Wanna split £100? You get £50 free AND save money on 100% green electricity by moving to Octopus Energy. Plus I get £50 to support this podcast but ONLY if you do it by using my unique referral code. I moved to Octopus recently and had been putting it off for ages, but I kicked myself for not doing it sooner, as it’s literally a 5 minute job to give them your details.
Click here: https://share.octopus.energy/free-puma-452
On today’s podcast:
- Nio officially enters Europe, ES8 on sale in Norway from July
- VW Targets 600,000 Full EVs in 2021
- Jeep Wrangler 4xe Orders Go Live in Europe
- The Audi e-tron GT now available in numerous markets
- Hyundai plans next e-GMP models by 2022 & 2024
- Volkswagen ID.4 Is Mopping Up In Europe
- World’s Top 5 EV Automotive Groups
- FIA reveals Electric GT Championship plan ahead of 2023 launch
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 6th May. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NIO OFFICIALLY ENTERS EUROPE, ES8 ON SALE IN NORWAY FROM JULY
– The ES8, on sale in China since 2018, is a seven-seat Tesla Model X rival with a combined 641bhp from its four-wheel-drive, twin-motor powertrain, and a WLTP-certified range of 310 miles. Prices will be confirmed in the coming months, ahead of customer deliveries beginning in September.
– The ES8 will be followed in Europe in 2022 by Nio’s 644bhp ET7 saloon, which claims a range of more than 621 miles with its largest battery pack, and features a raft of advanced autonomy functions.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/UapKy/
- Original Source : https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/nio-officially-enters-europe-es8-sale-norway-july
VW TARGETS 600,000 FULLY ELECTRIC CARS THIS YEAR
“Volkswagen Group raised its earnings outlook following robust first-quarter earnings, helped by a swift market recovery in China and higher demand for battery-powered vehicles. First-quarter operating profit surged to 4.8 billion euros ($5.8 billion) from 900 million euros last year, when the COVID-19 pandemic shuttered showrooms and factory floors. The operating return on sales jumped to 7.7 percent.” Writes Automotive News Europe: “Total deliveries during the first quarter jumped 21 percent to 2.43 million vehicles, mainly driven by China. Deliveries of electrified models more than doubled to 133,300 vehicles, of which 59,900 were battery-electric vehicles and the remainder plug-in hybrids.”
VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 IS MOPPING UP IN EUROPE
– The Volkswagen ID.3 seems like it just hit the market, but the attention has already shifted to the Volkswagen ID.4, and that’s because the ID.4 is mopping up in Europe (and also the only fully electric Volkswagen available in the USA).
– That standout highlight, as I’ve noted twice already, is that the Volkswagen ID.4 did very well. It had more than 4,000 sales last month in these 6 countries. That’s approximately 3,000 more than the 2nd-place Kia Niro EV.
– using data aggregated by EU-EVs from 6 countries (Norway, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, and Ireland), let’s look at April sales data.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/yo6J5/
- Original Source : https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/06/volkswagen-id-4-mopped-up-in-europe-in-april-charts/
THE AUDI E-TRON GT NOW AVAILABLE IN NUMEROUS MARKETS
– he e-tron GT is now on sale at dealerships across Europe. The fully electric Gran Turismo is available in two models, in both cases with all-wheel drive. As the Audi e-tron GT quattro2, it has a starting price of 99,800 euros in Germany. The RS e-tron GT1 is available starting at 138,200 euros.
– The cars start shipping today in the 27 EU markets as well as in the United Kingdom.
– udi is unveiling the next phase of its global brand campaign in May with the slogan “Future is an Attitude”, highlighting the trail the brand with the four rings is blazing into the future of sustainable premium mobility.
– The extremely successful Audi e-tron and e-tron Sportback models recorded year-over-year growth of 79.5 percent last year, with 47,324 units delivered to customers. Globally, the Audi e-tron is the best-selling electric vehicle offered by a German premium manufacturer; in Norway, it was even the best-selling model overall in 2020.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/Gp2Yu/
- Original Source : https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/press-releases/the-audi-e-tron-gt-a-gran-turismo-unlike-any-other-now-available-in-numerous-markets-13948
WORKHORSE PARTNERS WITH CATL FOR BATTERIES
– Workhorse Group Inc. (NASDAQ: WKHS) (“Workhorse” or “the Company”), an American technology company focused on providing sustainable and cost-effective drone-integrated electric vehicles to the last mile delivery sector, announced today that it has entered into a supply agreement with Coulomb Solutions, Inc. (“CSI”), the North American distributor of Contemporary Amperex Technology Co., Limited (“CATL”) Commercial Vehicle Battery Systems, to provide battery systems for their best-in-class electric delivery vehicles.
– CSI recently completed the validation of a new 120 kilowatt-hour (“kWh”) Lithium-Iron Phosphate battery system in Workhorse’s C-1000 delivery platform and will be providing production quantities starting in May 2021.
– CATL is the largest EV battery manufacturer in the world with over 60 Gigawatt hours (“GWh”) of current production capacity
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/y9v88/
- Original Source : https://ir.workhorse.com/news-events/press-releases/detail/172/workhorse-partners-with-coulomb-solutions-to-supply-its
JEEP WRANGLER 4XE ORDERS GO LIVE IN EUROPE
– At home in America, the Wrangler 4xe is already trying to prove that electricity is not only good for the environment but also for off-roading
– across the pond in Europe, where the SUV’s order books just opened ahead of the official arrival scheduled for later this month (May 21st).
– the Euro-spec Wrangler 4xe will be able to cover up to 50 km (31 miles) in full-electric mode, according to the slightly more permissive WLTP homologation cycle. It remains to be seen what happens in the real world
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/g0hTo5/
- Original Source : https://www.autoevolution.com/news/jeep-wrangler-4xe-orders-go-live-in-europe-along-with-higher-31-mile-ev-range-160676.html
HYUNDAI PLANS NEXT E-GMP MODELS BY 2022 & 2024
– According to a report in South Korean media, Hyundai is already planning its second electric model based on the E-GMP after the Ioniq 5 for next year.
– the second model based on the E-GMP platform is to be the Ioniq 6
– In the run-up to the premiere of the Ioniq 5, the Hyundai design team said they wanted to give each E-GMP model its own character.
– The Ioniq 7 is then to follow in early 2024. This is supposed to be a “larger SUV”.
– In total, Hyundai has announced its intention to bring twelve BEV models to market by 2025.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/z83xS/
- Original Source : https://www.electrive.com/2021/05/03/hyundai-plans-next-e-gmp-models-by-2022-2024/
WORLD’S TOP 5 EV AUTOMOTIVE GROUPS RANKED BY SALES: Q1 2021
– t’s time to take a look at the plug-in electric car sales (and battery-electric car sales specifically) from the perspective of the top automotive groups.
According to EV Sales Blog, almost 1.13 million plug-in cars were sold in the first quarter of 2021 and over 66% of them were battery-electric.
– Plug-in car sales in Q1 2021:
Tesla: 184,500 (16% share vs 19%)
SAIC: 145,034 (13% share vs 4%)
Volkswagen Group: 130,563 (12% share vs 13%)
BMW Group: 77,873 (7% share)
Stellantis: 66,613 (6% share)
– All-electric car sales in Q1 2021:
Tesla: 184,500 (25% share vs 29%)
SAIC: 124,922 (17% share vs 11%)
Volkswagen Group: 63,085 (8% share vs 11%)
BYD: 38,826 (5% share vs 6%)
Stellantis: 35,450 (5% share)
Top 5 total: 446,783 (60.1% share)others: 296,513 (39.9% share)Total: 743,296
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/A62tB/
- Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/505585/world-top-oem-sales-q12021/?utm_source=RSS&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=RSS-all-articles
FIA REVEALS ELECTRIC GT CHAMPIONSHIP PLAN AHEAD OF 2023 LAUNCH
– A new FIA Electric GT Championship promoted by Eurosport will kick off in 2023 using the rules unveiled by the governing body last month.
– The FIA has revealed the name, timeline and a format for its new electric-vehicle GT series at the same time as announcing that global media group Discovery Inc had been awarded a long-term contract of unspecified length to promote the series through its Eurosport Events subsidiary. It follows the announcement of the main principles of the technical regulations for the FIA’s electric-vehicle category two weeks ago, which did not specify a name for the series or a date for its introduction.
– The expectation is that the series will expand into the USA in season two, according to the FIA’s statement on Thursday.
– There will be two races over the course of each two-day meeting held on permanent circuits for the cars built to regulations framed to enable them to run in the same performance window as conventionally-powered GT3 machinery.
– Electric GT joins a Eurosport portfolio of FIA-sanctioned series that includes the WTCR Touring Car World Cup, the European Rally Championship and, from next year, the eTouring Car World Cup, which will grow out of the new-for-2021 PURE ETCR series.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/30hD3/
- Original Source : https://www.autosport.com/general/news/fia-reveals-electric-gt-championship-plan-ahead-of-2023-launch/6503347/
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
EVs are connected cars. But, how much data are you willing to give up, and what are willing to receive in return?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – firstname.lastname@example.org
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI (PREMIUM PARTNER)
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST (PREMIUM PARTNER)
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL (PREMIUM PARTNER)
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK (PREMIUM PARTNER)
eMOBILITY NORWAY HTTPS://WWW.EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM/ (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN (PARTNER)
GARETH HAMER (PARTNER)
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES (PARTNER)
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE (PARTNER)
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
RAJEEV NARAYAN (PARTNER)
IAIN SEAR (PARTNER)
ADRIAN BOND (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALAN SHEDD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEX BANAHENE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDERS HOVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ANDREA JEFFERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ANDREW GREEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASEER KHALID (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BLUNDERBUSS JONES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
BRIAN THOMPSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRUCE BOHANNAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHARLES HALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRISTOPHER BARTH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID MOORE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DC EV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ED CORTREEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ERIC HANSEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ERU KYEYUNE-NYOMBI (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GENE RUBIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
HEDLEY WRIGHT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
HEINRICH LIESNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
IAN GRIFFITHS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JAMES STORR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JIM MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN SCHROEDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON MANCHAK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JUAN GONZALEZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LEE BROWN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTY YOUNG (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIA OPPELSTRUP (PARTNER)
MIKE WINTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NATHAN GORE-BROWN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NATHANIEL FREEDMAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
OHAD ASTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GORTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHIL MOUCHET (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIP TRAUTMAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAYMOND ROWLEDGE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENE KEEMIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROBERT GRACE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STEPHEN PENN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STEVE JOHN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THOMAS J. THIAS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
TODD OAKES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE PLUGSEEKER – EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: https://www.myev.com