If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 24th June. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA MODEL 3 FIRST ELECTRIC CAR TO TOP CARS.COM AMERICAN-MADE INDEX
– The Tesla Model 3 reached the number one spot in Cars.com’s 2021 American-Made Index (AMI), making it the first all-electric vehicle to top the list in its 16-year history .The annual survey results, released Wednesday, “ranks new vehicles that contribute most to the U.S. economy” based on U.S. factory jobs, manufacturing plants and sourcing of parts, according to the Cars.com
– This shows that despite the ongoing semiconductor shortage and lack of vehicle inventory, consumer demand is high, especially for American-made vehicles.
– Research done by Cars.com shows 72% of shoppers consider a car’s U.S. economic impact an important deciding factor in their vehicle purchase, according to Cars.com.
- Original Source : https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2021/06/23/tesla-model-3-top-american-car-index-ford-mustang/5312540001/
NEW YORK CITY VOTES TO BLOCK NEW LICENSES FOR ELECTRIC TAXIS
– New York City’s Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC) voted to block the issuance of new for-hire vehicle licenses for electric vehicles. The move was widely perceived as a snub toward Revel, the company best known for its electric moped-sharing service, which was planning to launch a ride-hailing service using a fleet of Tesla vehicles.
-Revel announced last April that it planned to launch a ride-hail service in Manhattan with a fleet of 50 Tesla Model Ys. The company had been hoping to exploit a loophole in the city’s current rules, which caps the number of new FHV licenses but exempts wheelchair-accessible and electric vehicles. The cap was originally enacted as a way to stem the tide of new Uber and Lyft vehicles that were flooding the streets. On Tuesday, the TLC voted 5-to-1 remove the exemption for electric vehicles, effectively closing off that pathway for Revel.
– those who already own an FHV license for a gas car are still allowed to transfer those licenses to an electric vehicle if they so choose.
- Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/23/22546955/nyc-tlc-electric-vehicle-license-taxi-vote-revel-tesla
REALITY CHECK FOR VW IN CHINA
– Volkswagen AG’s ID series – the backbone of its electric vehicle ambitions – is off to what even company sources call a worryingly slow start in China. Sales in May of two ID.4 electric SUV models, launched only two months earlier, came to a mere 1,213 combined. And that was about 200 fewer than in April, according to auto consultancy LMC. The sales fall far short of initial hopes, four people with knowledge of the matter said, and what some other automakers have achieved with early sales of flagship EV offerings in the world’s largest auto market.
– Volkswagen’s venture with state-owned SAIC Motor, which makes the slightly bigger ID.4 X model, had been targeting sales of 50,000-60,000 vehicles this year
– A separate venture between the world’s No. 2 automaker and FAW which makes the ID.4 CROZZ had similar targets
– By comparison, Tesla sold 6,612 of its Model Y in China in the first two months after its launch. The ID.4’s sales performance in China also contrasts sharply with Europe, where it is a top-selling electric car with 12,101 sold in the first two months post-launch
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/CSmmz/
- Original Source : https://www.euronews.com/2021/06/22/uk-volkswagen-electric-china
MG MARVEL R ELECTRIC HEADING TO EUROPEAN DEALERS – ELECTRIVE.COM
– MG Motor has announced the market launch of its all-electric SUV, Marvel R Electric, in Europe. The model is now available for pre-order. The electric SUV will arrive in European MG Brand Stores in autumn this year.
MG Motor gives list prices for the Marvel R, which was unveiled in March, ranging from 40,000 to 50,000 euros. The Marvel R is available in all-wheel-drive (AWD) and rear-wheel-drive (RWD) versions and Comfort, Luxury and Performance variants.
– The large electric car is 4.67 metres long and features a wheelbase of 2.8 metres. According to the company, the SUV is built on an aluminium frame and accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 4.9 seconds. The top speed is 200 km/h.
– Prospective buyers can choose between two powertrain versions: a tri-motor powertrain – with three electric motors, all-wheel drive and a maximum output of 212 kW, as well as a WLTP range of 370 kilometres. The RWD version with two electric motors has a maximum output of 132 kW and a WLTP range of 402 kilometres. Both versions get their energy from a 70-kWh lithium-ion battery.
– With a V2L (vehicle-to-load) function, the lithium-ion battery can also supply external electrical devices such as air pumps, e-scooters, laptops or another electric car with power.
- Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/06/22/mg-marvel-r-electric-heading-to-european-dealers/
LUCID’S ‘AIR’ ELECTRIC LUXURY SEDAN RECORDS MORE THAN 10,000 RESERVATIONS
– Lucid Motors said that the reservations for the luxury electric sedan, Air, have already reached more than 10,000. Although it is expected that the reservations would still be higher than usual, the growing EV production in the company could be enough to rival Tesla.
– “We achieved a landmark last Friday when we started building our quality validation production run of cars. We completed our pre-production run very successfully. The quality validation builds are the cars that we eventually will sell directly to customers once we get the quality right. This is a big step in our mission to industrialize,” Lucid CEO Peter Rawlinson said.
In line with this goal, Rawlinson hopes that the Air’s “Dream Edition” would be delivered in this year’s second half. During Q2 2021, the revamped Dream only lasted for a while. Lucid stated that this time, they would only create 500 units of it.
- Original Source : https://www.techtimes.com/articles/261897/20210624/lucids-air-electric-luxury-sedan-records-more-10-000-reservations.htm
RIVIAN PLANT EMPLOYMENT TOPS 1,900 | WGLT
– Rivian has now hired 1,000 people in the past four months at its plant in Normal, with spokesperson Zach Dietmeier saying the total number of workers is about 1,900 — and hiring continues.
– “By the end of the year we expect to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 2,500 employees on site in Normal. Full projections at the Normal Production Facility is somewhere in the neighborhood of 3,000 to 4,000 people by the end of 2022,” said Dietmeier.
– New vehicles will start to roll off the line next month as the company starts production models of its R1T pickup trucks. The company’s electric SUV will debut late this year.
- Original Source : https://www.wglt.org/local-news/2021-06-23/rivian-plant-employment-tops-1-900
EUROPE INVESTS $47B IN 38 EV BATTERY GIGAFACTORIES
– As of May 2021, 38 battery cell gigafactories are being built or planned in Europe and the UK, according to the latest report by the non-governmental organization Transport & Environment. Out of the 38 projects, 17 have secured funding so far, estimated to be up to $30 billion between them. The amount consists of both private and public funding, including, for instance, Tesla’s gigafactory in Berlin, which received $1.4 billion in German federal and state support.
– Ten other projects have secured partial financing and support, making up at least $16.8 billion in potential investments. These include numerous national projects, key to Europe’s battery autonomy, notably Verkor in France, Britishvolt in the UK, Italvolt in Italy, Basquevolt-Nabatt in Spain, and Freyr in Norway.In addition, 11 more gigafactories have recently been announced, but still lack firm commitments regarding location, planned capacity, and investment.
– If all 38 gigafactories come through, 462 GWh worth of battery cells could be produced in 2025 and 1,144 GWh in 2030 – that’s 13 times higher the current European supply of 87 GWh in 2021. According to Transport & Environment’s analysis, this would give Europe one fifth of global cell production by 2025, rendering it second only to China .
- Original Source : https://thenextweb.com/news/europe-delivers-blow-asia-with-47b-investment-ev-battery-gigafactories
1000 NEW JOBS COMING TO SPARTANBURG SC OSHKOSH VEHICLE PLANT
– A Wisconsin company will invest $155 million and create 1,000 jobs in Spartanburg County in a plant to manufacture the next generation of vehicles for the United States Postal Service. Oshkosh Defense, a subsidiary of Oshkosh Corp., will be located in the Flatwood Industrial Park to make zero-emission battery electric vehicles and fuel-efficient low-emission internal combustion engine vehicles. The company will reconfigure an existing warehouse. Other suppliers for the Oshkosh plant are expected to locate in the area, the company said in an announcement Tuesday.
– The vehicles will be the first large-scale purchase by the Postal Service in 30 years. The contract calls for 50,000 to 165,000 vehicles over a period of 10 years. Oshkosh was selected in a competitive process that began in 2015 and ended with a multi-billion-dollar contract in February 2021, the company said.
- Original Source : https://www.thestate.com/news/business/article252277318.html
NEW STUDY FINDS THAT EV CHARGE AUTOMATION COULD REDUCE CARBON IMPACT
– A new study from Sense and Singularity Energy has demonstrated the potential for significant carbon reductions from electric vehicle (EV) charging using a combination of smart home automation and location- and time-based carbon emissions data from the power grid. The study found that by automating charging to minimize carbon impact, carbon emissions from EV charging could be reduced 8-14% on average across the U.S.
– Carbon reductions from automated EV charging could have a significant impact on reaching carbon emissions goals to slow climate change, and while EV charging is the most obvious case, similar opportunities for savings apply to other large loads in the home. The best opportunities for load shaping are activities that can be scheduled flexibly, like running a dishwasher or washing machine during overnight hours to have clean clothes and dishes ready when they’re needed in the morning
– Using an automated, dynamic approach, utilities can incentivize customers to reduce peak emissions by shifting their activities, including EV charging, similar to the current incentives to reduce peak demand.
- Original Source : https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-finds-that-ev-charge-automation-could-reduce-carbon-impact-by-up-to-14-in-us-and-by-43-in-california-301316475.html
WE’RE CHARGING OUR EVS AT PEAK TIMES
– Electric vehicle owners are often opting to charge their vehicles at times of peak energy demand in the late afternoon and evening, highlighting the need for smart charging technology, a study by utilities giant Origin shows. The research shows there are a number of obstacles to getting EV users – both at home and the workplace – to invest in smart chargers, including cost and energy market literacy. But it says smart charging is essential to ensure the grid can support rapid growth in EV ownership.
– In some ways residential EV owners were behaving in an savvy manner. Of the 70 residential EV owners covered, nearly 90 per cent had rooftop solar, and they wanted to use it to charge their vehicles.
– the period between around 5pm and 9pm is when the grid is at its busiest and electricity at its most expensive. That’s the prime time when EVs should – with the right equipment – be feeding back into the network or powering the house, not buying expensive electricity from the grid.
– Origin found there were a number of obstacles to the uptake of smart chargers. It found residential EV owners were currently quite happy just to plug their car into a regular power point
– Origin said the likely sharp rise in EV ownership meant getting people to use smart chargers was vital to ensure the grid could handle this new load.
- Original Source : https://thedriven.io/2021/06/23/were-charging-our-evs-at-peak-times-and-must-get-smarter-origin/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best way to navigate an EV journey and charge on the way? Do you use our smartphone or use the car’s internal system?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL