Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Tuesday 20th November 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HEAD OF RENAULT-NISSAN ALLIANCE CARLOS GHOSN ARRESTED
- Who should you thank for the early move of Nissan into the LEAF? Carlos Ghosn. What about the Renault Zoe? Carlos. Nissan say: “”As the misconduct uncovered through our internal investigation constitutes clear violations of the duty of care as directors, Nissan’s Chief Executive Officer Hiroto Saikawa will propose to the Nissan Board of Directors to promptly remove Ghosn from his positions as Chairman and Representative Director. Saikawa will also propose the removal of Greg Kelly from his position as Representative Director.”
- Along with Nissan director Greg Kelly, Ghosn was arrested for “reporting compensation amounts in the Tokyo Stock Exchange securities report that were less than the actual amount, in order to reduce the disclosed amount of Carlos Ghosn’s compensation.”
- One minute your Chairman of the Board and then the next minute you’ve been nicked. Or as someone on Twitter said today – Ghosn in 60 seconds.
PORSCHE TAYCAN BRINGS ITS FAKE EXHAUST TO THE NURBURGRING
- “Porsche keeps playing its game of “this is an ICE-powered prototype” around the Nurburgring where it is testing its first fully-electric vehicle, confirmed to be named the Taycan (pronounced as Tie-Kahn). We have no idea why the German sports car maker is still using fake exhaust tips at the back of this trial vehicle, as it has already made it clear it will not “lower itself to gimmicks” and use V8 in its all-electric sports car.” says Anthony Karr for Motor1.com: “Anyway, it’s good to see Porsche is advancing with the development of the Taycan. This prototype, filmed by Automotive Mike, features only lightly camouflaged headlamps and taped taillights. It’s probably safe to assume the vehicle is very close to its final production form and this car is giving us a good idea of what it will look like. the Taycan will sprint from a standstill to 62 miles per hour (0-100 kilometers per hour) in under 3.5 seconds. Hitting twice as much at 124 mph (200 kph) will take just 12 seconds. As far as range and charging are concerned, the automaker promises the EV will be able to cover approximately 310 miles (500 km) between two charges with a 15-minute fast charging option”
- I’ll put a link to Anthony’s article in the show notes:
PRODUCTION I.D. HATCHBACK TO BE CALLED I.D. 1, TRADEMARKS SUGGEST
- “Volkswagen went on a trademarking tear this week, reserving nine names that could apply to motorized vehicles with European Union Intellectual Property Office. The names are I.D. 1, through I.D. 9 and will likely apply to the brand’s suite of upcoming electric vehicles.” according to VW Vortex: “Volkswagen has already spent a lot of time and effort applying the name to its EV concepts, simply calling its first post-dieselgate EV concept based on the MEB platform “I.D.” After that, it released the I.D. Buzz, I.D. Crozz, and I.D. Vizzion concepts.Volkswagen has claimed that all four of the above-mentioned concepts (I.D., Buzz, Vizzion, and Crozz) represent vehicles that it fully intends to put into production, so that takes care of I.D. 1, I.D. 2, I.D. 3, and I.D. 4 and leaves VW with plenty of space to grow. The naming convention also reflects a trend in the wider automotive industry to number models rather than name them. Here, I’m thinking of the Polestars 1, 2, and 3; the Lynk&Co 01, 02, etc; Cadillac’s XT4, XT5, and CT4 and 5, too; among others.”
GRAPHENE BASED ULTRA CAPACITORS BOOST DOUBLE, SINGLE DECKER BUSES
- “Skeleton Technologies and Wrights Group Ltd have signed a high-volume, multi-million-euro contract over the next 5 years. Skeleton Technologies supplies graphene-based ultracapacitors to the latest KERS enabled hybrid-electric double and single deck buses produced by the Wrights Group.” reports Electric Vehicles Research: “The integration of graphene-based ultracapacitors into test WrightBus double deck buses enables a 36% fuel saving compared to a UK based EuroVI diesel bus baseline. It also adds at least another 3 passengers to the capacity of these buses compared to a lithium battery-based hybrid equivalent.”
TESLA MODEL 3 ACCOUNTED FOR OVER HALF OF ALL MIDSIZE LUXURY CAR SALES
- “According to the latest sales data of the midsize luxury segment gathered by Good Car Bad Car, combined with IinsideEVs’s own Tesla Model 3 sales estimation in the U.S., the newest Tesla makes a kind earthquake in its class. In October 2018, Tesla sold approximately 17,750 Model 3, while the overall sales of midsize luxury cars was 34,078, which translates to 52% for the Model 3.” says InsideEVs.
- And one of the commenters Deckhard said: “So Tesla’s growth hasn’t been mainly derived from buyers of traditional premium brands, but from costumers from outside the premium segment. However, even if it has “only” stolen 13% of the sales from other manufacturers it also limited any chance for growth that they had for the foreseeable future. I really want to see the Model Y out. If the Model 3 did this, if Tesla goes after the mid-size SUV cash cow of the german brands then they’re screwed.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
Since most dealers today are not well educated in EVs and don’t carry enough inventory, what would you choose: going to a dealer or using a service where an EV of your choice would be brought over to you for a test drive and you will be educated to make an informed decision, but…for a fee?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 120 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 301 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYev.com for more details: