Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 20th December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
TESLA ROLLS OUT CLASSIC POLE POSITION GAME
- The rollout of the latest Tesla software includes something else I didn’t mention yesterday: “Pole Position – A new version of the existing TeslAtari game based on the arcade classic, this one being set on Mars and appropriately named “Mars Madness”. A heavily digitized Falcon 9 rockets across the track before the race begins, allowing drivers to speed around and take in the regolith scenery. Watch out for billboards!” reports AstroJane for Teslarati: “Video game controllers are now compatible with TeslAtari games via front vehicle USB port.”
OPEL TURNING ITS HOMETOWN INTO ‘ELECTRIC CITY’
- Opel / Vauxhall has already announced the electrification of it’s small city car the Corsa, but now they want to turn their home town into electric city, with 1,300 charging stations over the next two years.
- “These will then be located in all districts and residential areas, on the Opel premises, on the campus of RheinMain University, in residential estates of gewobau Rüsselsheim, on the parking areas of selected supermarkets and shopping centres and on the premises of the municipal clinic (GPR). The ambitious project, for which the partners have received the official grants totalling around €12.8 million, will be realised in multiple steps by 2020.”
- Going forward, each publicly accessible charging point will service 72 inhabitants, thus creating the highest density of charging stations in relation to the number of inhabitants not only in Germany but in all of the European Union. In addition, another 400 charging points will be installed on privately owned land – 350 of these on the Opel premises. In comparison, Hamburg, currently the leading German city with regards to charging infrastructure, has 785 publically accessible charging points for its 1.8 million inhabitants (city ranking of the Federal Association of Energy and Water Industry).
2018 BROUGHT THE ELECTRIC CAR TO EVERYONE
- “On the horizon, there’s a wave of electric vehicles truly built for everyone — and that’s where real change comes from.” says Engadget who recommend you get yourself a test drive of the Chevy Bolt: “Maybe you won’t buy one now, but you’ll have the real-world experience of electric torque. That knowledge will be there when other cars that you can afford come on to the market. Oh, and there are way more cars coming on to the market.”
- “Without Tesla, this wouldn’t have happened. Or at least, not as quickly as it has. The $35,000 Model 3 might not be ready yet, but it’s spurred the introduction of other cars that hit that sweet spot. The electric-car revolution may have started years ago, but it’s taken a while to get to the point where regular people like you and I can take part.”
ELECTRIC CARS AND THE CASH ECONOMY
- “Electric vehicles are in their relative infancy, and the people who have bought them thus far tend to be (1) technologically sophisticated and (2) affluent.” reports TheStreet.com: “Ask any gasoline station attendant how many people prepay for gasoline in cash. You may not have pondered this to be a material percentage, but look at some statistics here: It seems like 15% of people pay with cash at the pump. So what does this have to do with electric cars? So far, I have yet to see an electric car charging station that takes cash. They do take anywhere from a proprietary electronic payment method (membership card) to all the regular forms of electronic payments such as debit and credit cards.”
ANDERSEN EV ANNOUNCES LAUNCH OF SMART EV CHARGER
- “A London-based electric vehicle (EV) charging manufacturer has announced the release of a smart home charger.” writes Utility Week about Andersen EV: “The company says the WiFi compatible device is able to connect to solar panels and power walls which allow the EV to become a “truly zero-carbon mode of transport. The user is able to monitor and manage their charge from a mobile or laptop via the Andersen subscription-free app, Konnect. The app gives information on current charging status, live energy usage, charge cost and allows the user to directly manage charging from solar panels. It also allows remote locking and unlocking of the unit, allowing other members of the household access even when the owner is not at home.”.
- “The A2 device also includes grid-load balancing capabilities which allows businesses and other larger venues to use information provided by the app to control how much power the charging points are drawing to avoid grid overload.”
WORLD’S FIRST ZERO-EMISSION CEMENT PLANT TAKES SHAPE IN NORWAY
- “Norway is getting closer to building the world’s first carbon-free cement plant. Cement plants are not a pretty sight and the one located in Brevik, Southern Norway, is no exception. But inside the grey walls of its office buildings, employees are quietly planning a revolution that could have worldwide repercussions. In 2013, the factory set out an ambitious goal: becoming the first zero-emission cement plant in the world.”
NORWAY COMMISSIONS ZERO-EMISSION HIGH SPEED FERRY
- Hyon AS has been awarded grants under the PILOT-E scheme for the development and realization of two maritime projects; a high-speed ferry and a short-sea freighter. The ambitions of both projects are to realize zero-emission propulsion via fuel cells using cost-efficient hydrogen produced from electrolysis based on renewable energy.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What are your desired realistic specs for a pure electric vehicle? On three topics only please. It’s RANGE, PRICE and PERFORMANCE. And they’ve got to be realistic!
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 138 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 331 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: