Can You Help Me Fight The Fossils? Read More About Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 9th February 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I can find today, and picked out the ones I think you need to know about.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
AUDI CONTINUE ADVERTISING E-TRON
- I’m not a fan of ads, but in my Twitter timeline I was very happy to see Audi spending money on social media with a 12 second video of the Audi e-tron in action. “Join the electric revolution. Order your #etron now” The link goes to beta.audi.co.uk/electric-car/e-tron.html with the heading “Electric Goes Audi”. On the page the sections are The e-tron, Charging, Grants and Benefits, Finance and Service Plans, Technology, Pod Point and Formula E. THe e-tron from £71,490. The e-tron launch edition £82,240. “The special Launch Edition adds even more allure to the already stylish e-tron. 21″ alloy wheels, black styling details and full body-coloured bumpers give the car an immediate and dramatic presence. Many advanced features, such as Matrix LED headlights, come as standard; others include the unique virtual door mirrors, Adaptive Cruise Assist and Comfort remote preconditioning. And for an extra sense of light and spaciousness, there’s a panoramic glass sunroof that displays the skies to all occupants. Image includes optional Catalunya red, metallic paint and black roof rails.”
CCS COMBO CHARGES TESLA MODEL 3
- The very first European-spec Model 3’s in Europe are in the hands of customers and immediately they headed not to Superchargers, but to the High Powered Chargers like Fastned and IONITY. Now some of them can’t charge at the full 350kW because they’re waiting for liquid cooled cables but they’ll certainly do 150kW I gather.
- This is interesting because Tesla has always has its own connector but in Europe they’re fitting the CCS Combo plug. So no more CHAdeMO adapter to purchase. The previous spec of CCS was limited to 200amps but the new protocol CCS2.0 allows for a lot more juice, and that’s what I mean by High Powered Charger.
- And so the Netherlands-based Fastned, who tweeted a graphic with the charge speed they had recorded on their system. The MOdel 3 went straight to 125kW and stayed there to 50% state of charge, dropped down to 50kW at 75% and gradually went down from there and it tapered off.
- What I thought was interesting was that at 50% it drops off quite quickly. But is that unfair, because my experience of Supercharger a Model S it doesn’t hit peak speed for that long, but the taper off seems more gentle. Let me know!
(Explanation of why charge speed tapers for beginners)
ELON FLIES TO EUROPE
- And isn’t it weird what the internet can show us. As I was working today I saw tweets from people with plane tracker apps saying Elon Musk had taken off in his Gulfstream jet and was headed East, crossing the Atlantic. It soon because clear he was heading to Europe. It’s interesting because he asks for his callsign to be blocked so this was an aviation expert who worked out the route of the N628TS. He landed around 1715 local time in Ostend, near to where the cars were delivered to Zeebrugge.
- Not only is he very hands on with any issues, but also it’s fair that over the weekend he sees for himself the logistics on the ground.
RENAULT ZOE TO GET CCS COMBO AND 22KW ONBOARD AC
- A story I came across because I follow Eric Feunteun, he’s the Electric Vehicle Program Director for Renault: “The European passenger plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) market ended the year on a positive note, registering a near record 40,500 units in December with the 2018 count ending at a record 386,000 deliveries” according to CleanTechnica. The Zoe was the December winner with 5,382 in the month, well ahead of the LEAF, the I-PACE and any Tesla. On the year 2018 the Zoe sold 38,538. “This positive score is the result of LG providing more batteries to the French carmaker, thanks to the ramp up of its European factory in Wroclaw, Poland. Without the battery bottleneck, we should finally see the real demand for the Zoe.”
- And late last night I also found an article in French, so I was relying on Google Translate with this one. It’s on largus.fr. The new Zoe is being revealed at the Geneva show soon, and will be based on the new Clio. Inside the main dash will be 7 or 10 inches, with the 10 inch dash also showing the sat nav just like the latest VW system. THen the centre screen will be 7″ or 9.3″, and have all the controls including climate. There’s adaptive cruise and Level 2 self driving, so Lane Keep Assist and Traffic Jam system.
- The battery was upgraded in 2017 to a 41kWh. That stays although more power will be on tap, but they add CCS Combo plug AND 22kW onboard AC charging. That’s the perfect combo. DC Fast Charging or AC Semi-Fast. One of my listeners Mike Winter explained it’s because of the sheer amount of 22kW posts in France. Production starts in Q2 and marketed at the end of Summer. Production will be 440 a day.
POLESTAR 1 SPIED PLAYING ON A FROZEN LAKE
- “Polestar’s big debut on the automotive market will soon become a reality. The brand from Sweden is putting the finishing touches on the Polestar 1 which should go into mass production before the end of 2019. Still, apparently, there are several things that need to be refined before the sports coupe reaches the production phase.” reports Anthony Karr for Motor1.com: “[Spy photographs show] a prototype of the car doing some high-speed tests on a frozen lake somewhere in Sweden. Almost every part of this trial car looks ready to be put on the assembly lines but the test drivers are probably gathering more data about the vehicle’s behavior under certain conditions.”
ALL-NEW 2020 KIA SOUL ELECTRIC SPOTTED IN NEW COLORS
- InsideEVs is talking about the new Kia Soul EV: “When it debuted in LA, the all-new Kia Soul EV was seen in just a color or two, but now we get to see the long-range electric in a plethora of new hues. These new images, captured at the Kia Irvine site, show us what the Soul EV looks like in colors other than that neon green. There’s a graphite Soul EV with a tan roof. A black version with a red roof and more.”
- From Kia: The next generation Kia Soul EV celebrated its world premiere at the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show. One of the most upbeat urban compact crossovers is back with even more appeal & upgrades. The vehicle will be powered by a next-generation, state-of-the-art liquid-cooled lithium-ion polymer 64 kWh battery. That’s the same as what’s found in the Kia Niro EV, which goes some 301 miles per charge (WLTP) or an estimated 260 miles EPA. Considering that the current Soul EV, with its 30-kWh battery pack, is EPA-rated at 111 miles, we figure this 2020 Soul EV, with 64-kWh on board, will travel close to 240 miles per charge, maybe even more. Sadly, since its Kia, this will be a limited offering in the U.S., so availability will be an issue. The 2020 Kia Soul EV is set to utilize a 201 horsepower electric motor, delivering 291 lb-ft of torque. However, the new battery is currently being tested to ascertain precise EPA-estimated range. Results are expected early in 2019 and will be announced at a later date.”
- The curb weight of the Soul EV is a lot less than the eNiro, so that range might be good!
TESLA AUTOPILOT APPROVED EUROPE
- “The Tesla Model 3 was officially approved for sale in Europe, but as it turns out the original Type Approval from RDW in the Netherlands doesn’t include the Tesla Autopilot” reported InsideEVs this morning, but then added: “Tesla has reportedly gained European approval for Autopilot.” The approval for the feature arrived early on Friday from the Netherlands Vehicle Authority RDW.
- “The first Model 3 delivered to customers in Europe has disabled Autopilot feature, which according to Tesla is expected to be enabled in Europe next week, when a separate approval will be issued.The slight delay between car sales and enabling Autopilot is apparently caused by the requirement to additionally test the Autopilot for Model 3 (it has different hardware than Autopilot in Model S and Model X).”
- Meanwhile: “Tesla has opted to offer Enhanced Autopilot as standard for the electric sedan. As could be seen in Tesla’s order pages for China, the offer appears to be available only for Model 3 purchases. Pages for the Model S and X still list the driver-assist suite as a 46,300 yuan (around $6,800) addition.” according to Simon at Teslarati: “The inclusion of Enhanced Autopilot is available for all Model 3 orders in the country, meaning even reservations for the Long Range RWD Model 3 –currently the most affordable Tesla available in China — include the driver-assist suite for free. “
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
“Which incentives, beside those already available where you live, do want to see implemented by auto makers or dealers to help promote EVs?”
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 178 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
JON BEARDY MCBEARDFACE (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN THOMPSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG / CONFT.SHOW PODCAST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATT PISCIONE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
STUART HANNAH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 382 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: