Wanna split £100? You get £50 free AND save money on 100% green electricity by moving to Octopus Energy. Plus I get £50 to support this podcast but ONLY if you do it by using my unique referral code. I moved to Octopus recently and had been putting it off for ages, but I kicked myself for not doing it sooner, as it’s literally a 5 minute job to give them your details.
Click here: https://share.octopus.energy/free-puma-452
On today’s podcast:
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupé Electric Drive
- Rivian To Partner With Nationwide For Insurance Program
- How Biden Plans to Build 500 EV Charging Stations
- Biden’s first 100 days have already electrified the auto industry
- Electric cars to store renewables in the Netherlands
- 2021 Porsche Taycan Turbo Versions Get Higher EPA Range Ratings
- EV charging network ChargePoint now supports Android Auto
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 2nd May. It’s Martyn Lee here and I go through every EV story so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to two new Patreon Producers! ALEX EFTIMIE and BETTY MCDANIEL
2013 MERCEDES-BENZ SLS AMG COUPÉ ELECTRIC DRIVE
– Unveiled at the Paris Motor Show in 2012 with deliveries beginning in 2013, it was anticipated that less than 100 examples would be built, but in reality production was far fewer. This car is beleived to be one of just nine examples completed.
– Powered by four electric motors at each corner bringing a total output of 750 PS (740 bhp) and 1,000 NM of torque, the SLS AMG Electric Drive’s transmission allows for seamless four-wheel drive performance. The car’s lithium-ion battery pack at full charge could provide a range of 250 km.
– Paddle shifters behind the steering wheel allow the driver to control the level of regenerative braking available, meaning that one-pedal driving can be achieved with ease.
– Believed to be one of only nine examples produced, these cars provided a rare glimpse into the future of the sports car, a future which is fast approaching, and as such the SLS AMG Electric Drive will continue to be highly sought after by collectors for years to come as it has set the standard for others to follow.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/KCWMV/
- Original Source : https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/private-sales/r5104-2013-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-coup%C3%A9-electric-drive/1090213
RIVIAN TO PARTNER WITH NATIONWIDE FOR INSURANCE PROGRAM
– Rivian’s plans to sell insurance for its electric vehicles are now taking shape, with new details released about data-driven coverage and a partnership with established underwriter Nationwide.
– Rivian recently announced plans to sell insurance products as part of its digital ordering process. The company says by linking insurance to the vehicle itself, it will be able to diagnose issues more quickly and comprehensively, and even remotely. And those who use Rivian’s mid-level autonomous driving tool can get discounts on their insurance rates.
– Rivian Insurance will be available to customers in 40 states initially; insurance is generally regulated state-by-state. The policies will be underwritten by third-party carriers.
– The reason it’s possible is because of telematics, also known as usage-based insurance (UBI), a trend that’s grown within the insurance business for the past decade or so. That’s technology inside of a car that can track how fast you accelerate, how hard you brake—in other words, how risky you are. With super-connected vehicles like Rivian’s, there is simply more data available.
– Every Rivian vehicle is equipped with the company’s Driver+ suite of safety technology. Rivian Insurance customers will automatically receive a Driver+ rate reduction, in addition to any discounts for using the feature that automatically steers and adjusts speed on the highway.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/18Nal/
- Original Source : https://www.wglt.org/post/rivian-partner-nationwide-insurance-program#stream/0
HOW BIDEN PLANS TO BUILD 500 EV CHARGING STATIONS
– President Joe Biden has proposed spending at least $15 billion to begin rolling out electric vehicle charging stations, with the goal of reaching 500,000 charging stations nationwide by 2030.
– he roll-out of chargers should match consumer adoption to moderate demand and allow time to expand the electric grid
– Dan Ives, an analyst at Wedbush Securities: “In order for EVs to be more pervasive, it’s going to have to be gas station-like, where you can find an EV charging station with significant capacity” almost anywhere.
– The Biden administration has frequently likened the president’s infrastructure proposal and the EV initiatives within it to the roll out of the interstate highway system in the 1950s in scope and potential influence, which cost about $1.1 trillion in today’s dollars ($114 billion at the time).The gas stations that dot the interstates and reach out into some of the most remote areas of the country didn’t come all at once — they tracked with demand for cars and trucks as it rose over the 20th century, experts say.
– There are about 102,000 public charging outlets across about 42,000 charging stations nationwide today, according to the Department of Energy, with a third concentrated in California
– However, investment from utilities, auto companies and private charging companies won’t be enough without some government help, said charging specialists in each industry — both to support the market expansion and to ensure it happens quickly and equitably, as the administration has said it hopes to do.It’s also crucial in order to be competitive with China, experts say, which has dramatically outpaced both the U.S. and Europe in publicly accessible chargers.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/auPnO/
- Original Source : https://www.govtech.com/transportation/biden-plans-to-build-500-ev-charging-stations
BIDEN’S FIRST 100 DAYS HAVE ALREADY ELECTRIFIED THE AUTO INDUSTRY
– An electric federal fleet
– EV tax credit renewal nabs attention
– $100 billion for direct EV rebates
– Half a million EV chargers
– Remaking America’s EV supply chain
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/PsbqE/
- Original Source : https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/biden-first-100-days-auto-industry-ev-emissions/?utm_source=reddit.com
ELECTRIC CARS TO STORE RENEWABLES IN THE NETHERLANDS
– We Drive Solar and Hyundai are planning to set up a network of 500 bi-directional EV recharging stations in the city and region of Utrecht. Through this technology, electric cars may contribute to the storage of renewable energy in a country affected by grid constraints.
– The stations will be initially tested on Hyundai’s Ioniq 5 car, which is equipped with bi-directional charging technology.
– The project includes standardization and embedding of protocols, software-mediated control of charging stations, a scientific validation of the proposed “bi-directional ecosystem,” the large scale application of bidirectional shared cars in a green urban district, and coupling car-sharing reservations with bidirectional charging.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/1cS1S/
- Original Source : https://www.pv-magazine.com/2021/04/29/electric-cars-to-store-renewables-in-the-netherlands/
EV CHARGING NETWORK CHARGEPOINT NOW SUPPORTS ANDROID AUTO
– Android phone users will be able to find, navigate to, and start charging from a ChargePoint charging station from their car’s infotainment screen, without having to pick up their phone. Support for Android Auto follows the addition of CarPlay support in November last year.
– the Android Auto experience lets you view a map with nearby charging stations, check status, filter by metrics like availability and cost, and then start a charging session once you arrive. The in-vehicle app can also be set to notify the driver once a busy charging station becomes available.
– USA, Canada, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and the UK.
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/3ruEy/
- Original Source : https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/29/22409310/chargepoint-android-auto-electric-vehicle-charging-network
2021 PORSCHE TAYCAN TURBO VERSIONS GET HIGHER EPA RANGE RATINGS
– The 2021 model year versions of the top-of-the-line Porsche Taycan Turbo and Turbo S received noticeably better EPA range and efficiency ratings.
However, the gain of roughly 10 miles or 5% is still too small to offset the difference to real-world results, which are usually significantly higher than EPA.
– Taycan Turbo is 212 miles (341 km), which is 11 miles, or 5.5% higher than before.
– Porsche Taycan Turbo S, the EPA Combined range increased by 9 miles or 4.7% compared to 2020 MY, to 201 miles (323 km)
- Highlighted Source : https://share.getliner.com/oxe0V/
- Original Source : https://insideevs.com/news/504432/2021-porsche-taycan-turbo-epa/
What’s the best consumer education for EVs in 2021?
Here in the U.S., and presumably in Europe, the majority of car buyers have never driven an EV or may not even know anyone with an EV. Therefore an EV does not even come to mind when shopping for a car. A great many of these buyers may be best served by an EV and don’t even know it. The most effective consumer education for them is free test drives that are heavily promoted, as once driven, EVs tend to sell themselves.
e-Tripping with Adam Gebbett
Regarding question of the week. I would love to educate every new ev buyer that you do not need 500 miles of range. Why people bang on about range in the U.K. is a mystery. Bladder 100 miles, service station every 40 miles.
Great to see you back on YouTube. Love the addition of screen shots. Getting people in to electric vehicles is key. All loan vehicles while your ICE is in for a service should be electric cars to help adoption.
most effective consumer education imho starts with butts in seat . I haven’t had one passenger that wasn’t immediately intrigued and asking questions. Those that are really interested do more reading after that , ask follow up questions etc.
The best way to reach people who do not drive EVs is to give them a test drive, any Dealer who is serious should use EVs as service loaners for their customers. You can watch as many YouTube videos as you like but real experience is the only way to find out.
To get more bums in the seats of EV is by word of mouth and seeing for them selves how great they are.
Thinking about the most effective consumer education method, I think it has to come from dealerships. Commercials and news stories are great but people are physically buying their new cars at dealerships. The sales teams and management need to be pro EV, showcase the cars on showroom floors and encourage customers to give them a test drive. Bums in seats as you say. Currently from sales teams there is still a lot of apprehension and doubt whether EV’s are serious cars worth buying.
Here in Ontario Canada, we have Plug ‘n Drive, (About Plug’n Drive – Plug’n Drive (plugndrive.ca)) an organization that provides free EV test drives and consumer education. It’s non-profit funded by Ontario Power Generation and other companies with a stake in EV success. But this is something that governments and auto companies should be mandating world-wide. Sample a typical EV experience first and “get it” – then worry about what the best brand and model is.
I drive for Uber with my Bolt. And I get a LOT of questions about it from people. In fact, I think I’ve convinced at least 5 people to make a trip to the chevy dealer to check one out…especially with how cheap they are going right now. I should work out a deal with a local Denver dealer to get me a commission 😉
By far the best way to educate and help people understand and want to buy EVs is getting “butts in seats”. The Space Coast EV Drivers do public ride and drive events like National Drive Electric Week and Drive Electric Earth Day (at least we did before COVID) and we always had the same reaction. Before the ride they were just on the fence or totally in the dark. After they took a ride or drive they always either 1) said their next car would be electric or 2) went and got an EV the very next day. We can try to explain EVs to people but they’re a little like The Matrix, you can’t explain what it is – you have to be shown!
The thing I find works best when explaining the benefits of an EV is this. Say a gallon of diesel costs £6, I can charge my EV for 10p a kilowatt off peak and if I drive it very carefully I can get 5 miles to the kilowatt. So on a purley cost basis that’s 300 to the gallon. You can hear the penny drop when you tell people that.
JAN AT EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
The answer depends on where in the process the buyer is. The best way to convince people that EVs are great cars and much better than the traditional ones is to let them drive an EV for a day or two.
Your podcast is perfect for giving people the understanding that they should test an EV and understand how many cars they now can choose from.
After purchasing an EV, I also think it important to give new EV drivers a high-quality introduction to use and charging. It is so much information out there, but it both fragmented and not too reliable. Good education should be a part of the deal. Hopefully, my eMobility Academy can be of help when it goes online soon. First in Norwegian, then in English later this year.
QUESTION OF THE WEEK WITH EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM
EVs are connected cars. But, how much data are you willing to give up, and what are willing to receive in return?
Email me your thoughts and I’ll read them out on Sunday – email@example.com
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
PORSCHE OF THE VILLAGE CINCINNATI (PREMIUM PARTNER)
AUDI CINCINNATI EAST (PREMIUM PARTNER)
VOLVO CARS CINCINNATI EAST (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DEREK REILLY FROM THE EV REVIEW IRELAND YOUTUBE CHANNEL (PREMIUM PARTNER)
RICHARD AT RSEV.CO.UK – FOR BUYING AND SELLING EVS IN THE UK (PREMIUM PARTNER)
eMOBILITY NORWAY HTTPS://WWW.EMOBILITYNORWAY.COM/ (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID AND LISA ALLEN (PARTNER)
GARETH HAMER (PARTNER)
BOB BOOTHBY FROM MILLBROOK COTTAGES – 5* GOLD SELF CATERING COTTAGES (PARTNER)
DARIN MCLESKEY FROM DENOVO REAL ESTATE (PARTNER)
JUKKA KUKONEN FROM WWW.SHIFT2ELECTRIC.COM
RAJEEV NARAYAN (PARTNER)
IAIN SEAR (PARTNER)
ADRIAN BOND (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALAN SHEDD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEX BANAHENE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDERS HOVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ANDREA JEFFERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ANDREW GREEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ANDY NANCARROW AND LILIAN KASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASEER KHALID (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BLUNDERBUSS JONES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER
BRIAN THOMPSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRUCE BOHANNAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHARLES HALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRISTOPHER BARTH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
COLIN HENNESSY AND CAMBSEV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID MOORE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DC EV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ED CORTREEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ERIC HANSEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ERU KYEYUNE-NYOMBI (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GENE RUBIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
HEDLEY WRIGHT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
HEINRICH LIESNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
IAN GRIFFITHS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
IAN (WATTIE) WATKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JAMES STORR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JAVIER CARMELO DÍAZ PÉREZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JIM MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN SCHROEDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON MANCHAK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JUAN GONZALEZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LEE BROWN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTY YOUNG (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIA OPPELSTRUP (PARTNER)
MIKE WINTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NATHAN GORE-BROWN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NATHANIEL FREEDMAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
OHAD ASTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GORTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETER & DEE ROBERTS FROM OXON EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHIL MOUCHET (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIP TRAUTMAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAYMOND ROWLEDGE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENE KEEMIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROB FROM THE RSTHINKS EV CHANNEL ON YOUTUBE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROBERT GRACE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STEPHEN PENN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STEVE JOHN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THOMAS J. THIAS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
TODD OAKES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE PLUGSEEKER – EV YOUTUBE CHANNEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: https://www.myev.com