Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 22nd December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Welcome to three new Patrons, well two and a half, ish, because Ken raised his pledge. $5 blows my mind but KEN MORRIS has doubled his support and is now an Executive Producer of the podcast. He joins fellow Executive Producer JASON FAN and supporter MICHAEL ADEY. Thank you all.
@RenaultZE – Yet another milestone reached: @Groupe_Renault has hit their goal of 200,000 #EV sold! Bravo! 👏⚡
OVO INSTALLS FIRST DOMESTIC VEHICLE-TO-GRID CHARGER IN CUSTOMER’S HOME
- Following the unveiling of the world’s first widely available, domestic vehicle-to-grid charger, at the Energy Technology Product Showcase in April, OVO can confirm it has successfully installed the first charger in a customer’s home.
HYUNDAI KONA ELECTRIC THERMAL MANAGEMENT FOR US
- “Back in October, InsideEVs broke the news that Hyundai Kona Electrics destined for the US market would not have active battery heating. This came as a surprise to many, as the Kona Electrics already delivered in Europe had the ability to warm, as well as cool the battery as needed.” reports Tom Moloughney for InsideEVs.com: “Now, our friends at Electric Revs have posted an extremely comprehensive article on the Kona’s thermal management system, and guess what, they confirm that US-destined Kona’s will NOT have the active battery warming feature found on Kona’s sent to most other regions throughout the world. They also seemed to confirm that Kona Electrics send to Canada will have the battery warming feature.”
ALDI, E.ON TO BUILD EV CHARGING STATIONS AT 123 STORES
- “The Hungarian units of German discount store chain Aldi and German utility company E.ON will install electric vehicle (EV) charging stations in the parking lots of 123 Aldi supermarkets around the country, while vowing to include charging stations at most stores built in the future.”
MAZDA NEEDS GREENER CARS TO MEET TOUGHER CO2 LIMITS, EUROPE BOSS SAYS
- “Mazda Europe plans to offer fuel-efficient full-electric and hybrid models to avoid being fined by the EU, which will make reaching CO2 emissions reduction targets tough starting in 2020. Mazda’s answers to the challenge will include a mild hybrid solutions coupled with its Skyactiv-X engine technology. Mazda Europe CEO Jeff Guyton discussed the company’s strategy with Automotive News Europe Correspondent Andrea Malan.”
FORMER NISSAN CHAIRMAN CARLOS GHOSN HAS BEEN ARRESTED, AGAIN
- Japanese prosecutors re-arrested Nissan Motor Co.’s former chairman “Carlos Ghosn on fresh, more serious allegations of financial misconduct, dealing a blow to the car titan’s efforts to end his month-long stay in jail and seek bail.” reports Reuters today: “Prosecutors also raided Ghosn’s residence in Tokyo on Friday in search of evidence, broadcaster TV Asahi reported. The Tokyo prosecutor said the fresh arrest was based on suspicions that around October 2008, Ghosn shifted personal trades to the automaker to make it responsible for 1.85 billion yen ($16.6 million) in appraisal losses, and inflicted damage on Nissan by having it deposit a total of $14.7 million on four occasions between June 2009 and March 2012 into a related bank account.”
TESLA OPENS MODEL 3 ORDERS IN SEVERAL MORE EUROPEAN MARKETS
- Electrek reports: “Several Model 3 reservation holders in Europe are reporting that Tesla invited them to configure new orders in Germany, Denmark, Finland and Italy. The Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor all-wheel-drive and the Model 3 Performance version are still the only two options available to order in Europe. In Germany, the vehicles start at €55,400 and €66,100 respectively with VAT.”
DAIMLER HANDS OVER FIRST ELECTRIC FREIGHTLINER EM2 TRUCK TO PENSKE TRUCK LEASING
- With the hand-over of the first fully electric Freightliner eM2, Daimler Trucks starts day to day-operation testing of heavy-duty and medium-duty e-trucks in the United States. On December 20th, 2018, Daimler’s subsidiary Daimler Trucks North America (DTNA) has handed over the first medium-duty Freightliner eM2 to US customer Penske Truck Leasing Corporation in Los Angeles. Penske Truck Leasing is going to operate the electric truck in local distribution traffic in the Northwest Pacific and in California.”
FORMULA E CONSIDERING INCREASED ATTACK MODE POWER
- Alejandro Agag says increased power is among the minor changes ABB FIA Formula E is considering making to the attack mode system following the 2018/19 Ad Diriyah season opener.” reports Alex Kalinauckas for Motorsport.com: “The first iteration of the attack mode, which the FIA can change for each race, was two four-minute bursts of 225kW, with the activation zone placed in a tight off-line spot at the very beginning of the Ad Diriyah circuit’s main straight.”
Download the Autosport podcast for more.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What are your desired realistic specs for a pure electric vehicle? On three topics only please. It’s RANGE, PRICE and PERFORMANCE. And they’ve got to be realistic!
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 142 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEN MORRIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JASON FAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 333 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: