Can you help me fight the fossils? Read more about Patreon here EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 8th January 2019. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through every EV story I can find today, and picked out the ones I think you need to know about.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to a new Producer of the podcast CHARLES MUGAN thank you being part of the Patreon family.
ELON SPEAKS TO CHINESE MEDIA AFTER GIGAFACTORY 3 GROUNDBREAKING CEREMONY
- Elon Musk flew to Shanghai yesterday to lead the groundbreaking ceremony for Gigafactory 3, which is the next step in the Tesla story and, whilst I’m not one for hyperbole, could be their biggest move to date. Here are some clips of Elon talking to KNews and uploaded by Vincent Yu. Elon Musk spoke to KNews and paid a huge compliment to how quickly things can be built, including a story about a Supercharging station in China…
- He spoke about the lessons learned, and which models will be made in China…
- He spoke about the need to buy a car now, and now wait for any possible price reductions which may or may not come…
- And finally he spoke about his passion for bring young engineers up through the company, and maybe even be CEO one day. Watch out for that maybe he thrown in there, he’s not ready to slow down yet…
Now, the next five stories all came from podcast listeners. I’m more than happy to research this show but I’m not complaining that you’re doing the work for me! Phil Roberts from Electric Future sent this.
VOLKSWAGEN TO BECOME A POWER SUPPLIER
- The Volkswagen Group is establishing a Group company for energy offerings and charging solutions – underlining its strategic goal of becoming a leading provider of sustainable mobility.
- The new Volkswagen Group company would also offer to customers outside the Group green power from renewable sources that was 100 percent CO2-neutral. They said: “Our mission is to take e-mobility out of its niche and to place it firmly in the mainstream. The name “Elli” stands for “electric life”, because we intend to enable a lifestyle that fully integrates the electric car in people’s everyday lives. This approach could be compared with the use of a mobile phone, which is taken for granted nowadays. We will be creating a seamless, sustainable ecosystem that addresses the main applications and provides answers to all the energy questions raised by electric car users and fleet operators.”
- The company will gradually be building up a portfolio of intelligent power tariffs, Wallboxes and charging stations as well as an IT-based energy management system.
- @home – charging at home: Smart energy management and photovoltaics
- A high-end DC charging station with 22 kW can make the electric car an energy storage system and part of the smart grid of the future thanks to bidirectional charging and connection to an energy management system. It will be possible to store power generated by customers’ photovoltaic systems in the car and to use it later in the household – or to feed it to the power grid in order to earn revenue.
- @destination – charging at the destination: employee parking spaces and Volkswagen partners. This will include the expansion of charging stations at Volkswagen’s own employee car parks from 1,000 today to more than 5,000 by 2020 and the equipment of all 4,000 dealers and service partners in the EU with several charging possibilities, also by 2020.
- @destination – charging at the destination: fleet customers and chain outlets. Elli is in discussions concerning cooperation for the installation of charging stations at customer car parks of major chains.
- Charging on the road. Finally, as a mobile service provider, Elli will also make charging in public spaces a thoroughly positive experience thanks to convenient digital payment using a charging card with tailor-made tariffs.
Andrew Cunningham sent me this…
SOLAREDGE MAKES MAJOR E-MOBILITY PLAY WITH SMRE ACQUISITION
- “Solar inverter manufacturer SolarEdge has made a major play for the burgeoning e-mobility market, acquiring Italian integrated EV firm SMRE.” says Liam Stoke for Current News: “SolarEdge, which is among the world’s largest manufacturers of inverters used with solar PV and battery storage, announced the acquisition this morning in a deal which values SMRE at around US$150 million (£117 million).”
The Plugseeker sent me this…
ATLIS XT ELECTRIC PICKUP TRUCK REVEALED
- “Atlis Motor Vehicle company is a new-ish name on the scene, but its soon to break out after this news. Atlis says its XT electric pickup truck is among the most capable trucks to ever be revealed. According to the automaker, the truck can be configured to go up to 500 miles on electric by selecting the largest battery pack.” reports Eric Loveday for InsdieEVs.com: “In addition to the long range, the towing capacity is impressive at up to 35,000 pounds. The payload is listed at up to 5,000 pounds, which is equally high. There’s a standard crew cab with a shorter bed that offers standard air suspension (independent at all four corners) with 12 inches of ground clearance. But for more extreme use, there’s a special “off-road” version with long travel suspension and 15 inches of clearance. As for performance, 0 to 60 MPH is achieved in 5 seconds. However, even a fully loaded Atlis XT can still accelerate from 0 to 60 MPH in just 18 seconds. Atlis uses what it calls its XP platform on the XT. This setup utilizes 4-independent electric motors, one for each well. So, it’s 4WD then.”
Glen Mason sent me this…
HARLEY DAVIDSON REVEALS MORE ABOUT ITS PUSH INTO ELECTRIC VEHICLES
- “Harley Davidson released new specs for its electric motorcycle and pulled the covers off the concept designs for its electric bicycle and scooter as the company’s push into electrifying its product line continues.” according to TechCrunch: “And the company showed that going electric doesn’t mean losing any of the muscle that’s intrinsic to the Harley Davidson chrome-wheeled, fuel-injected brand. In fact, the 2019 EV debut can out-accelerate any of the company’s gas motorcycles, according to specs released today at CES. The battery powered LiveWire will do 0-60 mph in just over 3 seconds, go 110 miles on a charge, and be available in US dealerships in August for a $29,799 MSRP.”
Chris McKenzie sent me this…
NEW SUB-£20K VOLKSWAGEN BABY ELECTRIC SUV ON THE WAY
- “Auto Express understands that a new, undisclosed member of the I.D. family is being planned by executives in Wolfsburg.” reports AutoExpress: ” A small, T-Cross-sized all-electric SUV is being considered, and it could go on sale with a price tag of less than £20,000 early next decade. Our exclusive images preview how it could look. With a footprint similar to that of the brand’s newest and smallest SUV, the I.D. mini crossover would be a little over four metres in length. However, the battery-electric powertrain and packaging made possible by the MEB platform under the skin mean that interior space could surpass that of the larger T-Roc. It’s understood that the entry-level mini-SUV would be assembled at the group’s facility in Emden, in north-west Germany, taking over the production line currently used to manufacture the Passat family saloon and Estate.”
JAGUAR I-PACE = #1 VEHICLE (NOT JUST EV) IN NETHERLANDS IN DECEMBER 2018
- CleanTechnica heads to the Netherlands: “The Jaguar I-PACE was the best selling vehicle (of any type) in December, while the Tesla Model S was the #1 plug-in vehicle for all of 2018.” says Jose Pontes, about the European country with 17million population: “December had 6,232 plug-in vehicle registrations in the Netherlands, a four-fold increase compared to the same month last year and the market’s best month since December ’16. The sales total translates into a stratospheric 31% plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) share in December, pulling the 2018 PEV share to 6%. The Tesla Model S also had a shining month, and year. It scored 1,558 sales in December, while its Model X sibling won the third place of the podium with 652 deliveries. That meant both Tesla models had new record highs.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
If an ICE driver says to you they’re EV curious and asks the best thing about EVs, what is the one thing you should tell them…
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 154 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
ELECTRICMOTORING.NET (PREMIUM PARTNER)
BRAD CROSBY (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRENT KINGSFORD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRYAN YOUNG (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PETE GLASS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ZACK HURST (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 350 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: