Can you help me fight the fossils? Help spread the word far and wide about EVs? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Good morning, good afternoon and good evening wherever you are in the world, welcome to EV News Daily for Friday 2nd November 2018. It’s Martyn Lee here and I’ve been through EV story today so you don’t have to.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
From Ryan Popple on Twitter, CEO @Proterra_Inc: “Today @Proterra_Inc is proud to announce our joint development program with Thomas Built Buses – a division of Daimler Truck & Bus. We’re displaying the first Proterra powered EV school bus. Long-range and CCS fast-charge compatible. Coming to schools near you!”
TESLA JUMPS TO #1 IN GLOBAL PLUG-IN ELECTRIC CAR SALES IN 2018 YTD
- Mark Kane at InsideEVs has news, really big news about electric car sales. “According to the latest comparison released by the EV Sales Blog, Tesla becomes the biggest manufacturer of electric cars among all automotive groups (even counting PHEVs). That’s an improvement compared to second place two months ago. The changes concern BYD too, which through record results improved from third to second, and Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, which fell down two positions from #1 to #3. Results for the first nine months of 2018: Tesla: 154,123 (12% share), BYD: 137,436 (11% share), Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance: 131,606 (10% share)”
- And now it’s November we can start to build a picture from October Sales numbers. Particularly for the Tesla Model 3: “for the first time since June 2018 when sales fell to 5,902 (compared to 6,000 Model 3 sold in May) we get to report that Model 3 sales have taken a downturn. Our initial estimates, which will be updated once again later today, peg Tesla Model 3 sales at 17,750 in the U.S. in October (*this figure doesn’t include Canada). That is still the third-best sales result ever for the Model 3 in the U.S. and with this being the first month of the new quarter, we didn’t expect a new record. If we look at year-over-year for the Model 3, the gains are ridiculous. In October 2017, Tesla sold 145 Model 3. Compare that to last month’s 17,750 and you’ll notice it’s over 122 times the amount from last year.”
FORMULA E ANNOUNCES UK YOUTUBE LIVE STREAMING FOR NEW SEASON
- “Formula E has announced a new partnership with YouTube that means races will be streamed live in the UK for the first time from the opening round of season five.” reports Alex for Motorsport.com: “FE previously broadcasted practice and qualifying sessions on YouTube – and made full event reruns available on the platform – but races were not screened live. The deal is starting out as a “supplementary streaming service in the UK – with the ambition of expanding viewing opportunities in other territories and eligible markets”, according to an FE statement. The races will be presented by a rotating team of YouTube influencers, anchored by regular host Laurence McKenna, in a studio established at YouTube Space London.”
POLESTAR EVALUATES STRENGTH OF CARBON FIBRE IN SUCCESSFUL FIRST CRASH TEST
- “Polestar has undertaken the first of a series of crash tests as part of the development of the Polestar 1. This represents the first time the Volvo Car Group has assessed the strength of a carbon fibre reinforced polymer body in a real crash situation. In contrast to a steel body where bending helps the integrated crumple zones to reduce the amount of crash energy that reaches the vehicle’s occupants, carbon fibre dissipates energy by cracking and shattering. Close attention was given to the way the carbon fibre body reacted to the extreme forces involved in the impact. The engineers also focused on how the underlying steel body structure, and carbon fibre ‘dragonfly’ which strengthens it, managed the forces.” you can read the rest at Electric Cars Report.
TESLA ENERGY IS NOW MAINLY USING ITS OWN ‘TESLA-BRANDED’ SOLAR PANELS MADE AT GIGAFACTORY 2
- Fred at Electrek reports on Tesla’s solar part of the company, something I’ve said many times before. “A new report shows that Tesla Energy is now mainly using its own ‘Tesla-branded’ solar panels made by Panasonic at Gigafactory 2 in Buffalo. Before SolarCity was bought by Tesla, the company was already working on its own solar panel technology, but it was only installing solar modules from a variety of suppliers. After the acquisition, Tesla CEO Elon Musk pushed for a product differentiation in solar products. The solar roof tiles are the most talked about but they also pushed to have their own solar panels.The ramp up was slow, but we have now learned that Tesla successfully ramped up installations using its own panels as 68% of total installs in California during the month of July, 2018, according to the most recent data compiled by ROTH Capital from the California Distributed Generation Statistics (CDGS) and associated contributors – via PV Tech.”
TESLA AUTO-PARK ‘SUMMON’ UPGRADE READY IN SIX WEEKS, ELON MUSK SAYS
- Elon has tweeted…” Tesla advanced Summon ready in ~6 weeks! Just an over-the-air software upgrade, so will work on all cars made in past 2 years (Autopilot hardware V2+). Car will drive to your phone location & follow you like a pet if you hold down summon button on Tesla app”
- “An upgrade to Tesla Inc’s ‘Summon’ auto-parking feature will be ready within six weeks and will allow its vehicles to drive around a parking lot, find an empty spot and read parking signs, Chief Executive Elon Musk said on Thursday” and reported by Autoblog: “The upgrade will be compatible in all Tesla cars made in the past two years, Musk said in a series of tweets on Thursday.” reports Autoblog: “The upgrade will enable owners to operate their vehicles remotely like a big remote controlled car as long as it falls within the line of sight, Musk also said. Summon, part of Tesla’s driver-assist Self-Pilot system, currently allows Model S drivers to park their cars from outside the vehicle in tight spots or to move the cars short distances to shift parking spot.”
JAGUAR’S ELECTRIC I-PACE IS GERMANY’S CAR OF THE YEAR
- The Jaguar I-PACE electric performance SUV has won the 2019 German Car of the Year Award. Jaguar’s first electric vehicle wins ‘German Car of the Year’ award against 58 competitors. Jury of 12 expert journalists chose the I-PACE electric performance SUV after a demanding series of tests. I-PACE and E-PACE both shortlisted for Women’s World Car of the Year Award. The British EV topped a shortlist of five to win the award. The jury evaluated the design, performance, ride, handling, future viability and general relevance of each model on the road and at the Bilster Berg circuit.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
If you could put a public charger anywhere, where would you put it? If I wrote you a cheque for an EVSE and have it installed to make you life easier, where is that place?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 112 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / ELECTRIC FUTURE (PREMIUM PARTNER)
CESAR TRUJILLO (PARTNER)
DAVID ALLEN (PARTNER)
OEM AUDIO OF NEW ZEALAND AND EVPOWER.CO.NZ (PARTNER)
SASCHA PALLENBERG (PARTNER)
ASHLEY HILL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ARILD GEIR SKAALSVEEN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BÅRD FJUKSTAD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
BRIAN WEATHERALL (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS BENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
CHRIS HOPKINS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DARREN BYRD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PARTINGTON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAVID PRESCOTT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
DAMIEN DAVIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
GEORGE CLARGO (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JACK OAKLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN BAILEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JOHN H MEYER III (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
JON TIMMIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
KEVIN MEYERSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LOUIS HOPKIN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
LUKE CULLEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL LOHMANN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARCEL WARD (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MARTIN CROFT (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW ELLIS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
MATTHEW GROOBY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
NEIL E ROBERTS FROM SUSSEX EVS (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL STEPHENSON (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PAUL SEAGER-SMITH (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
PHILIPPE CALVE (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
RENÉ SCHNEIDER (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
ROD JAMES (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
SCOTT CALLAHAN (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY (EXECUTIVE PRODUCER)
You can listen to all 283 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYev.com for more details: