Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Thursday 6th December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Coming up on tomorrow’s show, the podcast I recorded today at Tesla London. It was the first day of a two-week run of the new Model 3 being on display in a showroom for the first time in the UK in London and Manchester, and available for reservation holders to see. I got to meet some lovely people who were waiting for theirs, I caught up with Robert Llewelyn from Fully Charged and had a good chat for the podcast, and this couple who had turned up early to be first in line… …hear all that tomorrow when I’ve had a chance to edit it. Podcast listener Richard Graham sent me photo’s of his trip to Manchester and it’s the same spec car. Did I finally get to the RHD model with a CCS Combo plug? You can find out tomorrow.
MODEL 3 CONFIGURATOR OPEN IN EUROPE
- But just to start with some news I was told today before it actually happened but obviously I couldn’t say anything. In Europe, but not the UK, Model 3 customers can configure! France, Sweden, Norway, Germany, Netherlands and Spain are confirmed so far. The rumours I’d heard were true, the Dual Motor Performance and Dual Motor cars are the first on sale, both with the Long Range battery only. I did ask Tesla today about the Mid Range and even the Standard Range, but for now the pattern in Europe will match the USA with premium cars the priority.
- But here’s the number of the day…the WLTP test cycle was also confirmed today and it’s a great number. 544km or 338 miles for the Dual Motor and 530km or 330miles for Performance. Consider the official Tesla line of 310 miles, and you can see how the European test cycle is a little more generous than EPA. Although talking about battery sizes is something which has stopped now, just a reminder it’s a 75kWh battery, although you won’t find that in the marketing materials. They’d much rather we said Long Range. 0-62mph is officially 3.7 seconds which is slower than the real life Youtube videos we’ve seen.
- In Germany the price is 57,000 Euro for 3D and 68,600 Euro for the P3D. Of course your paint choices can add up to 2,600 Euro for multicoat Red.
- Delivery starts February.
- In the UK, that roughly translates to £51,500 and £62,000 respectively. However, deliveries won’t be until Summer 2019 at the earlier, perhaps later.
TESLA COULD MAKE SUVS IN NEVADA GIGAFACTORY
- “Tesla’s giant gigafactory near Reno might go from making Tesla batteries to making Teslas. Business Insider reported today Tesla plans to manufacture the new Model Y electric SUV at the factory in the Tahoe-Reno Industrial Center.” reports Nevada Public Radio: “Internal documents from earlier in the fall showed the company planned to produce 7,000 SUV’s a week at its factory by the end of 2020. A spokesperson from Tesla said the information was “outdated,” but did not explicitly deny plans to manufacture vehicles in Nevada.”
- Brian and Shari, our podcast guests from last Saturday, who have recently taken a Gigafacgtory tour said the impression was just how vast it is.
RIVIAN: THIRD EV IS A RALLY-LIKE CAR WITH “BANANAS” LEVEL OF PERFORMANCE
- “According to Rivian, the R1T electric truck and R1S electric SUV will be joined by a third offering. This vehicle fits the mould of a rally-like performance car.” reports Eric Loveday for InsideEVs.com: “The third offering from Rivian won’t be quite as large as the R1S. Rivian says the wheelbase will be smaller and that it will look something like a lifted car. A lot of ground clearance is a given. High performance is too, as Rivian only intends to offer vehicles with long range and mega horsepower.”
NEW 2019 KIA E-NIRO EV PRICING
- “The Kia e-Niro will go on sale from April 2019 with prices starting at £32,995, while the official range has dropped to 282 miles” according to Luke Wilkinson at Auto Express: “The new Kia e-Niro…will arrive in dealerships in April priced from £32,995 after the government’s £3,500 plug-in car grant is applied. From launch, the only powertrain available will be a 64kWh lithium-ion battery pack that drives a 201bhp electric motor. As a result, the e-Niro will cover the 0-62mph sprint in 7.5 seconds and will top out at 104mph.”
VOLKSWAGEN E-CRAFTER TO DEBUT AT MILTON KEYNES EV EXPERIENCE CENTRE
- “Van operators interested in finding out more about making the switch to electric vehicles can always get a knowledge boost and advice from experts at the EV Experience Centre in Milton Keynes. And to get a real taste of what’s coming up, they’ll also have the chance to see the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles e-Crafter there this weekend.” reports Automotive World. “The e-Crafter has been tailored to typical city operations with its 100 kW (136 PS) power, high 290 Nm torque output, range of up to 173 km (c107 miles) and top speed limited to 90 kph (56 mph).”
VOLKSWAGEN STARTS FINAL COUNTDOWN TO PHASE OUT OF GAS, DIESEL
And finally the biggest story of the week i haven’t covered yet. And on any other day, in any other week, this would have been front page news.
” Volkswagen plans to introduce the last generation of combustion engines in the year 2026. It will be produced for some time, but there will be no new generations afterwards.” says Mark Kane at InsideEVs.com: “The German manufacturer will focus on electric cars, which in volume will be produced from 2020 (using all-new MEB platform for double-digit models under several brands)”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
Would you be interested in knowing more about available EVs in China and would you like some of them to be offered for sale in US and EU?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 128 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 317 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: