Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Monday 5th November 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
CLEANTECHNICA: CHINA HAS RECORD ELECTRIC CAR SALES MONTH
- “After a few months threatening to break the all-time record (102,635 units, set last December), the Chinese plug-in electric vehicle (PEV) market finally hit a new high, with some 104,900 plug-in vehicles being registered in September, up 66% and in line with previous months’ growth rates.” reports Jose Pontes for CleanTechnica: “The domestic market is more than enough to absorb current Chinese PEV production, helped by the fact that it is still a protected market and foreign automakers took a long time to look seriously at this niche, but with PEV quotas to be fulfilled in the near future, foreign brands are starting to put in real effort.”
- #1 – BYD Tang PHEV
- #2 – Chery EQ
- #3 – BYD Yuan EV
CHARGEPOINT AND FLO MAKE DRIVING ELECTRIC ACROSS NORTH AMERICA MORE ACCESSIBLE THAN EVER
- ChargePoint and FLO, today announced a landmark roaming partnership that provides electric vehicle (EV) drivers across North America a seamless charging experience. Much like roaming between cell phone networks, ChargePoint and FLO members can now effortlessly access public chargers on both networks while travelling in the US and Canada, without the need to register for multiple accounts or incur additional fees.
- ChargePoint, the leading EV charging network in the US and FLO, the EV charging leader in Canada, collectively have a significant presence across North America. The partnership not only simplifies EV driving for ChargePoint and FLO drivers, but demonstrates what is possible when industry leaders share a commitment to make it easier for drivers to charge wherever they go. This partnership is the first agreement of its kind in North America and creates a benchmark for future collaboration among players in the electric mobility sphere.
- Roaming between the networks is fully operational today through the ChargePoint or FLO mobile apps. To start a session, drivers can simply use their existing network account to locate a charging station, start a session via the app and charge. The participating networks have currently agreed to levy no additional fees for using a visited network’s station and all transactions and taxes are handled on the backend according to the respective country’s tax laws, so drivers who roam will have a familiar experience to that of their primary network. At launch, more than 33,000 publicly available charging spots will be available on both networks allowing for more seamless travel throughout North America.
JAGUAR I-PACE NAMED 2018 SCOTTISH CAR OF THE YEAR
- The all-electric Jaguar I-PACE was crowned overall Car of the Year and Best Alternative Fuel Car at the 2018 Scottish Car of the Year awards as part of an awards hat trick for Jaguar.
- The E-PACE, Jaguar’s compact performance SUV, completed the awards trio, beating rivals to collect the Best Premium SUV title at the ceremony held at the Dalmahoy Hotel and Country Club last night.
- This latest recognition from the Association of Scottish Motoring Writers is the fourth time Jaguar has taken home the top award and caps an incredible week for the Jaguar I-PACE after it was named as the first-ever German Car of the Year on Tuesday.
FASTNED TARGETS UK EV CHARGING MARKET FOLLOWING €11 MILLION FUND RAISE
- “Dutch fast electric vehicle charging provider Fastned has set its sights on the UK as one of four markets to be targeted following an €11 million (~£9.6 million) fund raising.” reports David Pratt for Current: “The company issued bonds last month offering 6% interest per annum over five years to be paid quarterly in arrears. The proceeds are now to be used to expand Fastned’s network beyond the Netherlands and Germany, where it currently has 78 operational stations, to include Belgium and the UK.
- The company has 12 fast charging stations under construction and expects to use the latest funding boost to expand this further. Bart Lubbers, co-founder of Fastned, said: “More than 5,000 people have now invested in Fastned. These people believe in our mission and in our company. They see that the growth of electric mobility is accelerating. Where our stations used to get only a few visitors per day, we now see multiple cars charging at the same time. Our best station already attracts more than 100 visitors a day! This is just the beginning and people are seeing that.”
TESLA’S ELON MUSK SUGGESTS FORD WILL NOT SURVIVE NEXT RECESSION
- While Tesla sales surge to record highs and the company becomes profitable, Elon Musk casts doubt on the financial condition of Ford, the only U.S. automaker to avoid bankruptcy during the last recession. In a wide-ranging interview with tech reporter Kara Swisher, Musk said:
- “There’s a good chance that Ford doesn’t make it in the next recession.” according to InsideEVs.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
What’s the ideal way to get access to driving Electric Cars? Buy? Lease? Subscribe? Car sharing scheme? Tell me how you did / will drive an electric car.
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 115 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 286 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYev.com for more details: