Can You Help Me Fight The Fossils? Read More About Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 14th February 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I can find today, and picked out the ones I think you need to know about.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Hello to our newest Patreon members…EXECUTIVE PRODUCER CRAIG COLES and JUAN GONZALEZ
Thank you for your email Marco Mascarello who sent me a picture as he walked past a Tesla Model 3 at Schipol Airport. He said it was a US version without the CCS plug.
Hi to Karthic who has noted that I-PACE deliveries have gone down from 3000 to 1000 in January in the Netherlands.
And a note for European listeners to the podcast. I was playing on the Renault Zoe configurator and the Q90 has been discontinued, that was the version which charged at 43kW. So now the only option for a new one is the R110 – either in Dynamique trim or S Trim. As I always say, if you want a new or used one check out Will Adams at DSG in Morecambe in the UK, and for used ones look up EV Nick who knows them inside out.
WHY TESLA’S MODEL X WAS THE FIRST SUV TO RECEIVE A PERFECT CRASH TEST RATING
- “Unlike most SUVs which tend to roll over with ease, the Model X continues to return to an upright position. Here’s why the Model X was the first SUV to receive a perfect crash test rating. When it comes to vehicle safety, size matters. So it’s not uncommon for SUVs to be generally safer than your standard sedan. However, they tend to have one big shortcoming. Rollovers.” says Business Insider: “Since the Model X is an electric vehicle, there’s no need for mechanical components in the hood of the car. This allows for a much larger crumple zone to absorb energy from a frontal crash. It also has specially-made side sills that absorb energy in addition to its rigid side pillars. These features help reduce the force exerted on passengers and increases their protection. “
FRENCH ELECTRIC CAR MARKET GREW 138% IN JANUARY
- “The French plug-in car market took home 4,210 registrations in January — +78% year over year (YoY). Fully electric models jumped 138%, their highest growth rate in over 2 years, while plug-in hybrids remained in the positive as well — +14%.” reports Jose Pontes for Clean Technica: “Looking at January best sellers, the Renault Zoe registration uptick continues (+136% YoY!). With 1,496 units, it landed #29 on the mainstream market. But the real events were the Kia Niro EV (149 units) and the Hyundai Kona EV (147) performances, both winning top 10 spots.”
- In the comments Maarten says: “Renault looks like it is starting to produce the Zoe in volume, thanks to the factory upgrade last autumn (220/day => 440/day). Next month start of Model 3 deliveries, market going crazy”
SUBARU’S FIRST EUROPEAN HYBRIDS WILL BE SHOWN IN GENEVA
- “Subaru is adding electrification to its iconic boxer engines and will show off the technology for the first time at this year’s Geneva Motor Show.” reports the excellent Motor1.com: “Last year, Subaru introduced the Crosstrek Hybrid. The plug-in hybrid is currently only available in the U.S. Two new models equipped with “‘e-Boxer” engines will be presented at the show – it’s not clear what they will be yet. Subaru also hasn’t revealed whether the cars will be plug-in hybrids or a full hybrid system.”
DHL LAUNCHES ELECTRIC DELIVERY VEHICLES ACROSS NEW ZEALAND
- From listener Rakesh Shah a story about DHL deliveries.
- “Delivery provider DHL Express has added three electric vehicles to its New Zealand fleet, with the aim of reducing all logistics-related emissions to net zero by 2050.” reports InsideRetail: “The vehicles, which will be used for pick-up and delivery services across Auckland, Christchurch and Wellington, are expected to reduce CO2 emissions by about 80 per cent. The vehicles have been partly funded by the New Zealand Government through its Low Emissions Vehicles Contestables Fund, which seeks to expand the use of electric vehicles and other low emissions technology in the transport space.”
DRUID TRIES TO CAST A SPELL WITH NEW SORCERER MOTORCYCLES
- Sabrina at Ride Apart.com brings up the next story: “New-to-the-market Druid launched its very first motorcycle—the Sorcerer, built on the Prophet platform – The model will be available in a hybrid variant, half electric magic, half petrol-fuelled brawn, as well as in a fully electric version. According to the company’s Website, all we know about the Sorcerer XEV is that it will produce 150 horsepower.
PRESIDENT MACRON TO UNVEIL PLAN TO GIVE EUROPE’S ELECTRIC BATTERY INDUSTRY A JOLT
- “France will invest 700 million euros ($790 million) over the next five years into projects to boost the European electric car battery industry and reduce its carmakers’ reliance on dominant Asian rivals, said French presidency officials.” according to Business Insider: “In a speech to the Paris-based International Organisation of Motor Vehicle Manufacturers later on Wednesday, President Emmanuel Macron will unveil his strategy to help the French car industry fend off competition on electric vehicles (EV) and autonomous cars from Asian and U.S. tech giants. The plan comes after Germany in November set aside 1 billion euros to support battery cell production to reduce dependence on Asian suppliers and shore up jobs at home that may be at risk from the shift away from combustion engines. French officials said the two European countries will work on Franco-German initiatives, at a time when their countries’ carmakers are waking up to the threats posed from relying on Chinese suppliers in an age of international trade wars.”
HONDA REVEALS FIRST GLIMPSE AT INTERIOR OF ELECTRIC VEHICLE PROTOTYPE BOUND FOR GENEVA
- From Honda: “Honda has revealed an interior image of its new compact electric vehicle prototype. The interior is designed to create a warm and engaging atmosphere inspired by the Urban EV Concept launched at 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show. The driver interface shown in the image features a full-width dashboard with clean design elements and intuitive user focused technology. The prototype version of the electric vehicle will be unveiled on 5 March at 2019 Geneva Motor Show.”
- CNET says: “While the gauge cluster only shows battery-charging status as we zoom in, it’s the right side of the dashboard that deserves our attention. The style of the system is similar to Honda’s current telematics, featuring gray tiles dashed with color to help delineate content. But unlike current Honda infotainment displays, this one is large enough to have tiles on both the left and right sides. The teaser shows off the EV menus, including charge status and charge scheduling, as well as schedules for heating or cooling the cabin prior to departure. It’s faint, but you can also see a set of climate controls just underneath what few physical buttons exist on the dashboard, and they look pretty close to the controls seen in other modern Hondas. The buttons above that control the infotainment system, and yes, a volume knob is accounted for. There’s also a single button that appears to put the car in Park, but I don’t see any button for Drive.”
THE USED CARS THAT WILL SAVE YOU THE MOST OVER NEW CARS IN 2019
- “More often than not a pre-owned model will offer more value than a new one, since it’s already taken the depreciation hit. While some cars don’t quite suffer from the same drop as others, a new study from iSeeCars.com reveals the vehicles with the most dramatic savings versus their new counterparts in 2019.” according to Jalopnik today: “A used Nissan Leaf will be, on average, 40 percent cheaper with an average savings of $13,524.”
ABB SPEEDS UP POLISH SUSTAINABLE TRANSPORT WITH SUPPLY OF DC FAST CHARGERS
- PKN ORLEN has signed a general agreement for the supply of ABB’s next generation DC fast charging stations for electric cars – Terra 54.
- The order is part of a project, which will see the installation of 150 fast charging stations for EVs located on selected transit routes across Poland and within its largest cities. Under the agreement, ABB is to supply its latest multi-standard fast charger, The petrol stations will receive Terra 54 chargers with power of 50 kW, The charger is triple-system, which means that it supports all the most popular types of adapters in Europe: CHAdeMO, CCS, Type 2 and is compatible with any EV.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
Are you part of a EV club or association online or physically? Do you think there’s more reason for electric car owners to be part of community compared to gas cars? Or not at all?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 183 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
JON BEARDY MCBEARDFACE (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ALEXANDER FRANK @ https://www.youtube.com/c/alexsuniverse42
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN THOMPSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG / CONFT.SHOW PODCAST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG COLES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CRAIG ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JUAN GONZALEZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATT PISCIONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MICHAEL PASTRONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STUART HANNAH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 387 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, I’ll catch you tomorrow and remember…there’s no such thing as a self-charging hybrid.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: