Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 18th December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
“SEMISOLID” LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES
- First story coming from Keith Johnston, the man behind Urban Electric and their on street pop up charging posts.
- A long-awaited battery that would cut electric-vehicle costs may finally be close.
- “24M aims to simplify the design of the lithium-ion battery. In standard versions like the ones in a Tesla vehicle, the electrodes that carry current into and out of a cell are arranged as a series of layers and then wound together into what’s known as a jelly roll. By using different materials, 24M can cast electrodes that are four to five times thicker, and immediately pair those anodes and cathodes together in a cell.” reports Techngy Review: “The lab-scale version of 24M’s batteries have an energy density between 280 and 300 watt-hours per kilogram (Wh/kg). That exceeds the roughly 250 Wh/kg of most top-end batteries now on the market. The company is also working on a different technical path that could create lithium-ion batteries capable of reaching energy densities close to 500 Wh/kg.”
2021 AUDI E-TRON GT CONCEPT DRIVE
- Autoblog have been driving the Audi etron GT Concept, so valuable is it, with two police outriders to keep the general public away from it.
- “Yes, the Porsche Taycan is the top-level iteration of this platform. But the E-Tron GT is not just an Audi; it is developed by the Audi Sport performance division, formerly known as Quattro” says Autoblog: “Sure, they agreed to keep a distance to the Porsche Taycan, which Porsche says will make 600 horsepower. So Audi Sport, for now, is settling for 590. The steering wheel has assumed a nearly hexagonal shape, the center console is elevated, the gear selector a sliding object. The paddles on the steering wheel adjust the regenerative braking rate in three levels. When it comes to market, it will crack 60 mph in less than 3.5 seconds, despite weighing more than two tons. Top speed will be governed to 149 mph, keeping a symbolic distance to Porsche’s 162 mph. The power is transmitted to all four wheels through a one-speed transmission, and torque vectoring functions optimize traction and corner turn-in. With its 800-volt system, Audi promises at least 250 miles of range.”
- As for charging i’m a fan of Miles Per Hour, as it’s a number which means something, so that would be 600. Or, 200 miles of range added in 20 mins.
KIA E-NIRO FIRST EDITION UK
- Sean Ward at The Express has reviewed the Kia eNiro: “There’s plenty of technology and safety kit as standard, as Kia is offering just one trim level from launch. The e-Niro First Edition will include a navigation system, reversing camera, DAB radio, Apple Carplay and Android Auto, air conditioning and creature comforts like heated seats. On the safety side you’ll find adaptive cruise control, automatic lights, a system that’ll keep you in your lane on the motorway and an automatic emergency braking system too. Prices start at £32,995 after a £3,500 government grant for buying a full EV, and while that’s a lot of money for any SUV it’s very much in the range you’d expect for an electric car at the moment. Kia has come a long way over the last decade, and the e-Niro is testament to that. It feels quite quick and more fun than the hybrid Niro and offers a more useful, spacious and buyer friendly proposition than so many other EVs we’ve been presented with over the last few years. The latest generation of EVs are starting to feel more and more like regular cars – and that is a very good thing indeed.”
HELPING CAR DEALERS GET THE MOST FROM EVS
- Dealers should ensure they understand the new technology and the common misconceptions that surround electric vehicles so they can provide expert advice and help sell the benefits to their customers of tomorrow. The future begins now.
- The average journey in the UK is 8.7 miles, yet most fully electric vehicles are capable of 100 miles-plus and forecast to increase to 200-plus in the early-2020s. In addition to this, we know most vehicles sit unused for long periods during the day, providing ample charging time if needed.
TESLA’S “TOILET HUMOR” MODE
- ElonTweets: “Super fun software Easter eggs coming to all Tesla S/3/X cars before the holidays! Romance mode, toilet humor & more video games.”
- With Tesla’s latest December firmware update, all Tesla Model S, X, and 3 vehicles are now able to produce flatulent noises — presumably what Musk referred to as “toilet humor” in his tweet. A video — discovered by Teslarati and uploaded to a private Model S owners group on Facebook — made the rounds showing off the new feature.
- To turn on the “Emissions Testing” — a likely reference to Volkswagen’s “dieselgate” — owners need only tap the “whoopee cushion” icon under Tesla’s brand new “Easter Egg” menu.
- One option tells the car to “fart on turn signal.” The flatulence can be adjusted from “Falcon Heavy,” and “Ludicrous Fart,” all the way to “Boring Fart” — all references to Elon Musk ventures. Drivers don’t have to take their hands off the wheel to let one rip: all it takes is a press of the scroll wheel on the left side of the steering wheel.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What are your desired realistic specs for a pure electric vehicle? On three topics only please. It’s RANGE, PRICE and PERFORMANCE. And they’ve got to be realistic!
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 137 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BOB MUIR / GINGERCOMPUTERS.COM IN DUNDEE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER / SCREENCASTSONLINE.COM (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
FREDRIK ROVIK (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JERRY ALLISON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LARS DAHLAGER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SARAH MCCANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 329 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details:
One thought on “18 Dec 2018 | “Semisolid” Lithium-Ion Batteries, Audi etron GT Concept and Advice For Car Dealers Selling EVs”
Love your podcast. You asked about realistic expections….250HP, 250 miles, $25,000US.
Comments are closed.