Monday 14th May 2018.
WOLFGANG PORSCHE INTERVIEW: THE LEGEND MUST BE MAINTAINED
- “In a rare interview, Wolfgang Porsche, the spokesman for the influential Porsche-Piech family that controls Volkswagen Group, talked about VW’s past and future leadership and the future of the Porsche brand” says Automotive News Europe.
- He was speaking to Automobilwoche. He talked a lot about VW and the legacy of the carmaker, but specifically about EVs…
- Porsche is building the Mission E, its first electric sports car. Is this the right decision?
- My grandfather built an electric car, the Lohner Semper Vivus, back in 1899, so the Mission E stands for the audacity that is a Porsche tradition. There have been many voices saying that an expansion of the Stuttgart facilities would not be worth the effort. It certainly was not the most affordable option. But it was important for our electric car to come from Stuttgart. Employees are doing without part of their pay increase for this and paying the money into a fund for the future. To me, that shows the spirit that lives on in the company.
- Motorsports has always been an important part of the history of Porsche. Is Formula E sufficient for the future?
- Formula E is certainly a good way to promote electric mobility. And the competition with Audi doesn’t hurt. But I will be back at Le Mans again this year, even though Porsche no longer competes in the LMP1 class. I think one important area is customer racing, which we intend to strengthen. Porsche is also competing with a record number of vehicles in the GT Series. The field won’t be left to Ferraris and other competitors.
THE LUKA EV: AN ELECTRIC CAR WITH A VINTAGE TOUCH
- “MW Motors is a Czech Republican car brand, and its Luka EV is a true phenomenon” says WideOpenRoads.com. “Instead of placing the motor beneath the hood, there are four 12.5 kW motors located in each wheel hub. MWM comments that they’re the first to implement this motor design in a car. The 21.9-kWh NiCoMn battery pack helps provide the lengthy 186-mile driving range in this electric car. Details are still up in the air whether North America will see the Luka EV, but it will be highway legal in the EU soon enough.”
SILICON VALLEY VETERAN WHO WORKED UNDER ELON MUSK NEW BOOK
- Business Insider have picked up on a Silicon Valley veteran writing some fiction: “In her debut novel, “Sophia of Silicon Valley,” Anna Yen chronicles her own career rise through the ranks in Silicon Valley. The book is a lightly fictionalized retelling of working under Steve Jobs at Pixar and Elon Musk at Tesla.”
- “A lot of the time when I say, ‘I worked for Steve Jobs’ or ‘I worked for Elon Musk,’ the first thing people say, no joke, is ‘Oh, I hear he’s a real a–hole.’ I am not kidding! They are tough characters, absolutely. They’re not easy ? they’re demanding,” she said. “But that doesn’t mean they’re an a–hole.”
FORMER TESLA EMPLOYEE QUIT TO LIVE IN HIS TESLA MODEL X
- Could you live out of your car? Real estate in San Francisco is so expensive, it’s a common thing for young single engineers or employees to sleep in vans or their cars, and that’s what one Tesla employee did who now documents his travels on YouTube. Nico has spoken to Clean Technica about ‘van life’, leaving Tesla and travelling across the country to deliver the Model 3 to his 80 year old grandfather in New Jersey. The article says “the commute was short and Tesla’s onsite gym, showers, and cafeteria made it a nice home base.”
PRICES AT THE PUMP ARE EXPECTED TO TOP $3 A GALLON
- Georgia Power ET – @georgiapowerET – ask “Is now the time to consider driving electric? Prices at the pump are expected to top $3 a gallon for unleaded gasoline in coming weeks, as the prices have risen now for the 10th consecutive week.”
I’d love to spread the word about electric cars so, if you can, share this somebody who might be interested.
You can listen to every previous episode of this podcast on iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, YouTube, TuneIn, Stitcher, and the blog https://www.evnewsdaily.com/ ? remember to subscribe, which means you don’t have to think about downloading the show each day, plus you get it first and free and automatically.
It would mean a lot if you could take 2mins to leave a quick review on whichever platform you download the podcast.
And if you have an Amazon Echo, download our Alexa Skill, search for EV News Daily and add it as a flash briefing.
Come and say hi on Facebook, LinkedIn or Twitter just search EV News Daily, have a wonderful day, and I’ll catch you tomorrow.
CONNECT WITH ME!