Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 19th December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
And two new $5 Patreon Producers! SVEIN MEDHUS and TOBIAS LJUNGGREN thank you both so much.
Thank you to Brian for recommending this show to his listeners on the TechMeme.com Ride Home podcast. Chris Higgins was in for Brian.
A mention for a pic I’ve just seen in Twitter of a Tesla Model 3 charging on a Fastned CCS charger in the Netherlands. Obviously the first question was how much juice it was drawing, but Roland van der Put the Head of Network technology for Fastned was a total pro and replied “it is an engineering prototype i understood, so any charge speed data is not yet reliable”. Fastned focus on 175kW or 350kW chargers. I would add, I HAVE seen Roland post graphs online featuring the charge curves of pre-production vehicles but, as they have a close relationship with the auto makers, i’m sure he asked permission! For instance the Audi etron charged at 150kW all the way to 80% until a big step down, then a slow taper off. In that case pulling 350 amps.
ELECTRIVE REPORT: AUDI CONFIRMS: E-TRON ELECTRIC CAR DELAYED UNTIL 2019
- “An inquiry by electrive.net finds that Audi has to postpone the start of deliveries” says Peter Schwierz for the industry newsletter: “…it is clear that there was a software problem with the e-tron, which is why the electric car has received type approval from the Federal Motor Transport Authority (KBA) later than expected, according to our inquiry. Again there had been talks of a “software change relevant to approval” before.”
- “Audi has since reached out to [electrive] to stress that the e-tron has made it through homologation just at the time of publication. Larger quantities of the electric car will still not be delivered before 2019.”
HIGH-VOLUME COMPACT ELECTRIC AUDI SUV TO LAUNCH IN 2021
- Recently on the podcast we’ve been talking about the VW Groups MEB platform, designed solely for pure electric cars and although it will debut with the ID, it will be seen across multiple brands.
- “Audi hints at another all-electric model, which should enter the market around two years from now. It will be a compact SUV (sized between the Q2 and Q3), based on Volkswagen’s MEB platform.” according to Mark Kane from InsideEVs.com: “Using the MEB should enable Audi to significantly lower the costs and make the SUV the highest volume electric vehicle for the brand. The concept version is expected in 2019, while market launch is scheduled for late 2020 with volume deliveries in 2021.”
- A recap on Audi’s electric plans…Audi e-tron (already in production, deliveries in early 2019)
- Audi e-tron Sportback (to debut in 2019)
- Audi e-tron GT concept (from late 2020)
- Audi A3-sized EV concept (to be unveiled soon)
- Audi SUV BEV based on MEB platform (from late 2020)
- 5 more SUVs
IONITY OPEN A NEW CHARGING CENTER NEARLY EVERY DAY
- IONITY, a joint venture involving a number of automotive manufacturers, is currently developing a network of quick charging facilities. A new interview with Michael Hajesch was sent to me today by VW’s press team.
- Some highlights:
- Our aim is to put in place 400 charging centers along main traffic routes in Europe. For 90 percent of the planned sites, we’ve already concluded contracts with partners. More than 30 charging centers with on average six charging stations are already operating and a further 50 or so are under construction.
- To date, we have charging centers in six European countries – Germany, Denmark, Norway, France, Switzerland and Austria. Italy, Belgium and Great Britain will follow soon.
- We use charging plugs which comply with the European CCS standard. This makes them compatible with virtually all current and future electric vehicles. Payment is made via smartphone. The customer simply scans the QR code at the charging point and enters their credit card or Paypal details on our payment page. During the introductory phase, each charge will cost 8 euros. In Great Britain, the price is 8 pounds and in Switzerland it is 8 francs.
- At the moment, however, we’re focusing on the 400 charging centers that we’d like to build along motorways. We’ll have achieved this by 2020 and will then have a presence in 24 countries.
EVGO CREATES 350KW LA-TO-VEGAS CHARGING HUB
- EVgo, the nation’s largest public EV fast charging network, has added four new EV fast chargers to the company’s Baker, CA station, enabling all-electric road trips between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
- The launch of these new chargers makes six total EVgo fast chargers under a solar-powered canopy at the World’s Tallest Thermometer, just off of I-15—two 50 kW fast chargers, new super-fast 150 kW and 175 kW chargers, and an ultra-fast 350 kW charger, all backed up with second-life batteries for energy storage.
- By offering all EV drivers both CCS and CHAdeMO options on all its chargers – fast, super-fast, and ultra-fast – EVgo’s Baker fast charging hub enables all fast charge-capable EV drivers to make the 270-mile trip between Los Angeles and Las Vegas.
- The charging station’s energy storage system utilizes second-life batteries from BMW i3s. There are four BMW i3 batteries packaged into two separate energy storage systems at the Baker station, each rated at 44 kWh.
TESLA EXTENDS REFERRAL PROGRAM
- The least surprising thing you’ll hear – Tesla has extended their referral program! Fred Lambert at Electrek reminds us: “the automaker gave buyers one more week (until December 17th) to use a referral code and get 6 months of free Supercharging with new Model S, Model X, and Model 3 orders. Now Tesla is extending the program again – this time for two weeks.”
LONDON MAYOR ANNOUNCES SCRAPPAGE SCHEME FOR MOST POLLUTING VANS
- The Mayor of London has today announced a bold new £23 million scrappage scheme to help tackle London’s air quality crisis and support micro-businesses to prepare for the Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ).
- The scheme will initially help London’s micro-businesses – defined as those with fewer than 10 employees – to switch to the cleanest vehicles, including electric. It is planned to be in place ahead of the introduction of London’s new central London ULEZ, which from 8 April 2019 will bring in charges for vehicles which do not meet stricter emission standards that apply 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Diesel vans which do not meet the latest Euro 6 standard will have to pay £12.50 a day to drive in central London.
- Under the City Hall scheme, funding would be available to scrap vans that do not comply with the new ULEZ standards, but which are driven into the ULEZ zone regularly, helping thousands of micro-business owners update their vehicles.
- Across the country, toxic air leads to 40,000 premature deaths annually, and increases the risk of asthma, cancer, dementia – imposing a financial burden of £20 billion on the economy every year.
THREE-QUARTERS OF DUTCH TESLA DRIVERS HAVE BEEN FINED FOR SPEEDING
- “Three-quarters of the Netherlands’ 9,000 Tesla drivers picked up a speeding ticket last year, the highest proportion of any car brand, according to new figures from national statistics office CBS.” reports Dutch News: “In addition, nearly two-thirds of plug-in hybrid cars had been fined at least once for speeding, showing that green car drivers are by far the most likely to go too fast on the Dutch roads”
Read more at DutchNews.nl:
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What are your desired realistic specs for a pure electric vehicle? On three topics only please. It’s RANGE, PRICE and PERFORMANCE. And they’ve got to be realistic!
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 138 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 330 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: