Read today’s show notes on https://www.evnewsdaily.com
Well good morning, good afternoon and good evening, wherever you are in the world, hello and welcome to the Tuesday 17th July edition of EV News Daily. It’s Martyn Lee here with the news you need to know about electric cars and the move towards sustainable transport.
NEWS IN BRIEF:
* Tesla Model 3 cumulative production has now exceeded 50,000 according to the Bloomberg tracker, which has a bit of lag but has proven a close estimation
* The Dutch city of Delft is the first city worldwide to have an electric vehicle charging station equipped with a pole that holds an Automated External Defibrillator (AED).
* Ask Autoline is a one hour Q&A with John from Autoline about that Tesla Model 3 teardown and more from Sandy Munro
LONG RANGE NISSAN LEAF E-PLUS COMING IN 2019, WILL HAVE 200 HP
- The next Nissan LEAF now has a confirmed name – the E-Plus
- Autoguide for the scoop: “The long-range Nissan Leaf, which will arrive for the 2019 model year, will get a boost in power and will be called E-Plus, the Japanese automaker has confirmed to AutoGuide. Speaking at a special event promoting the automaker’s upcoming Formula E race program, Nissan’s director of EV Marketing and Sales Strategy, Brian Maragno, revealed some details about the anticipated long-range Leaf. Maragno said the larger battery Leaf will receive the ‘E-Plus’ badge and will get a boost in power over the 40 kWh version. The 40 kWh Leaf is rated at 142hp, but the long-range model will have 200 hp on tap. “
- AutoEvolution say: “At the EVS29 electric vehicle convention in 2016, Nissan let it slip that it’s working on a 60-kWh battery. In all likelihood, it is this battery that we’ll find in the E-Plus, shadowing the capacity and range of the entry-level version of the Tesla Model 3.”
JAGUAR LAND ROVER HAS PARTNERED WITH PLUGSURFING
- “Jaguar Land Rover has partnered with Plugsurfing to supply a premium charging service for its electric vehicles in selected markets in Europe. Drivers choosing an all-electric Jaguar I-PACE performance SUV will be given free access to the Jaguar Public Charging app, whilst Range Rover or Range Rover Sport plug-in petrol-electric hybrid (PHEV) customers can download the Land Rover Public Charging app for free. Both apps easily locate 70,000 charging points and pay for the charging session. Customers will also receive a universal charging card that allows them to use most charging points across Europe. Through the apps, Jaguar and Land Rover electric vehicle drivers can see whether a charging station is available or occupied. Drivers can choose to rapid charge before reaching their destination or charge at normal speed upon arrival.”
- “There are two packages on offer – a fixed monthly fee or Pay As You Go. Each package, which includes the universal charging key and app download information, is available through the Jaguar and Land Rover retailer network.
PORSCHE TAYCAN: ORDERS FOR BRAND’S FIRST EV ALREADY BUILDING
- “Customers have begun ordering the Porsche Taycan, the firm’s first all-electric vehicle, despite the production version of the car not even being revealed yet, UK managing director Alexander Pollich has said.” and according to Jim Holder writing for Autocar: “Order books opened earlier this month, with Pollich confirming that customers were keen to reserve early cars despite the car only being revealed as a concept – called Mission E. He did not confirm order numbers, however. The production car is expected to be revealed for the first time in 2019, ahead of hitting roads in 2020.”
- “The Taycan sits on a new architecture, named J1 by Porsche. The brand’s first EV will feature 800V charging technology that is intended to future-proof the car for several years after it hits the market, and company officials have already confirmed it is designed to enable fast-charging to 80% of the car’s range in just 15 minutes.”
TESLA HIRING SPREE IN JULY
- “Several months ago, Tesla went on a massive hiring spree as it geared up production, marketing, and customer touchpoints for accelerated deliveries of its more-affordable Model 3” according to Joshua Fruhlinger at thinknum.com: “Then the company let go of 9% of its workforce in an effort to make things a bit more efficient as it came under fire from all angles as it struggled to deliver cars. So it is with an equal mix of fascination and trepidation that we report that Tesla is embarking on another hiring spree. On July 1, 2018, the company listed 1,662 openings. As of yesterday, the company has 1,974 open positions. That’s a jump of 19% in just over 2 weeks.”
- Whereas layers of management seemed to be the focus of the previous reduction in workforce, these openings are sales or customer facing. 85 of the positions advertised are for Customer Experience Specialist.
MODEL 3 DUAL MOTOR AND PERFORMANCE VERSIONS ARE NOW EPA-RATED
- On Monday of this week the Model 3 Performance and Dual Motor, or P3 and P3D if you like, were officially rated by the EPA which opens the door for those cars to be delivered.
- Fred Lambert at Electrek says: “The EPA has now confirmed that both the Performance and non-Performance Dual Motor versions have a 116-MPGe rating with 120 MPGe for city driving and 112 MPGe for highway driving. As for the range, they both get officially rated at 310 miles on a single charge, like the Long Range rear-wheel-drive version, but the dual motor Model 3 vehicles officially have an efficiency of 29 kWh per 100 miles versus 26 kWh per 100 miles for the single motor version.”
You can listen to all previous 183 episodes of this podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, YouTube, TuneIn, Stitcher, and the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ ? remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!