Can You Help Me Fight The Fossils? Read More About Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 30th January 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I can find today, and picked out the ones I think you need to know about.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HIGH POWER CHARGERS BACK ONLINE!
- Fastned: “Good news! We switched on the CCS outlets of our 175 kW chargers again. Tests by HUBER+SUHNER confirm that the liquid cooled cables meet all safety standards. We will remove the tape and stickers from the cables today. If you are at a station that still has tape around the CCS outlet, feel free to give us a call if you want to help us out removing it.”
- Electrify America: no statement I’ve seen but I was sent a Twitter note to say they’re online too
TESLA EXPECTS SMALL PROFIT
- CNBC reports on the Tesla Q4 2018 earnings ahead of the call: “Musk said preliminary results show the company made a profit on an unadjusted basis during the fourth quarter of 2018, but it was less than the previous three months. In the first quarter, higher-priced Model 3s to Europe and Asia “will hopefully allow us, with great difficulty, effort and some luck, to target a tiny profit,” Musk said in a Jan. 18 company update.”
ASPARK OWL ELECTRIC HYPERCAR TARGETS NÜRBURGRING LAP RECORD
- “You might remember the Aspark Owl electric hypercar from its debut at the 2017 Frankfurt Motor Show. Development is still underway on the Japanese-built machine, and the company now says that a run at the Nürburgring record could be under consideration.” says Chris Bruce, Editor for Motor1.com: “[The] Aspark Owl performances are allowing us to aim [for] the Nürburgring record,” a company spokesperson told Top Gear. Aspark’s testing already shows that the Owl is capable of reaching 62 miles per hour (100 kilometers per hour) in 1.9 seconds. The company’s official specs show the hypercar being able to reach 174 mph (280 kph). At a price of 3.1 million euros ($3.5 million) and production of just 50 units, the Owl will be a very rare machine, and the company will deliver the first one in 2020.”
NEVS AND KOENIGSEGG FORM A STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIP
- Swedish car makers NEVS AB and Koenigsegg AB are together forming a strategic partnership, enabling the development of parallel vehicle models in slightly higher volumes with emphasis on electrification, as well as strengthening growth opportunities in the hyper car segment.
- A reminder NEVS came from ashes of Saab, and Koenigsegg was founded in 1994 by Christian von Koenigsegg, with the mission to create the perfect sports car
- NEVS is making a capital injection of EUR 150 million, thereby taking a 20 percent minority stake in Koenigsegg’s parent company.
- Additionally, the parties are forming a joint venture to expand into new market segments where NEVS AB is contributing USD 150 million in starting capital for a 65 percent stake and Koenigsegg obtains 35 percent by contributing primarily with intellectual property, technology licenses, and product design.
- Alongside NEVS capacity for production in Trollhättan and China, NEVS through its majority owner Evergrande, has a wide distribution platform and channels through ownership in one of China’s largest car retailers. Last week, Evergrande announced the acquisition of 58.07 percent in automobile battery maker Shanghai CENAT New Energy Co Ltd, a $156 million deal.
MITSUBISHI TO DEBUT ENGELBERG TOURER ELECTRIC SUV CONCEPT IN GENEVA
- “Mitsubishi will reveal at the 89th Geneva International Motor Show on March 5th its all-new Engelberg Tourer Concept.” reports Mark Kane at InsideEVs.com: “The short note about the car says that Engelberg Tourer Concept will bring: more SUV, more EV, more technology and more style (named after a beautiful; rugged Alpine town with a history of sporting success). It’s highly probable that the Engelberg Tourer Concept is actually a new plug-in hybrid, which is bigger and has more all-electric range than the current aging Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.”
- Top Gear said: “Lagonda Vision
- Geneva 2018: Aston Valkryrie AMR Pro and the Lagonda Vision
- Given the success of the Outlander PHEV, it’s no surprise that Mitsubishi are trying to cash-in on the electric SUV trend, although it’s currently unclear as to whether this will also be a plug-in hybrid or if it’ll go fully electric. We’ll have to wait until 5 March to find that out, when more technical details will be announced and we’ll meet Engelberg in the flesh.”
UK ISP IS TURNING BROADBAND INFRASTRUCTURE INTO EV CHARGING STATIONS
- “Liberty Global is testing a secondary use for its broadband cabinets, the streetside boxes that link internet connections from exchanges to homes and businesses. It’s harnessing the infrastructure of its Virgin Media subsidiary to build electric vehicle charging stations in the UK.” according to Engadget: “Liberty hopes to have up to six trial charging points set up by mid-April. It’s also planning tests in Belgium through its Telenet network. Last year, Deutsche Telekom revealed plans to turn 12,000 cabinets into charging points.”
AUDI E-TRON IS QUIETEST EV IN BJØRN NYLAND’S TESTS
- InsideEVs has been keeping an eye on Bjorn Nylands e-tron review videos: “Audi e-tron turns out to be the quietest electric car ever tested by Bjørn Nyland, averaging just 63 dB. The silence, even at high speeds, was earlier signaled by the Autogefühl review, which clearly said that it’s better than in the case of Tesla. Bjorn revealed that e-tron is around 2-3 dB below the second best Tesla Model X and Jaguar I-PACE, despite not necessarily having the quietest winter tires on it, at all speed levels”
IN SHANGHAI, EVERY IKEA DELIVERY IS NOW MADE WITH AN ELECTRIC VEHICLE
- “In 2018, Ingka Group–the parent company of Ikea–made a bold pledge: By 2025, the company will deliver every item worldwide by electric vehicle. It started with a closer-range target of accomplishing the full switch to EVs in five cities–New York, Los Angeles, Paris, Amsterdam, and Shanghai–by 2020.” writes Fast Compnay: “As of January 23, it’s already reached that goal in Shanghai. The company announced that in the inner city of Shanghai, all home deliveries are now carried out by electric vehicle.”
LOTUS AND WILLIAMS TEAM UP FOR RUMORED ELECTRIC HYPERCAR
- “Sports car maker Lotus and Williams Advanced Engineering have officially announced a new strategic partnership which will allow the two companies to share “research and development into advanced propulsion technologies.” ” says Anthony Karr at Motor1.com: “Autocar claims the Norfolk-based brand is actually developing a hybrid hypercar codenamed Omega. Lotus is believed to be leading the development to ensure the car carries the brand’s DNA and meets its criteria for lightness. Williams will contribute its technical expertise in electric systems to the project and will probably supply the batteries. It is believed the Omega hypercar will use “at least two electric motors” in an all-wheel-drive powertrain configuration. Advanced battery technology should provide a range of more than 250 miles (402 kilometers) between two charges with a fast charging option available.”
MORE TESLOOP HIGH MILEAGAE
- “Tesloop’s Model X, named Deuxy, just hit the 350,000 mile threshold, and founder Haydn Sonnad took to YouTube to share some lessons learned on the road to that impressive milestone. Battery degradation had been of particular importance in Tesloop’s vehicles because they not only put a lot of miles on their vehicles, but did so by loading their vehicles up every day and running routes back to back, with Supercharging sessions in between to fill the batteries back up.” reports Kyle for CleanTechnica: “After putting over 350,000 miles on Deuxy, Tesloop recorded a 13% degradation in the capacity of the battery — compared to the range per charge it had when new. That translates to a range of 215 miles / 346 kilometers at a 95% charge today compared to 247 miles / 398 kilometers at 95% when it was new.”
TOYOTA ADMITS TO LOSING PREVIOUSLY LOYAL CUSTOMERS TO TESLA
- And finally from Steven at InsideEVs: “According to Automotive News, Toyota’s defection rate is around nine percent. Interestingly, CEO of Toyota Motor North America Jim Lentz admitted that half of those previously loyal customers are moving to Tesla. Nonetheless, according to a report by Tesla, the Toyota Prius tops the list of non-Tesla cars that are traded in by Model 3 buyers. It will be interesting to see what the future brings for Toyota.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What new car announcement would do the most for EV publicity – an 250mph EV hypercar, a go-anywhere truck or a truly affordable small family car?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 178 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
JON BEARDY MCBEARDFACE (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG / CONFT.SHOW PODCAST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 372 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: