Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Saturday 10th November 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
HARLEY-DAVIDSON INTRODUCES ELECTRIC LIVEWIRE MOTORCYCLE
- “Harley-Davidson’s latest motorcycle isn’t a typical hog. In fact, it could be considered the antithesis. On Tuesday, the Wisconsin-based motorcycle maker unveiled the production LiveWire motorcycle with a fully electric powertrain.” reports Motor Authority: “Harley-Davidson didn’t provide production performance specs at the bike’s reveal, but power comes from a permanent magnet electric motor settled in the lower part of the body. The placement creates a low center of gravity to improve handling and help control the bike under hard braking. Without the legendary Harley sound, the company developed a tone that increases in pitch and volume with speed. The tone is meant to represent the smooth power that comes with the electric powertrain. When it comes time to charge, the LiveWire will plug into a standard outlet for Level 1 speeds, a Level 2 charger, or a Level 3 DC fast charger. The battery is composed of lithium-ion cells. A smaller 12-volt lithium-ion battery powers the lights, horn, and other electronics.”
ARC VECTOR EV MOTORCYCLE WANTS TO BE THE TESLA OF TWO WHEELS
- “Electric motorcycle startup Arc wants to do for two wheels what Tesla did for four, and it’s not being coy with its new Vector bike. Billed as “the most premium and individual of EVs,” the all-electric super bike won’t only be very fast, but very much in-tune with its rider, not to mention – no surprise – very expensive, too.” says SlashGear: “”Samsung-made batteries are organized into modular cells, with Arc suggesting you’ll get around 200 miles of urban riding or 120 miles of highway riding from the 16.8 kWh packs. They’ll recharge in 45 minutes on a fast charger. 0-60 mph comes in under 3.1 seconds, with a top speed of 120 mph.”
TESLA MODEL 3 PERFORMANCE TRACK MODE
- Kim Reynolds for Motor Trend writes: “Resident racer Randy Pobst and I are sitting on two black vinyl bar stools in the cinder block building next to Willow Springs’ Streets circuit. He leans in: “It was fascinating to have that engineer sitting next to me, hanging on for dear life, holding a laptop and actually typing into it while I’m driving at speed.” Changing its code? “Yes. And I could feel it in the car.” He cockeyed-smiles with a sort of amused, “What the heck?” look on his face.”
- “Here’s the coolest thing: Less than a week after that test session, Randy’s tuning expertise will be available to all. Today—November 8—Tesla expects this “Release Version” software to be accessible to owners of all Model 3 Performance cars (with the redundant-sounding Performance option, now standard). The combined wizardry of engineers in Fremont, California, and our own Randy Pobst is being beamed via over-the-air updates. All you have to do is find a track and push a button.”
TESLA FINALLY LAUNCHES MODEL 3 KEY FOB
- “You’ll no longer need to rely on the key card, as your smartphone, as well as this key fob, will grant you access to the Tesla Model 3.” reports InsideEVs.
- Model 3 Key Fob is a miniature version of your Model 3
- Press once to lock
- Press twice to unlock
- Press twice on front or rear trunk to open
- Long press on rear trunk to open charge port
- Eric Loveday adds: “Tesla had initially told us this key fob would be free to existing owners upon request and provided to new owners with purchase of the car at no charge. It now appears that may not be the case. The fob is currently listed for $150 on Tesla’s site. It doesn’t feature passive entry either.”
VW PLANNING $21,000 ENTRY-LEVEL SUBCOMPACT EV CROSSOVER
- “Volkswagen AG plans to add a subcompact crossover costing about 18,000 euros ($21,000) to its all-electric I.D. range, expanding its lineup of zero-emissions vehicles that are more affordable than those of Tesla Inc., according to people familiar with the matter.” as per Bloomberg earlier this week: “The entry level vehicle may be built at VW’s factory in Emden, Germany, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the plan hasn’t received final approval by the manufacturer’s supervisory board. Sales could start sometime after 2020, and the company expects to sell about 200,000 per year, they said.”
CHARGEPOINT GIVES EUROPE EQUAL BILLING IN ELECTRIC CAR GRID PLAN
- “ChargePoint, which operates one of the world’s largest charging station grids for electric vehicles, expects to split a major expansion plan equally between Europe and its home market the United States, its chief executive said.” according to Reuters today.
- The company said in September it was aiming for 2.5 million charging points globally by 2025 and CEO Pasquale Romano told Reuters at the Web Summit conference in Lisbon that the increase was likely to be evenly split between Europe and the United States. Europe is seen as potentially moving more quickly to electric vehicle adoption than the United States after President Donald Trump pulled out of the Paris climate agreement. ChargePoint does not own any re-charging stations but rather functions like an Airbnb or Uber to create a network of locations and schedule bookings at available charging points.”
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What’s the ideal way to get access to driving Electric Cars? Buy? Lease? Subscribe? Car sharing scheme? Tell me how you did / will drive an electric car.
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 115 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 291 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYev.com for more details: