Can You Help Me Fight The Fossils? Read More About Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 29th January 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I can find today, and picked out the ones I think you need to know about.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
NISSAN LEAF SOFTWARE UPDATE LETTER
“Thank you for your continued patience whilst I have been investigating this for you. I have confirmed that as of today we have finalised and released a bulletin to our dealership network with instructions on how to complete a software update for your Nissan Leaf.
The software developed will ensure the maximisation if the quick charge performance whilst also ensuring the ongoing protection of the battery. The software has now been rolled out to all of our Nissan franchised dealership with in the UK and can now be applied to all suitable vehicles.
If you would like to make contact with your local Nissan dealership they will be able to book your vehicle in to have this software applied.
If you have any questions or need any help in getting your vehicle booked in please do not hesitate to contact me.
Joseph says “This is presumably 5SH2A to 5SH2C update. I called my local dealership and they confirmed they have received the bulletin but their system has not yet received the software for the update but this is likely to happen in the next day or so.”
HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC GETS PRICED IN U.S: SEL, LIMITED, ULTIMATE
- “Hyundai has officially announced the pricing breakdowns for the three versions of Kona Electric to be sold in the U.S.” says Eric Loveday at InsideEVs.com.
- SEL – $36,450 (equivalent to Bolt)
- Limited – $41,150
- Ultimate – $44,650 (cooled seats, HUD)
ARE TESLA VEHICLES ALREADY SHIPPING EQUIPPED WITH AUTOPILOT 3.0?
- Staying with InsideEVs: “YouTuber Erik Strait (DAErik) is wrapped up in all sorts of Tesla-related business. One of his tasks is tracking Tesla inventory. With the help of his friend David, he discovered the Tesla Autopilot 2.0 update ahead of its official launch.” reports Steven Loveday: “According to Erik and David, they claim they have an early indication that Tesla Autopilot 3.0 (or really Autopilot 4.0) is on the way. Erik and David believe the feature may be shipping on some cars already. Now, they’ve stumbled upon an AP4 code, which they believe may apply to the upcoming Autopilot 3.0 technology. The feature, they believe, will use additional hardware that will eventually work to provide Full Self-Driving features. This timing would make sense since Tesla could assure that the new hardware and update is already present in vehicles shipped to Europe. Additionally, the company’s earnings call is this week, so a big announcement would be advantageous for sure.”
NEW 2019 RENAULT CLIO GOES UPMARKET IN FIRST INTERIOR IMAGES
- “Renault has revealed the interior of its new, fifth-generation Clio, with the supermini’s exterior design due to be unveiled tomorrow ” says Rachael Burgess for Autocar: “The Clio will distinguish itself from rivals by being one of the most technologically advanced models in its class when it launches at the Geneva motor show. the Clio will be available with a 9.3in portrait-angled touchscreen, said to be inspired by that of the much larger and pricier Espace (not sold in the UK). There’s also a 10.0in digital instrument binnacle that can display sat-nav instructions. Last year, then Renault boss Carlos Ghosn announced the French car maker would launch eight electric vehicles in the next five years. However, a fully electric variant of the Clio is not expected to be one of them. That’s because Renault executives are worried it would steal sales from its existing Zoe electric supermini. The Zoe was the best-selling electric car in Europe in 2017.”
PORSCHE ANNOUNCES THREE YEARS OF ELECTRIFY AMERICA CHARGING FOR TAYCAN OWNERS
- Porsche Cars North America, Inc. (PCNA) today announced an agreement with Electrify America, LLC to provide the first all-electric Porsche, the Taycan, with three years of charging at Electrify America public stations across the country. This charging benefit will be included in the price of the Taycan. In addition, Porsche U.S. dealers will install their own fast-charge kiosks. Porsche will also offer home charging technology. Taken together, these three components will make up a comprehensive power network for the Taycan when it launches late this year.
- Electrify America highway and metro stations, and many Porsche dealers, will offer DC fast charging at rates up to 350 kilowatts. Using 800 volt technology and the combined charging system (CCS) plug, the Taycan will be able to add more than 60 miles of range in four minutes – the fastest in today’s automotive market.
- Taycan buyers will receive three years of unlimited 30-minute charging at Electrify America locations, comprised of more than 300 highway stations in 42 states as well as more than 180 sites in 17 metro areas. Each location will have an average of five charging dispensers, with some having as many as 10.
- The Electrify America highway stations will have a minimum of two 350 kW chargers per site, with additional chargers delivering up to 150kW. The highway stations will be spaced along multiple routes and no more than 120 miles from each other. Nationally, the distance between highway stations will average 70 miles. Charging dispensers at metro locations will be able to charge at speeds up to 150 kW.
PON ELECTRIFIES CATERPILLAR DIGGER CAT 323F
- “Norway’s Pon Equipment joint hands with Caterpillar to electrify their digger Cat 323F. The electric excavator is currently biting its time testing but is set to show at a fair this May.” reports Electrive: “Codenamed Z-line (for zero emission), this version of the Cat 323F is a 25 ton machine that handles itself all-electrically.
- While the machine looks like a regular Cat 323F, it got green stickers that qualifies it as the eco option. It obviously got no air filter and no exhaust pad. Inside, the entire engine has been replaced with an electric motor, controllers and heavy duty batteries. The Li-ion battery is said to be large enough for 5 – 7 hours in operation and charges quickly as there is the possibility of fast charging at a 400 or 1000V power supply. It took the Pon engineers eleven months to electrify the heavy-duty machine during which they worked closely with Caterpillar. They made adjustments to the software and some to the excavator.”
EUROPCAR MOBILITY GROUP ADDS 85 ZOES TO ITS UK CAR-SHARING
- The UK’s leading low-emission car sharing club has reaffirmed the suitability of the all-electric Renault ZOE for its growing operation as its parent company, Europcar Mobility Group, orders a further 85 of the award-winning supermini.
- E-Car Club – ecarclub.co.uk – has taken a number of units, supporting its expansion across the UK, from East London to St Andrews, Scotland. Through the innovative scheme, E-Car Club provides the public with a low-cost, hassle-free and environmentally friendly alternative to private car ownership and customers can hire a Renault ZOE from only £4.50 per hour, including power and insurance.
- The majority of E-Car Club’s newly acquired, 40 kWh Renault ZOEs, will be used for a brand new scheme in North Solihull, which sees the popular EV available to members at nine locations throughout the region’s residential areas.
- Local drivers can hire any of the new ZOEs, one of which has been wrapped in a distinctive ‘ECO Jungle’ livery, by simply signing up online. Completely self-service, bookings can be made via the E-Car Club website 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with customers gaining access to a ZOE simply by scanning their membership card against the windscreen. Drivers then unplug the ZOE from the onsite charger to experience all the benefits of all-electric motoring.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What new car announcement would do the most for EV publicity – an 250mph EV hypercar, a go-anywhere truck or a truly affordable small family car?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 178 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
JON BEARDY MCBEARDFACE (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BORISLAV BORISOV (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG / CONFT.SHOW PODCAST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN SANT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVE DEWSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID FINCH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DIRK RUTSATZ (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JEFF ERBES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON KNODEL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LAURENCE D ALLEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MIKE ROGERS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SEIKI PAYNE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
WALTER MACVANE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 371 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: