australian pricing.
Three variants of the Model Y will be on sale in Hong Kong from July 2, according to the administrative region’s customs website.
– It is understood that the launch date will see orders open for the RHD Model Y on Friday, and word on the street is that deliveries will start 8 weeks after that, at the start of September.
142 TESLA MEGAPACKS POWER ON TO CREATE GIANT NEW BATTERY, REPLACING GAS PEAKER PLANT IN CALIFORNIA
– A new 142-Tesla Megapack project has been turned on in California’s Ventura County to create a giant new battery that is replacing a gas peaker plant.
– The project is called the Saticoy battery storage system, and it came about when the local community in Oxnard fought against having a new gas-powered peaker plant to help respond to the energy demand during peak times.
– The community was about to get a polluting gas power plant near the beach, and instead, they now have one of the largest energy storage sites in US, and it was deployed in just nine months
– The Tesla Megapacks receive electricity from Southern California Edison (SCE) under the terms of a 20-year purchase and sale agreement.
It releases the electricity back into the grid during peak demand times when it’s most valuable as it avoids using gas peaker plants.
CHAR.GY AWARDED £6.4M FOR ON-STREET CHARGING IN THE UK
– Zouk Capital announces a £6.4m investment into Char.gy, an on-street EV charge point operator and eMSP (eMobility Service Provider), which is rolling out on-street residential electric vehicle charging points in the UK.
– Zouk Capital is the manager of the UK Government’s Charging Infrastructure Investment Fund (CIIF), established in 2019.
NETHERLANDS LICENSES FIRST EV SMART CHARGING COMPANY TO PROVIDE GRID SERVICES – PV MAGAZINE INTERNATIONAL
– The NewMotion electric vehicle (EV) charging business owned by Anglo-Dutch energy giant Shell has become the first such entity to obtain a licence to provide grid balancing services in the Netherlands.Dutch grid company Tennet has licensed NewMotion to provide megawatt-scale balancing services to maintain grid frequency at 50 Hz by varying the rate at which EVs are charged
– NewMotion will bundle EV drivers who sign up for the scheme into a virtual battery which will be able to offer 1 MW of grid balancing for every 4,000 vehicles under charge. Charging points across the company’s network will slow their rate when the grid frequency is too low and ramp when it is high, Tennet said on its website this month.
CONNECTICUT INCREASES REBATES FOR ELECTRIC CAR PURCHASES
– Connecticut is sweetening state incentives for consumers who purchase electric vehicles.
Gov. Ned Lamont’s office announced Monday that rebates under the state’s Connecticut Hydrogen and Electric Automobile Purchase Rebate (CHEAPR) program will increase to between $750 and $7,500, depending on the type of vehicle purchased.
– The move comes the same day the administration announced it has been awarded a $7.4 million grant from the Federal Transit Administration for the purchase of ten battery electric buses and ten DC fast chargers.
– The state is also extending the program to the purchase of used electric vehicles.
GERMANY: PLUG-IN CAR SALES MORE THAN QUADRUPLED IN MAY 2021
– The number of passenger plug-in car registrations increased 338% year-over-year to over 54,000, which represents 23.4% of the entire market.
Interestingly, all-electric cars expanded faster than plug-in hybrids
– So far this year, more than 247,000 new passenger plug-in cars were registered in Germany, which is 209% more than a year ago.
New registrations year-to-date:
BEVs: 115,296 – up 219% at 10.3% market share
PHEVs: 132,257 – up 241% at 11.8% market share
– Volkswagen: 10,686
Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/517066/germany-plugin-sales-may-2021/
PORSCHE MACAN EV INTERIOR CAUGHT IN FRESH SPY PHOTOS
– Porsche’s upcoming Macan electric has been spied in the wild again, this time with its windows down and some interior parts uncovered, giving us a glimpse of the small crossover EV’s cabin for the first time.
While this may be our first peek inside the new Macan’s cabin, there really aren’t any surprises here. The central infotainment and console screens are borrowed from the Taycan electric sedan, as is the dash-mounted drive selector, which takes the place of the “electric shaver” gear selector found in Porsche’s ICE vehicles.
NEW 2022 GENESIS GV60 ELECTRIC CROSSOVER CAUGHT ON CAMERA
– Genesis is gearing up for the launch of a new compact electric SUV, spied on camera for the first time as a potential rival for the Tesla Model Y.It’ll be based on the Hyundai Group’s E-GMP platform for electric vehicles and could be badged GV60 if Genesis’s trademark applications are anything to go by. The production-ready GV60 will be revealed later this year.
– t’s platform will be shared with the new Hyundai Ioniq 5 and the Kia EV6, though the Genesis will be positioned as a more upmarket sibling to these models with a higher price tag, in keeping with the Genesis brand’s premium positioning in the market.Advertisement – Article continues belowCompared with the boxy look of the Ioniq 5, the Genesis will instead be a coupe-inspired compact electric SUV, similar to the Kia EV6.
– We expect the Kia EV6’s dual-screen infotainment system will be carried over, while the same basic dashboard architecture of the Ioniq 5 and EV6, with a long, flat centre console, will appear.
– It’s likely that a 77.4kWh battery will be standard, while electric motor options could range from a 226bhp single-motor set-up with over 300 miles of range to the same 577bhp all-wheel-drive arrangement as the range-topping Kia EV6 GT, which should provide a 0-62mph time of 3.5 seconds and a maximum range of around 250 miles.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
If you could only afford one, would you rather – Solar Panels or battery storage? On one hand, energy generation. But then again, being able to store electricity when it’s cheap and use it later to charge your EV.
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL