Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Sunday 28th April 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I could find today to save you time.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
And thank you to another Patreon supporter who has moved up from Producer to EXECUTIVE PRODUCER LEO
And thank you to Sascha Pallenberg who was my original PARTNER of the show and supported me for over 6 months, and came to the end of his support (for now!).
INCOMING DAIMLER CEO WEIGHS BILLIONS IN COST CUTS
- “As Daimler’s incoming CEO, Ola Källenius will soon be making decisions on where to take an ax to costs as the automaker adjusts to the headwinds of trade tensions, plateauing sales and a pricey electrification strategy. The new boss reportedly is looking for about $6.75 billion in cost savings and efficiency gains by 2021 at Mercedes-Benz car plants.” reports Automotive News today.
- From Ola himself: “There’s no two ways about it, the world is going toward zero-emission in the long term. For us, in the next five to 10 years, battery electric vehicles play an absolutely crucial role to go there. Our strategy toward electrification is based upon three pillars. Every single combustion engine that we will have will get a 48-volt mild hybrid system. Then, we will have plug-in hybrids in every segment. And we will have a full family of EQ battery electric vehicles. We don’t have [full hybrid vehicles] in the planning right now. We believe that plug-in hybrid at this point is a better use for the customer because you can truly drive electric up to a certain distance. The cost structure of electric vehicles in this first generation or two are definitely higher than what we used to have on the combustion [engine] side. It’s one of the main tasks as we scale and further develop the technology, primarily on the battery side, to drive that cost down. That will take many years. It is our goal to be a profitable business. The business case with the electric vehicles has to be profitable, as well.”
WATCH TESLA ROADSTER RACE FERRARI FORMULA 1 CAR: SIMULATED VIDEO
- Eric Loveday for InsideEVs.com: “The next-generation Tesla Roadster will supposedly boast a range of some 621 miles or more, but it’s not just its insane range that makes the electric supercar so impressive. In fact, some would argue that its range figure takes a back seat to its insane level of performance. When first revealed, Tesla released these specs on the new Roadster:
- 7,376 pound-feet of torque
- 0-60 mph in 1.9 seconds, making it the quickest production car in the world.
- 0-100 mph in 4.2 seconds
- Quarter mile in 8.8 seconds, which beats every other production car.
- 250+ mph top speed”
- “Now those are truly some impressive stats, but is the new Roadster fast enough to outpace a Ferrari Formula One race car? In the real world, probably not (though the Roadster does have a slight 0-60 MPH edge over an F1 car, which typically hits 60 in 2.1 to 2.7 seconds), but in the world of flash/CGI, anything is possible.”
RICH (RE)BUILDS A TESLA GARAGE
- “Rich Benoit runs the popular YouTube channel, Rich Rebuilds, where he takes broken-down Teslas and brings them back to life, documenting his journey each step of the way. Now he and his business partner, a former parts manager at Tesla, are opening up a repair shop to help stem some of the demand for Tesla service. Tesla customers have often complained about having to wait weeks to get their cars serviced.”
TESLA MODEL Y GOES ON DISPLAY
- “Tesla recently had a Model Y on display for employees to see outside of its seat factory at 901 Page Street in Fremont, California, roughly 3 miles from the company’s main factory. In photos posted by multiple Reddit users, it appears the same deep blue metallic Model Y driven on stage and used for test drives at the car’s unveiling event last month was available in the building’s parking lot for a closer look.” writes Dacia for Teslarati: “The vehicle on display is outfitted with chrome-delete trim, a look that’s popular with the Tesla aftermarket community yet a standard factory offering for the Model Y. Additionally, the all-electric crossover is seen with Tesla Sport Wheels in the color black. Tesla offers Sport Wheels in silver as a $1,500 option in the Model 3 and Model Y online configurator.”
BOATHOUSE CHARGES YOUR E-BOAT USING SOLAR/WIND
- “Lithuania’s VM Productions, who developed the VM800 and VM900 all-electric fishing trawlers (8m and 9m respectively), are now testing an electric boat house/garage that has integrated wind turbines and solar panels to charge the batteries of any electric boat or car.” reports PlugBoats: “Sarunas Danilavicius, Export Manager at the company, told news agency BNS Lithuania that the boathouse will have 12 wind turbines. the wind turbines are vertical-axis and make up a sort of ‘second storey’ of the building surrounded by screening instead of solid walls. Solar panels sit on top of the roof of the whole structure.”
VOLKSWAGEN I.D. R PREPS FOR NURBURGRING RECORD
- “Volkswagen has completed its first testing at the Nurburgring Nordschleife with its Volkswagen I.D. R racer ahead of an official attempt to break the lap record for an electric car. As part of the extensive testing, Romain Dumas once again took the wheel to hone the battery-powered Volkswagen I.D. R on the tortuous 20.8km-long track.” reports Motoring.com.au: “Already a four-time Nurburgring N24 winner, Dumas used his experience to adapt the Volkswagen I.D. R with a team of engineers to modify and evolve the former Pikes Peak winner to the bumpy, uneven surface of the former F1 track. To steal the lap record for a pure-electric car, the Volkswagen I.D. R racer must beat the 6 minutes and 45.90 seconds set by the NIO EP9 two years ago.>
QUESTION OF THE WEEK
Jon Brooks / Kents EVs
The daftest thing I’ve ever heard regarding EV’s came from a small time legacy auto maker. They claimed their hybrids are self charging! I mean, come on….what utter drivel :0)
One of the saddest and potentially harmful misconceptions about EVs that I have seen is that their manufacturing and operational life cycle are more harmful to the environment than diesel or other ICE vehicles. This misconception has been given further life by flawed studies that incorrectly overestimate the lifetime mileage of ICE vehicles and underestimate mileage of EVs and completely discount battery recycling, and dropping cobalt concentrations, as well as ignoring the thousands of deaths per year attributable to NOX, and other particulates. Moreover, the growth of electric ride sharing, over traditional car ownership by many, will increase the number of miles driven by vehicle, and further limiting environmental impact.
Hi, Martyn. The craziest thing I’ve heard is that a husband told his wife that EVs are okay so long as she was prepared to deal with the nuclear radiation from the batteries in the floor! 😱
Gday again from Brissy Martyn, A middle aged lady, a friend of a friend, who just happens to own a Prius, asked me “Don’t you wish your PHEV was self charging like my car. Yep! They walk among us. She was serious. Oh dear! I was initially quite speechless, but then as politely as I could, “educated her”. It just reinforces why I hate those Toyota ads.
I actually had someone ask if you could wash it. I guess they thought they would get shocked if they got the car wet then touched it. I assured them they were perfectly safe to wash.
DAVE @ EVSMILES.CO.UK
I exhibit my car at quite a few UK car shows and events trying help raise awareness and smash some myths about EVs and what they are really like to own and drive. On this occasion it was a classic car show with the excellent ElectrAA group.
Some guys dressed as fake American police officers wander up to my car and chatting amongst themselves one of them says, “the trouble with these EVs is that they’re all powered by diesel generators….1000s of them all of the country so they’re worse than normal cars by a long way”
To be honest I was completely lost for words! Most of the normal myths are easy to answer but this just took the biscuit. They also had the police car to go with the outfits so I had to give bonus points for that, sadly it wasn’t a Tesla
Question… What is an electic vehicle?
whats the most stupid thingI’ve heard about electric vehicles…… My father in law always says ‘but wheres it charged from…coal power stations….and he is convinced that the batteries only last a few years and then are thrown into landfill…..my god it winds me up
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
Is there a future for independent servicing in a world of EVs?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 217 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
PAUL O’CONNER (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEX BANAHENE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ANDERS HOVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BARRY PENISTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN THOMPSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG COLES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT FROM YORKSHIRE EV CLUB (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID BARKMAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DERRICK LIKES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ENRICO STEPHAN-SCHILOW (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREEJOULE AKA JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JAMES STORR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JILL SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON AKA BEARDY MCBEARDFACE FROM KENT EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JUAN GONZALEZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KIRIVAN YAM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LEO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LESZEK GRZYL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATT PISCIONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIA OPPELSTRUP (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MICHAEL PASTRONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE WINTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NATHAN GORE-BROWN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
OHAD ASTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHIL MOUCHET (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJEEV NARAYAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RALPH JENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROB COOLING / HTTP://WWW.APPLEDRIVING.CO.UK/ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARI KANGASOJA (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STEVE JOHN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STUART HANNAH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
TIM GUTTERIDGE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 456 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: