Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 19th November 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
Hello to our newest member of the Patreon gang, and officially a Podcast Producer…COLIN RICHARDSON.
VW CONFIRMS JOINT DEVELOPMENT WITH FORD, DENIES MERGER
- “The VW Group and Ford will jointly develop commercial vehicles and have “identified other potential cooperation”, CEO Herbert Diess has confirmed at its annual board meeting press conference.” reports Lawrence Allen for Autocar: “Rumours of a VW and Ford tie-in have been circulating since the start of the month, with speculation that the brands will also develop electric vehicles together. Diess today confirmed the joint development of commercial vehicles is “core to the alliance”, and went on to say that bosses had “identified other potential cooperation with Ford outside of commercial vehicles”. However, Diess denies the relationship will extend to a rumoured full merger with Ford, claiming “that was never the objective of our talks” At today’s conference, Diess also revealed the Group has increased its five-year investment into electric vehicles, autonomous and connected technology from €34bn to €44bn, around a third of the car maker’s total expenditure for the period. Of that sum, €30bn will be put into electric mobility, including everything from platform and powertrain development to infrastructure investment.”
JAGUAR I-PACE NAMED POCKET-LINT’S BEST CAR OF 2018
- “The Jaguar I-PACE has been named Best Car at the Pocket-lint Gadget Awards 2018. Since the car’s public debut in March this year, the I-PACE has already claimed 16 major global awards including German Car of the Year and Scottish Car of the Year.” according to Electric Cars Report: “Its success among experts has led to I-PACE being awarded Auto Express New Car of the Year, Autocar’s Game Changer title, T3’s Best Car and the Sunday Times Car of the Year. This latest title from Pocket-lint demonstrates the ongoing success of the I-PACE, especially highlighting the cutting-edge technologies
- Pocket-lint’s expert jurors said: “The Jaguar I-PACE is not techy for tech’s sake. Or elitist. Tesla, BMW, Audi et al should be very worried indeed, because Jaguar has pulled off the coup of the year with the I-PACE. Right now, this is the EV we would choose to buy before any other.”
ALTMAIER SNIFFS AT GERMAN AUTOMAKERS
- “When do you build an electric car that is only half as sexy as a Tesla?” Minister of Economics Altmaier has sharply criticized the German car industry at a meeting. VW boss Diess was behind.
- In a word. Burn.
- At an event on the subject of artificial intelligence, the heads of Volkswagen and Daimler spoke with Minister of Economic Affairs Peter Altmaier (CDU) about the backlog of the German auto industry . According to “Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung” and according to “Welt am Sonntag” Altmaier did not mince his words.
- Addressing CEOs Herbert Diess (VW) and Dieter Zetsche (Daimler), he said: “I really wonder when you, Mr. Zetsche, or you, Mr. Diess, or Mr. Krüger of BMW will be able to get an electric car build, which is only half as sexy as one Tesla. As far as the attractiveness of your e-cars is concerned, you could actually come up with some fresh ideas. “
TESLA AUSTRALIA TO ADD CCS CHARGERS TO SUPPORT MODEL 3
- “Tesla Australia has announced it will upgrade its Supercharger network with Combined Charging System (CCS) plugs, in order to support the upcoming Model 3 sedan. Unlike the Model S and Model X, the Model 3 will come with a CCS port, which combines AC and DC connectors – the S and X are currently produced with only a Type 2 port that doesn’t allow them to utilise most public DC fast-chargers without an adapter.” according to caradvice.com.au: “The company has confirmed it will also offer a CCS adapter to current and new Model S/X owners so they can access third-party CCS charging solutions too”
273,000 PASSENGER ELECTRIC PLUG-IN CARS SOLD IN EUROPE: Q1-Q3 2018
- “According to the latest data from the European Automobile Manufacturers Association, in the first nine months of 2018, total passenger plug-in car registrations (including a tiny number of FCVs) in the European Union and EFTA (Norway + Switzerland) amounted to 273,702 (up 35.4%).
- PHEV – 140,758 (up 33.6%)
- BEVs – 132,944 (up 37.4%)
- Compared to total registrations of 12,304,711 cars, it is about 2.2% market share (however share in particular markets highly varies).” in a new report on InsideEVs.com: “The top markets in Q1-Q3, that account for over 82% of total sales, are: Norway, Germany, UK, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Belgium”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
Since most dealers today are not well educated in EVs and don’t carry enough inventory, what would you choose: going to a dealer or using a service where an EV of your choice would be brought over to you for a test drive and you will be educated to make an informed decision, but…for a fee?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 120 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DON MCALLISTER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MAZ SHAR (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RAJ BADWAL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 301 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYev.com for more details: