Can YOU help me spread the word about how awesome electric cars are? Click 👉 EVne.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Well good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are in the world, hello and welcome to the Wednesday 26th September edition of EV News Daily. It’s Martyn Lee here with the news you need to know about electric cars and the move towards sustainable transport.
Thank you to MYEV.com for helping make this show, they’ve built the first marketplace specifically for Electric Vehicles. It’s a totally free marketplace that simplifies the buying and selling process, and help you learn about EVs along the way too.
This is show 247 so by the end of the week we’ll be on Show 250. Every 50 shows I’ve changed things up so far, added new features or even the script at the start. If you have any comments, suggestions or feedback please email me email@example.com
LUCID JOINS WITH VW FOR RAPID CHARGING IN USA
- “Luxury electric car maker Lucid plans to offer customers high-speed charging services for electric cars across the United States on a charging network funded by Volkswagen, the companies said Tuesday.” according to a CNBC article.
- The subsidiary of VW which was set up in the wake of wake of dieselgate, Electrify America, will have a subscription plan so that drivers can use any of the 500 which will be operational by the middle of 2019. That’s in comparison to the 1,344 Supercharger Stations around the world Tesla has built, with 11,041 Superchargers.
- They are the first car maker to piggyback on another’s charge network. Over the years many have suggested that someone should jump on board the Tesla Supercharging network but nonody has wanted to admit they need Tesla.
- Lucid says they’re on track to start production in 2020 after a $1bn injection from the Saudi Public Investment Fund.
BMW GROUP AND VW GROUP LEAD PLUG IN SALES IN AUGUST
- Here in Western Europe some interesting sales numbers for August Plug In cars from Matthias Schmidt, @auto_schmidt
- “BMW Group sold the most plug-in passenger cars in W-Europe during the opening 8-months of the year according to @AIDNewsletter data and http://schmidtmattthias.de research, accounting for 7% of their total sales in the region. @VWgroup were just behind with 43k sales”
- Both BMW Group and VW Group sold just under 15,000 pure battery electric with the remainder made up of plug ins.
GROUPE RENAULT IS LAUNCHING ADVANCED BATTERY STORAGE
- Groupe Renault is announcing the launch of its “Advanced Battery Storage” program, which aims to build the biggest energy stationary storage system using EV batteries ever designed in Europe by 2020 (power: 70 MW / energy: 60MWh).
- This system, installed on several sites in France and Germany, will facilitate the integration of renewable energies into electric grids.
- “Advanced Battery Storage” is part of Groupe Renault’s strategy to develop a smart electric ecosystem in favor of the energy transition.
- The purpose of this system is to manage the difference between electricity consumption and production at a given time, in order to increase the proportion of renewable sources in the energy mix. This means maintaining the balance between offer and demand on the electricity grid by integrating different energy sources with fluctuating production capacities. The slightest gap between consumption and production sets off disturbances that can compromise the stability of the local frequency (50 Hz). “Our stationary storage solution aims to offset these differences: it delivers its reserves to a point of imbalance in the grid at a given time to reduce the effects,” said Nicolas Schottey, Director of the Groupe Renault New Business Energy program. By helping to maintain the balance of the grid, the stationary storage system will boost the economic attractiveness of low-carbon energies.
- This stationary storage system is built using EV batteries compiled in containers. The system uses second-life batteries, as well as new batteries stored for future use in standard replacement during after-sales operations. “This unique assembly will give Advanced Battery Storage the capacity to generate or absorb, instantaneously the 70MW power. This high power combined with high capacity of our solution will allow to react efficiently to all major grid solicitations”, explains Nicolas Schottey.
BLOCKCHAIN ESSENTIAL FOR EV GROWTH
- “Distributed energy solutions such as solar PV, batteries, and smart controls are getting cheaper by the day and will soon outperform traditional energy sources such as coal, gas, and nuclear power, says Hervé Touati. In any case, Blockchain-type solutions will be needed for the mass deployment of electric vehicles, he warns.” according to Euractiv.com: “ou need software that does some kind of optimisation. This is where Blockchain can play an important role – you can decentralise to the level of a car the economic analysis and optimisation so you can have a much better utilisation of the grid. I used to work for a think-tank in the US called the Rocky Mountain Institute, and we made an analysis on EV penetration in California. Our calculation showed that, if you charge cars at the right time of the day, you can indeed optimise utilisation of the grid. And as a consequence decrease the cost per kilowatt hour. That’s the beauty of it: EVs allow putting more electricity into the grid while getting a lower bill for customers. But it requires that flexibility is managed properly.”
CALIFORNIA WEIGHS AN ADDITIONAL $2,000 SUBSIDY FOR ELECTRIC CARS
- “California will hold a hearing this week on offering a $4,500 subsidy for each pure electric vehicle sold in the state, up from the current $2,500, even as customers from Tesla Inc. and General Motors Co. face the loss of even bigger federal credits.” says John Lippert for Bloomberg: “The state is able to consider an increase in its electric-car subsidy partly because revenue is becoming available as companies buy more credits to comply with the state’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard, said Dan Sperling, a University of California Davis transportation professor who is also a member of the Air Resources Board. At this week’s hearing, the board will consider boosting the required low-carbon content of its transport fuels to 20 percent by 2030, from 5 percent this year.”
EV BATTERIES BORN AFTER AUGUST 2018 IN CHINA WILL HAVE UNIQUE IDS
- 2018 is regarded as the starting year of retired EV batteries in China and the government is not wasting any time on developing standards and solutions for these batteries” according to Electric Vehicles REsearch: “From August 2018, all EV batteries produced will be given a unique ID to help track the batteries during their entire lifecycle from production, throughout to sales, usage, scrapping/second use and recycling. EV battery manufacturers will code the batteries according to the National Standard – Coding Regulation for Automotive Traction and stakeholders along the value chain will need to update and upload the battery information onto the traceability management platform.”
NISSAN CAMPER VAN CONVERSIONS DISPLAYED IN HANNOVER
- Nissan’s range of light commercial vehicles is perfect for adventurous holiday breaks thanks to conversions available on e-NV200.
- For travellers who truly want to be at one with the environment, the all-electric e-NV200 camper van is the perfect travelling companion. Powered by a state-of-the-art 40 kWh battery, it has an official combined cycle range of 280km (NEDC) and 200km (WLTP) between charges.
- Nissan first displayed the camper van conversions in May 2018 at the Madrid Motor Show. A customisation catalogue means users can configure their Nissan camper according to their specific needs, whether it’s solar panels for charging appliances or an awning for shade.
NISSAN LAUNCHES NOTE E-POWER NISMO S IN JAPAN
- The Nissan Note e-POWER NISMO S goes on sale in Japan today, offering buyers of the country’s best-selling car even more power and sportiness, the model is a higher-spec version of the Nissan Note e-POWER NISMO, released in December 2016
- The car’s NISMO tuning creates an advanced driving sensation that takes full advantage of its e-POWER drive system. Popular with customers for its exciting acceleration and quietness, the innovative e-POWER system helped make the Nissan Note the best-selling registered car in Japan in the first six months of 2018, excluding mini-vehicles.
And thanks to MYEV.com they’ve set us another Question Of The Week. Keep your comments coming in on email and YouTube…
How do you charge at home? What charger have you got? Who installed it? Was it something which came with a new car or did you arrange yourself? And if you want to share, how much did it cost and did you get any incentives?
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 85 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to keep making this show, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future. By no means do you have to check out Patreon but if it’s something you’ve been thinking about, by all means look at patreon.com/evnewsdaily
PHIL ROBERTS / FUTURE ELECTRIC
JOHN H MEYER III
NEIL E ROBERTS
THE LIMOUSINE LINE SYDNEY
You can listen to all 246 previous episodes of this this for free, where you get your podcasts from, plus the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ – remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!
Check out MYev.com for more details: