If you get any value from this podcast please consider supporting my work on Patreon. Plus all Patreon supporters get their own unique ad-free podcast feed.
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 23rd June. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to four new PRODUCERS of the podcast on Patreon. Welcome to JON HUDD, BLAINE HENDERSON, PETER LAWRANCE and CHAZ FISHER!
RIVIAN CEO TWEETS VIDEOS OF AMAZON VAN AT PAINT SHOP
– RJ Scaringe is a low-profile automotive CEO: he only talks about anything when it is ready or close to that. Instead of presenting Rivian to the world and asking for funds, he only revealed it with the R1T prototype and plenty of money from Ford and Amazon. The Internet giant wanted an electric van. Apparently, it is close to production since RJ Scaringe tweeted videos of its body in the paint shop.
– It shows a robot painting the interior of the Amazon Van, as it is now known. Amazon alone ordered 100,000 of them
– Having such a massive vehicle submerged in a tank full of zinc phosphate coating is an impressive feat for a company that is yet to deliver its first products but is about to do so. Rivian promised the first R1T and R1S would meet their owners in July.
Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/rivian-ceo-tweets-videos-of-production-amazon-van-at-the-paint-shop-163667.html
JAGUAR LAND ROVER CLOSE TO SELECTING UK BATTERY PLANT, CEO TELLS PAPER
– Jaguar Land Rover is close to announcing plans to source batteries for its electric vehicles from the UK, CEO Thierry Bollore told the Financial Times. The automaker also will take closer control of key parts such as microprocessors and batteries as it overhauls its supply chain, Bollore told the paper
– Bollore told the FT that batteries will be as critical in future as engine-making is today, and JLR is also “exploring all possibilities” about whether to make or buy batteries for its electric vehicles.
– Sourcing batteries from a UK plant is the “favorite scenario,” he said, adding that the company is in final discussions with a handful of battery manufacturers about plant location.
– the Jaguar brand will become all-electric starting in 2025 and Land Rover will aim to make 60 percent of its sales zero emissions vehicles by 2030.
– He said JLR’s only full-electric model, the Jaguar I-Pace, will continue for several years including new derivatives, but will not be directly replaced. The Range Rover and Land Rover Defender will get full-electric versions, he said.
Original Source : https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/jaguar-land-rover-close-selecting-uk-battery-plant-ceo-tells-paper
NATIONAL GRID FIRST MAJOR US UTILITY TO COMMIT TO ELECTRIFY ITS FLEET
– Major utility company National Grid is electrifying close to 6,000 vehicles in the UK and US. The energy company, which will electrify 2,879 vehicles in the UK and 2,905 vehicles in the US, also installs charging sites in the UK and will continue to add 2,900 chargers for its fleets to the 1,400 points already deployed in its US territories.
– National Grid is also joining the EV100 initiative and becomes the first major US utility to commit to electrifying its fleet.
– The utility operates 50 medium and heavy-duty electrified vehicles while replacing the company passenger cars with electric vehicles. It is also running trials of some electric construction equipment and electrified aerial bucket trucks.
Original Source : https://www.nextgreencar.com/news/9175/national-grid-first-major-us-utility-to-commit-to-electrify-its-fleet/
ENEOS AND AMPLE PARTNER TO LAUNCH EV BATTERY-SWAPPING SERVICE
– Eneos and Ample, a US-based startup in which Eneos is an investor, are to collaboratively launch an EV battery-swapping service in Japan.
– Through the collaboration, both companies aim to develop an energy delivery service for EVs by creating a battery-swapping station to provide a fast and convenient way of changing batteries at an effective price point.
– With renewable energy becoming increasingly important, the swapping station will also be used as a large stationary battery. This will contribute to the optimization of energy utilization and the batteries can also be used as an emergency power source.
Original Source : https://www.enginetechnologyinternational.com/news/electric-powertrain-technologies/eneos-and-ample-partner-to-launch-ev-battery-swapping-service.html
WHO DRIVES ELECTRIC VEHICLES IN SOUTH KOREA?
– Of the 14,917 EVs produced by South Korean automakers and sold here in 2020, people in their 50s were the biggest purchasers, accounting for about 20 percent of all sales — 2,991 vehicles — according to data from the Korea Automobile Manufacturers Association. Those in their 40s were next on the list, buying 2,627 EVs, and those in their 60s purchased 2,013. People in their 30s bought 1,772 EVs, and buyers in their 20s were the smallest segment, purchasing only 466 — fewer than people in their 70s. Corporate purchases amounted to 4,497 vehicles, or 30.1 percent of the total. People in their 40s were the biggest buyers of imported EVs, purchasing 600 of the 3,357 imported EVs sold here in 2020, according to the Korea Automobile Importers and Distributors Association. The data did not include Tesla, which sold 11,826 vehicles in 2020, as the company is not a member of the association.
– According to a survey released this month by the KEPCO Research Institute, a corporate research and development subsidiary of the state-run Korea Electric Power Corp., the average monthly mileage for EVs was 1,984 km — almost double the figure for internal combustion engines, which was 1,053 km.
Original Source : http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20210621000270
TESLA CHINA TO LAUNCH POWERWALL BATTERIES AND RESIDENTIAL SOLAR FOR DOMESTIC MARKET
– Announcements posted online in China indicate that the Tesla Powerwall is formally coming to the country in two days, with the company holding a solar, storage, and charging event on June 23, 2021. Tesla has released three promotional images for the event: one featuring a Supercharger stall, another featuring a Powerwall battery, and another one featuring a solar panel.
Original Source : https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-powerwall-solar-release-date-china/
TESLA OPENS SOLAR CHARGING STATION IN TIBET
– Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) has opened a solar-powered charging station with on-site power storage in the Tibetan capital Lhasa, the company said in a Weibo post on Wednesday, its first such facility in China.Tesla does not have a showroom in Tibet, a remote and long-impoverished region. In its post, the company cited the ample sunlight in the mountainous area as behind the move.
– China is Tesla’s second-biggest market, but the charging site is its first in the country with dedicated solar power and on-site power storage. China’s power grid is predominantly fueled by coal.
Original Source : https://www.reuters.com/business/sustainable-business/tesla-opens-first-charging-station-china-with-energy-storage-facilities-2021-06-23/
U.S GOVERNMENT CONFIRMS OBVIOUS: ELECTRIC CARS ARE CHEAPER
– According to the office, internal-combustion-engine-powered (ICE) vehicles cost $0.101 per mile to maintain. Hybrid vehicles and plug in hybrids are cheaper to run, but only slightly, ringing in at $0.094 and $0.09 per mile to run. Full battery electric vehicles, on the other hand, are much, much less expensive to run and maintain, coming in at just $0.061 per mile.Now, a difference of just four cents per mile might not sound like much, until you realize just how many miles government owned, light-duty vehicles travel each and every year. According to the U.S. General Services Administration, government-owned light-duty vehicles traveled 1,958,202,121 miles in 2019.
– a hypothetical full-electric government fleet would have saved just over $78 million in maintenance costs.
– this calculation doesn’t even factor in how much money EVs potentially save in average fuel costs per mile, which would likely widen that $78 million gap to an even more eye-popping sum
– The U.S. Office Of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy has recently given us insight into just how much cheaper electrics can be
Original Source : https://www.motortrend.com/news/government-ev-ice-maintenance-cost-comparison/
PROTERRA AND MIAMI-DADE COUNTY ANNOUNCE FLEET ELECTRIFICATION
– Miami-Dade to install one of the largest fleet charging systems in the U.S. with 75 Proterra chargers across three bus depots. Miami-Dade’s purchase of 42 Proterra electric transit buses brings its fleet to 75 Proterra buses. With 19 megawatt hours of battery storage capacity and nine megawatts of EV charging power, the project demonstrates Proterra’s ability to offer full fleet electrification technology solutions to commercial vehicle customers
– Manufactured in the United States, Proterra battery-electric buses feature zero tailpipe emissions, saving approximately 230,000 pounds of greenhouse gases annually when replacing a diesel bus. The Company’s fleet of zero-emission, electric transit buses have displaced over 100 million pounds of CO2 tailpipe emissions.
Original Source : https://www.proterra.com/press-release/miami-fleet-electrification/
EVS CHANGE THE RULES ON WHERE TO BUILD CARS
– [Polestar] which is affiliated with Volvo Cars and its Chinese parent company Geely, has barely begun to establish a sales foothold in the U.S. But it will produce the coming Polestar 3 crossover at Volvo’s plant in Ridgeville, S.C.
– That’s a change from established industry practice. Import brands historically spent years nurturing U.S. sales results before being willing to consider the expense of an American production base. When they did take the plunge, often it was for a nameplate or segment with an established sales demand.
– For a variety of reasons, EVs are getting U.S. production lines from the get-go.
– “Build where you sell” will become more profitable in the case of EVs, said Sam Fiorani, vice president at AutoForecast Solutions. “With the added cost of shipping these heavier vehicles, manufacturers already have good reason to source these models in North America for local consumption.”
– EVs also present manufacturers with a new cost-of-labor equation because they are relatively less complex to assemble.
Original Source : https://www.plasticsnews.com/news/evs-change-rules-where-build-cars
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
What’s the best way to navigate an EV journey and charge on the way? Do you use our smartphone or use the car’s internal system?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST
NATIONALCARCHARGING.COM and ALOHACHARGE.COM
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ
JOHN VAN DEVOORT
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS
LAURENCE D ALLEN
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE
THOMAS J. THIAS
THE PLUGSEEKER’S EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL