Can You Help Me Fight The Fossils? Read More About Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 25th March 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I could find today, and picked out the best ones to save you time.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA UNLOCKS V2 SUPERCHARGER 145 KW RATE VIA NEW SOFTWARE UPDATE
- “Tesla is now applying its innovative over-the-air software update ability to enable 145 kW-charging for the Model 3. We’re looking at an increase in charging rate of upwards of some 20 percent. Keep in mind, this is prior to the mass implementation of Tesla’s sought-after V3 (250 kW) Superchargers coming online and expanding incrementally.” Says Steven Loveday for InsideEVs today: According to Tesla, as reported by Teslarati, the V2 Supercharging software upgrade will push the company’s current Supercharger rate from 120 kW to 145 kW. Tesla is now working on a global level to push its current systems to accept this update.
- Recent images shared on Reddit show that updated Model 3 vehicles see a 147 kW charge (some 600 miles per hour) on today’s technology. This means that the cars can charge at that rate prior to the implementation of V3 Superchargers.”
FORD F-150 EV SPIED TRYING TO HIDE IT’S ELECTRIC
- “New spy shots provide a fresh look at the development of the Ford F-150 EV. At first glance, you might suspect this is just a normal F-150, but these shots reveal some of the EV’s special details.” According to Chris Heck or Motor1.com: “At the back, the Blue Oval’s engineers want to fool you by mounting an exhaust on the passenger side. However, these photos reveal it’s actually just a pipe without a connection to anything, in addition to the picture catching the truck’s independent rear suspension layout.
- Our spies also note that the F-150 EV rides slightly higher than the standard model to fit the batteries underneath the cab. The extra height doesn’t look too substantial over the existing pickup, though. Specs for the electric F-150 aren’t yet available. However, the test mules in these spy photos are reportedly very early prototypes for developing the necessary technology and don’t reflect what Ford intends to sell to consumers when this vehicle finally comes to market. “
TESLA MODEL 3 DRIVERS REACH OVER 1 BILLION ELECTRIC MILES IN RECORD TIME
- “After just over a year since starting deliveries, Tesla Model 3 drivers have already reached over 1 billion electric miles in record time.” Writes Fred Lambert for Electrek today: “We were able to track the progress through the Tesla road trip page and Tesla confirmed that its global fleet reached over 5 billion electric miles driven in July 2017. Tesla removed the counter from the Tesla road trip page and we haven’t been able to track the fleet mileage since, but a source familiar with the data point confirmed to Electrek that the fleet surpassed 9 billion total miles at the end of last year.”
- Over 1 billion miles have been driven with Model 3 – thank you to all the amazing Tesla owners who got us here! http://tesla.com/3
- 4:40 PM – Mar 23, 2019
TESLA INCREASES MODEL Y PRICES BY $1,000, PLUS 3% INCREASE ON INVENTORY CARS
- Tesla Model Y Design Studio lists three versions of the Model Y and prices all of them were increased by $1,000 (compared to initial pricing revealed at the unveiling) to stay in line with the rest of the lineup.
- The new prices in the U.S. are:
- Performance – $61,000 (Fall 2020)
- Long Range AWD – $52,000 (Fall 2020)
- Long Range RWD – $48,000 (Fall 2020)
- At the current stage, we don’t know yet whether the Standard battery version (not yet listed in the shop) will be increased by $1,000 from $39,000 to $40,000 too.
- It’s expected that previously placed orders for the Model Y (before the price bump) will be honored. Anyways, with at least 1.5 years to first deliveries, prices will most likely change a few more times.
FIRST UK ORDER FOR THE ELECTRIC PEUGEOT E-208 PLACED ON THE SAME DAY AS ITS PUBLIC DEBUT
- Car buyers usually wait until they can drive a new model before signing on the dotted line but one PEUGEOT customer couldn’t even wait to see the all-new e-208 before placing a deposit.
- On the same day the all-new PEUGEOT e-208 made its public world debut at the Geneva Motor Show, Neal Street paid a deposit at Truscott’s PEUGEOT Barnstable to secure one of the very first vehicles to arrive in the UK. He wanted to be at the front of the queue and placed his order before official order books opened.
- Street, a self-confessed car enthusiast, wasn’t put off by the fact PEUGEOT is yet to confirm UK pricing.
- As part of PEUGEOT’s ambition to provide an electrified version of every model in its range by 2023, the 100% electric all-new e-208 is powered by a 100kW motor and features a 50kWh battery, delivering a zero-emission range of up to 211 miles (WLTP) from a full charge.
BMW X1 XDRIVE25LE DEBUTS IN CHINA WITH 68 MILES OF ELECTRIC RANGE
- “After launching a plug-in hybrid version of the X1 in China back in September 2016, BMW is now introducing a revised variant of the vehicle which carries the X1 xDrive25Le name. Oddly enough, the Bavarian company is not ready to release official images of the PHEV and says it will show the car at the upcoming Auto Shanghai 2019 next month.” Reports Anthony Carr for Motor1.com US today: “The PHEV X1 hides a new package of lithium-ion high-voltage batteries with increased capacity and a nickel, cobalt, and manganese ratio of 8:1:1, which means the use of nickel is expanded seriously. This increases the density and also leads to smaller usage of rare earth material like the cobalt. It is based on the LWB model and features a smart battery technology which allows for a range of 68 miles (110 kilometers) on purely electric energy, but bear in mind this is measured by the overly optimistic NEDC cycle. “
JAGUAR J-PACE TO ARRIVE IN 2021 AS FLAGSHIP SUV
- Hilton Holloway for Autocar today says: “Jaguar’s upcoming J-Pace flagship SUV will be one of the first electrified models built on an all-new Jaguar Land Rover platform – and a fully electric version is also likely to be made, according to sources. The J-Pace is thought to be just over two years from launch and will arrive at around the same time as the fifth-generation Range Rover.”
DACIA DUSTER EV MULE SPIED HINTING AT BRAND’S ELECTRIC FUTURE
- And finally something affordable spotted by Motor1.co. UK spy shots: This is an all-electric mule from Renault’s affordable brand, Dacia, and it is wearing the body of a first-gen Duster SUV.
- Renault is one of the most experienced mainstream manufacturers in the industry when it comes to electrification and it shouldn’t come as a surprise that its sister brand from Romania will benefit from the knowledge. Our spy photographers tell us these shots come from a frozen lake close to the Arctic Circle, where Renault Sport is actually working on a new contender for the Andros Trophy ice series. The competition is set to receive an all-electric class as a top tier in 2020 and, apparently, this car will soon morph into Dacia’s race car for the series.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
If EV’s are going to cost more than ICE cars in the short term, how much more of a premium are you willing to pay (if any?)
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 207 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
JON BEARDY MCBEARDFACE / KENT EVs (PARTNER)
PAUL O’CONNER (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEX BANAHENE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BARRY PENISTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN THOMPSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG / CONFT.SHOW PODCAST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG COLES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID BARKMAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ENRICO STEPHAN-SCHILOW (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JAMES STORR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JILL SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JUAN GONZALEZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LESZEK GRZYL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATT PISCIONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MICHAEL PASTRONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE WINTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NATHAN GORE-BROWN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHIL MOUCHET (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJEEV NARAYAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RALPH JENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROB COOLING / HTTP://WWW.APPLEDRIVING.CO.UK/ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STEVE JOHN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STUART HANNAH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 424 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: