Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Wednesday 5th December 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Another new Patron please welcome him to the family. DARRYL L RAMSEY is a new Producer of the podcast.
MODEL 3 ARRIVES IN UK
- First thing on Wednesday morning, as in 7 hours after this podcast goes live, I’ll be at Tesla in London to meet the team there, but also people like Will Fealy the Tesla Owners UK President, as the Model 3 arrives in Service Centres.
- The Model 3 will be on display from 5th to 19th December in London and Manchester. Plus I’m hoping to meet a few reservation holders who are happy to chat on the podcast.
NOVEMBER TESLA SALES ESTIMATES
- InsideEVs has been updating their Plug-In Sales Scorecard, and of particular interest is the Model 3 numbers. “Q4 started out predictably softer with Tesla Model 3 sales at 17,750 in the U.S. in October. That was the third-best sales result ever for the Model 3 in the U.S. But now, there’s a new #3 as sales of the Model 3 begin to tick upwards again as the quarter moves on. For November, InsideEVs estimates Tesla sold 18,650 Model 3 in the U.S. (*this figure doesn’t include Canada).”
- Is it just me that thinks they’re having a wry smile with their estimate with 18,650? As in, those are the cells which power Teslas? Apart from, of course, the actual Model 3 using 2170s.
- “The YTD tally so far for the Model 3 stands at 114,472. Cumulative sales now stand at 116,296, which is higher than all plug-in vehicles sold in the U.S. in 2015.”
FORMULA E COULD RETURN TO UK
- I Mentioned on a recent show I was disappointed Formula E wasn’t in the UK next season and listener Brian from Manchester sent me this link, to Alex Kalinauckas writing for Motorsport.com: “Alejandro Agag says ABB FIA Formula E has a “little plan” to bring the electric championship back to Britain in co-operation with Motorsport UK. Agag teased attendees at the 2018 Autosport Awards last weekend that he would be having a “secret meeting” with Motorsport UK chairman David Richards on Monday morning. When asked about the nature of the meeting, Agag confirmed that is was related to “bringing a race back to the UK”.”
ELECTRIVE EXCLUSIVE: 60KWH LEAF TO DEBUT WITHOUT LIQUID-COOLING
- Quite a claim from Electrive today: “Nissan has set a new date for finally introducing the lastly delayed new LEAF EV with 60 kWh battery. Our colleagues in Germany gathered information in dealer circles, more precisely at a Nissan event last night. There the Japanese carmaker informed its partners that the Leaf will debut at the CES in Las Vegas on January, 8.”
- “When this information was conveyed at an event for Nissan dealers yesterday, a whisper could be heard across the rows as it became clear that the 60 kWh battery will have to go along without liquid cooling. “
FARADAY FUTURE FURLOUGHS HUNDREDS MORE EMPLOYEES
- According to Sean O’Kane @sokane1 at The Verge: “Electric car startup Faraday Future plans to furlough hundreds more employees as a result of an ongoing cash crunch during a battle with its main investor, the company announced on Twitter today. The startup originally placed hundreds of employees on furlough, or unpaid leave, in October, reducing its US headcount from around 1,000 to about 600. At least 250 more employees are being furloughed today, multiple sources tell The Verge.”
- VENTURI Automobiles, the Monegasque company specialized in electric vehicles, has launched the VENTURI Antarctica, the first zero-emissions vehicle capable of operating on hostile terrain and withstanding temperatures as low as -50°C.
- Prince Albert II of Monaco said: “The VENTURI Antarctica will be a significant asset for improving our understanding of the polar regions, the first to be impacted by the effects of climate disruption.”
- The polar regions are the first witnesses to climate change and among the first parts of the world to experience the negative consequences: pollution, the loss of species, and the threats to indigenous peoples are considerable in these areas. The stakes are high over the long term, and the impact of warming is, unfortunately, already very visible: Arctic sea ice and glaciers on land are melting much more quickly than forecast.
- Between 2013 and 2015, VENTURI Automobiles developed a prototype for the Antarctica, which was initially tested in a cold region of Europe. Making good use of the data collected from this first version, as well as the technology developed for its race cars (which use the same battery cells), the VENTURI engineering team has now come up with a second version: equipped with higher performance battery technology and improved overall efficiency, the Antarctica has wheel-mounted caterpillar tracks, 2x60kW power and weighs in at around 2 tonnes. Designed to operate in the extreme conditions of Antarctica, it can carry three people, as well as luggage and equipment. It has a range of approximately 45 kilometres and a speed of 20 km/h in realistic operating conditions.
UK HAS GREEN LIGHT FOR WORLD’S LARGEST COMMERCIAL ELECTRIC VEHICLE PROJECT
- “A three-year, 3,000-vehicle project to test the impact of electric commercial vehicles has been announced today (30 November), after receiving the go-ahead from UK energy regulator Ofgem.” according to Transport Engineer Website: “Called Optimise Prime, the project brings together power, technology, fleet and transport companies, which will all share data throughout the trial in a bid to accelerate the take-up of electric commercial vehicles. The project partners will look at the implications of a large-scale switch to EVs on the electricity infrastructure, including charging from home, depots and public places.”
- Participants include Uber, Centrica, SSE, Hitachi Capital Vehicle Solutions and a parcel carrier.
- Uber are involved as they want to be all electric in London by 2025.
- “Hitachi will design, build and operate the project’s Internet of Things platform, called Lumada”
CHINESE COMPANY SAYS IT WILL SOON CROSS $100 BATTERY THRESHOLD
- “Envision Energy will produce batteries for $100 per kilowatt hour by 2020, the Shanghai company’s founder and CEO said at Stanford University, predicting the price will drop to $50 only five years later and end the reign of the internal-combustion engine.” according to Forbes: “Envision’s analysts realized they could achieve these goals after the company purchased Nissan’s battery division earlier this year, CEO Lei Zhang said at Stanford University’s Global Energy Forum. Stanford just released video of Lei’s remarks, which came in response to a slightly more conservative prediction by Stanford’s Arun Majumdar.”
Down into single figures now just 9 days until Formula E starts in Ad Diriyah. Are there any good Formula E podcasts out there you listen to. Do you have any recommendations? Please DM me or email email@example.com
Sascha Pallenberg says “Formula E Gen 2 has 50kw more power compared to Gen 1. I followed their Valencia testings and the lap times improved by around 5 seconds. Acc will be much faster. Not sure about improved down force though.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
Would you be interested in knowing more about available EVs in China and would you like some of them to be offered for sale in US and EU?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 127 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ALAN ROBSON @SCOTTISHEVOWNER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RUPERT MITCHELL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 316 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYEV.com for more details: