Can YOU help me spread the word about how awesome electric cars are? Click ? https://EVNe.ws/patreon
Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Well good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are in the world, hello and welcome to the Wednesday 15th August edition of EV News Daily. It’s Martyn Lee here with the news you need to know about electric cars and the move towards sustainable transport.
I want to say a heartfelt thank you to the 59 patrons of this podcast whose generosity means I get to produce this show for free, which aims to entertain and inform thousands of listeners every day about a brighter future.
WHY MAKE THIS PODCAST? STORIES LIKE THIS…
- Babies and young children in prams can be exposed to up to 60% more pollution than adults, a study suggests. Experts said infants were exposed to dirtier air in prams because they were lower to the ground and closer to exhaust pipes.” reports the BBC: “They are also more at risk from the health dangers of dirty air because their bodies are small and developing. The study’s authors said avoiding busy roads and using pram covers were ways to reduce pollution exposure. Because pollution levels are greater within 1m of ground level, these infants are being exposed to up to 60% more fine particle air pollution than adults, the evidence indicates.
- Prof Prashant Kumar: “When you also consider how vulnerable they are because of their tissues, immune systems, and brain development at this early stage of their life, it is extremely worrying that they are being exposed to these dangerous levels of pollution.”
PORSCHE BREAKS LAP RECORD ON SIX CIRCUITS WITH PHEV
- The Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid, it’s a plug in, and it has been on a tour of FIA-approved circuit to break lap records, according to new video clips showing up on YouTube.
- Specs first up then, the plug in hybrid can cost up to $199k for the Executive model, and it’s the second most powerful car in the Porsche lineup.
- First of all the Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi, then Sakhir in Bahrain is shown. So I’m expecting more clips for the four remaining circuits.
- It’s interesting that Porsche want to do this. Is their reputation under threat from the new Tesla roadster. Even from a Model 3 Performance 0-60mph in 3.2 seconds?
- Great news they’re repositioning EVs for the petrol-heads who don’t get it yet.
- With the Porsche Taycan they’re defending years of brand building as one of THE fastest car makers in the world.
BASE MODEL 3 STILL A PRIORITY FOR TESLA, AWD COULD BE AN OPTION
- So many critics will bet you’ll never see a Model 3 at $35k – the same people who said Tesla would never make a profit, would never make more than 1,000 Model 3’s a week, never even make a Model 3!
- Elon was back on Twitter to reply to a question specifically about the new Roadster: “Production design will be better, especially in details. We are dying to do this, but primary focus must remain on making affordable version of Model 3 & bringing Y to market.”
- The last guidance from Elon was at the shareholder meeting, and InsideEVs kindly have a transcription online: “We will definitely offer a $35,000 version of the Model 3. And probably at the end of this year is when we will be able to make a smaller version of the battery pack, and get into volume production of $35,000 version in Q1 next year. We would definitely honor that obligation, and we would do so right now if it were possible.”
- But for those with an itchy finger on the mouse, if you’re in the design studio and MUST upgrade, Tesla confirmed the $35k standard range battery model would come with dual motor.
- Musk was replying to Fred Lambert on Twitter, and Fred reminded us today of something from the Q2 Earning Call: “We came up with a new design that achieves the same outcome, that’s actually lighter, better, cheaper and we will be introducing that around the end of this year ? probably reach volume production on that in Q1 or something. That will make the car lighter, better, and cheaper and achieve a higher range.”
DONGFENG MOTOR GREEN PLAN INCLUDES 20 ELECTRIFIED MODELS BY 2022
- Dongfeng their “Green 2022 Plan” rollout with a focus on green products, production and materials reuse. DFL plans to introduce 20 electrified (EV + e-POWER) models under its four brands by 2022, with Nissan e-Power technology available on core models. By 2022, 30% of DFL sales will be EV and e-POWER products. DFL plans to introduce advanced battery regeneration technology to lower environmental pollution, increase vehicle recycling value and reduce waste. Commercial energy storage will put recycled batteries to use, providing a stable power supply for local communities and industries once energy users reach peak electricity consumption.
iEV X EXPANDING ELECTRIC CAR
- Apart from the occasional small city compliance car, it’s fair to say the majority of early EV’s sold were in the mid-large cars.
- The Mercedes Smart EV is compact, and here in the UK the original small city EV was the G-Wiz. China has had a couple of very small EV’s, and maybe you’ve driven the Renault Twizy with the sides open to the elements. But what about a micro EV?
- This is one is 31 inches wide and 63 inches long and is the brainchild of some German engineering – it’s the iEV X expanding car.
- You can fit one person in without any elbow room and if you’ve got a large bag think again. But then again…this can grow.
- That length grows a whole 24 inches, just enough to squeeze in someone behind the driver or maybe your shopping.
- Frankly on American roads I’ve be terrified driving past 18 wheelers. But here in Europe it might make sense. The range is 37 miles and don’t expect to set any speed records with 28mph the max.
- If you fancy one drop by Kickstarter and have $2,150 ready.
- I’m also not joking when i tell you there’s an upgrade version with a pedal system to boost battery range.
- Their kickstarter says: “After 16 years of research on the most ideal and sustainable solution to urban transportation, we discovered that we want to make a vehicle built for the future. We want something that saves the environment, saves space, and still is comfortable and safe! So we started with problems and found solutions. We made a vehicle that is 100% electric, changes size based on needs with a Robotic Flexible Body platform, and comfortable due to having a chassis, body, dashboard, and seat. We conducted a survey with friends, families, and strangers to see what was needed in an urban setting, what their vision of future transportation was and how we could make an idea closest to their imagination.”
MICHIGAN UTILITIES PROPOSE MORE THAN $20M IN EV CHARGING PROGRAMS
- “The two largest utilities in Michigan, DTE Energy and Consumers Energy, are looking at time-of-use charging rates in two proposed electric vehicle (EV) charging programs worth a combined $20.5 million of investments.” according to Robert Walton for Utility Dive: “In its application, DTE told regulators that electrification of transportation offers a range of benefits including “reduced operating costs for EV drivers and affordability benefits for utility customers.”
- “Most EV charging takes place overnight at home, effectively utilizing distribution and generation capacity in the system during a low load period,” the utility said. “Therefore, increased EV adoption puts downward pressure on rates by spreading fixed costs over a greater volume of electric sales.”
CHARGEPOINT CEO SEES EV TRENDS ‘LOOKING PRETTY GOOD
- Richard Stubbe, Bloomberg New Energy Finance editor, has been talking to ChargePoint CEO. “ChargePoint Inc., operator of the world’s largest EV charging network, which builds stations for homes and businesses and then connects drivers using a mobile application. Chief Executive Officer Pasquale Romano, who answered questions from Bloomberg NEF this month”
- Highlights of his answers include: “Even with the relaxing of the EPA regulations, you still have manufacturers in the balance of the globe having to conform with standards that are being set for them elsewhere. If you’re going to sell globally, you’re going to have to dump most of your money into electric vehicles. And I think that’s what you’re seeing with most big global auto manufacturers.”
- “Battery prices are about $154 per kilowatt-hour, and that’s gotten there dramatically faster than anyone predicted. Once you get down to the magic number of $100, we can see electric vehicles reaching price parity with a gasoline car. Every country except the U.S. has either local or macro-level regulations pushing for the electrification of transportation. And in major cities, for air-quality reasons, we’re talking about close-in bans on internal-combustion vehicles.”
- “Thank God for Tesla and the Chinese. They’re forcing reconciliation with the transition from a very efficient gasoline-drivetrain industry to this new industry.”
- There’s far more than that, and it’s an excellent interview, read Richard’s BNEF article on the link below.
PENSKE TRUCK LEASING JOINS CharIN
- Penske Truck Leasing are the latest name to be added to the consortium which is the Charging Interface Initiative (CharIN), an alliance formed to promote CCS charging standard, for both passenger vehicles and commercials.
- Brian Hard, President and CEO: “As a leading services provider to commercial fleets, we feel standardization around electric vehicle charging and charging stations will help accelerate the use of electric vehicles within the transportation industry. The interoperability of vehicle charging stations over the road is essential for commercial fleet uptime, efficiency, maintenance, and general ease of use for the industry.”
- The means the German-based CharIN represents so many names across the industry. ABB, Allego, Audi, BMW, Bosch, ChargePoint, Daimler, EVgo, FCA, Ford, GM, Groupe Renault, Honda, Hyundai, IONITY, Mennekes, Opel, Phoenix Contact, Porsche, PSA Group, VW, Volvo and Tesla.
NEW PATREON SUPPORTERS!
David Prescott ? Executive Producer
William Miller ? Producer
H2050 – Supporter
Mark Tiller: “The Australian government is trying to get a Nation Energy Guarantee, I’m not 100% clear and I don’t think many other people are, fully aware of it’s implications ,but basically, cutting or stopping roof top solar/battery, solar power, wind power any type of renewable energy. New coal power station, ignoring the Paris climate emissions treaty. Coal coal and more coal.“
Airheart: “The website from the commercial you mentioned, is ridiculous. I don’t know who is really running this site and what their agenda is… it appears to be the legacy car manufacturers only, but the fact that they don’t have a single Tesla in their.. explore available electric cars.. is a complete farce of a website that is pretending to inform about EVs. This is obviously a website with a specific commercial agenda that has no intention of supplying, non biased information/education about EVs. This is the big auto manufacturers trying to sell their products. Most of which aren’t even in production.”
You can listen to all previous 211 episodes of this podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, YouTube, TuneIn, Stitcher, and the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ ? remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!